Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 00:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 320/223/155
BF:52%/28%/20%
Progress: 59%
Exclamation Not Losing? Why?

Maybe I just haven't looked hard enough, but I haven't seen a thread that just focuses on those times when the weight just doesn't come off. I am at that point right now. I even gained five pounds! I eat the way I am supposed to. I haven't even made it past the induction phase yet. I have been on induction for four going on five months now. Anyone have any advice. Have you gone through the same thing and then did something to change it? Let me know, or if you are having a hard time, write about it also.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 02:12
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there NoSpectato,

I think you really need to be more patient about this. The weight doesn't fall off all of us as quickly as we'd like, but it does go.

I just glanced at the last few entries in your journal, and see you are complaining about only losing 5 pounds a month. That is an excellent rate of loss!

The other thing that leapt out at me was your food intake. You don't seem to be eating nearly enough. One pork chop for dinner is neither balanced nor substantial enough. Plenty of vegies with plenty of butter on them complements your meat nicely.

Matey, I think all you need to do is relax about this, eat a bit more and try not to stress about things so much.

All the best.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 03:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

2 steps forward; one step back. Every time. I will lose sometimes as much as 15 lbs in a week, but gain 5-10 of it right back and STAY there for a month or two. Be patient. The temporary gains go away with the next whoosh.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 14:30
Registered Member

Unhappy Rosebud...

I know I tend to stress, but I was just saying that now it is averaging out that way. I probably haven't lost anything in a couple months if not more. I know that people have stalls, but it shouldn't be that bad. Especially if you have as much weight to lose as I do. I would be happy with a pound or two per week as long as I was seeing some progress.

I tried cutting out AS all together. It didn't work, all it did was give me cravings and have me thinking about cheating. I tried eating more fat, less fat, more food, less food, no cheese, you name it. I am getting really frustrated.

Oh, and I haven't had a whoosh for months.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 14:46

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Did you measure yourself in the beginning? Do your clothes feel any looser? You may be losing inches, but not pounds. I've gone through a few months where I have lost only a couple of pounds total - I know it is very frustrating, but please hang in there. I also have tendancy to lose pounds or inches, but not normally both at the same time. Weird isn't it!

I agree with Rosebud - one pork chop does not make a very good LC dinner. How many calories does fitday.com say you have in a day?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 14:50
Registered Member

Post Hmmmm.....

I have never been to Fitday.com. I was thinking about doing the Weight Watcher's diet and just make sure I am doing it low carb, but I think it might not work because of the fat content I need.

I have been measuring myself, but I am afraid that I am always doing it in a different place so that is why it might change from day to day. I will try it again though.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 21:03

Plan: Atkins since sept 22/02
Stats: 205/165/150 Female 5'8
BF:32/28/22
Progress: 73%
Unhappy not losing

Hi Alisha, I have stayed at the same weight now for about 5 weeks. It is very frustrating, isn't it. I got off to a very good fast start but now nothing.

Today when I logged on I actually got the whoosh fairy 3 times in a row!!! That's a first for me. She is usually very shy. Hope it's a good sign.

What's hard to fathom is not losing when I am eating a tiny fraction of the carbs I used to eat. Also I'm eating mostly fresh food, no bars etc. I'm on a low dose estrogen but still feel I should be losing something. Also, I lost several inches but nothing for weeks.

I've toyed with the idea of trying a thermogenic product but am afraid to since I am sensitive to caffine. If I have too much coffee my heart palpitates. I know most of those products are not regulated so I'm not confident about what's in them.

There is a thread about Xenadrine efx. The ingredients listed on the web site are all things that Dr. Atkins approves off. But what if there are things not listed??

Every day I remind myself that at least I haven't gained back what I lost. Also, my digestion has improved dramatically. I no longer need any fiber supplements etc. Never have heartburn or constipation anymore, used to have both all the time.

So I guess we need to hang in there. One of my customers came in last week. He has lost alot of weight on low carb. He mentioned that he stalled out all summer, but all of a sudden he started to lose again. He looks wonderfull and he's down about
50 lbs. So, love, where there's life, there's hope!!!

See ya soon, Nancy
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 22:08
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I probably haven't lost anything in a couple months if not more.

NoSpectato, I understand (and sympathize) that your weight loss has slowed, but reading your journal tells me that it's a lot less than "two months" since you lost any weight.

On October 27th, when you started your journal, you weighed 275. You are now 265. That 10 lbs down in the last month!

So once again, I'll tell you to be patient, and remember this is a way of eating for life, not a temporary diet.

Rosebud
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 22:54
Registered Member

Arrow Well...

I am now 270, I gained 5 back. But that is okay, I am seeing it coming off again slowly. I am thinking about putting the scale away for the holidays. I don't plan on cheating, but I figure, this is the time that most people gain weight, and if I can step on the scale on January 2nd and see that I am lighter, even by a pound, I will know that I was successful. Not just because of the weightloss, but because I can exercise self control, which in the past was but a dream. It is frustrating, and I might sound very desperate, but as I have said in the past, my overall health has improved (relieved my Gall Bladder pain and no more heartburn). I really don't think I would be able to go off the diet if I wanted to. I just don't want to be doing it wrong.

I was thinking about those thermogenic products also. I have tried them before and you have to be very careful. Especially with Xenadrine. I was taking them as suggested on the bottle and maybe the build up of the pills, or maybe I wasn't taking them at exactly the right time so they were too close together or something, but I couldn't even get up off of the couch without feeling like I was going to faint and I never ate a thing because my stomach was so upset. It felt like I just didn't want to eat, but when I did, it was nausiating. I wouldn't try something as strong as Xenadrine. And if you have heart troubles, I would leave them alone also. It isn't the caffine I worry about, it is the Ephedrine.

HLFan, thank you for your entry, it helps to hear how other people are going through the stalls. Let's me know I am not alone. Gives me reason to keep on truckin. CONGRATS on your visit from the Woosh fairy. Give her my address, will ya?
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-28-02, 16:31

Plan: Atkins since sept 22/02
Stats: 205/165/150 Female 5'8
BF:32/28/22
Progress: 73%
Default ephedra

Hi Alisha, in Canada Xenadrine does not have ephedra, not legal. the other ingredients are all in Dr. Atkins vitamin book. So I think I'll try a small dose and see if it helps. Will let you know.

Nancy, (see ya soon)
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 09:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 155/175/135 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: -100%
Default Stimlants

Hi guys

Just wanted to share with those considering stimultants. I have tried both Diet Fuel & Hydroxycut.

Hydroxycut made me feel very energetic (4 per day) and I worked out a lot initially. Then my body got used to it and I got lazy. BUt overall it was good for me.

Looking at my weight loss patterns though, I dont think it contributed much, maybe 1 lb a week sometimes.
Diet fuel drives me crazy it makes me spacey and it makes me HUNGRY!

Conculsion: Not worth polluting your body. Just keep LCing and get as much exercise a possible. Also vary our exercise every few weeks.

Hope that helps.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 01:31
Registered Member

Talking Stimulants

I started taking "HEAT" for the first time today. I took two while I was at work. I am a security guard at a bank and all I do is stand around, but then I get bored or tired and I sit for most of the day. Well, sitting was not an option today and now at 11pm, I am ready to sleep. I like it, it gave me the energy boost I needed. When I got on the scale when I got home, I was on the lighter side of five pounds when I am usually on the heavier side in the evening. In addition to taking those, I must admit I didn't eat too much. It made me full. For breakfast I had four small sausages and for lunch I had a can of tuna and mayonnaise. For dinner I had chicken with mayo. Oh, and for snack, I had less than a half a stick of gum which contained 2 carbs, so it was probably one or less than one. I know what you are thinking, "That isn't enough to eat", but actually, it is. And the reason I am not eating carbs is because I am not losing anymore and I wanted to say that I was doing my diet right when I wasn't losing, but I probably wasn't. I just realized the number of carbs in gum, I thought there was one, but not two. Sometimes I need extra salad dressing, or have breading on my chicken (Atkins bake mix), but I never measure it. I am just getting too used to eating without thinking, and I need for it not to send me back into eating a bunch of carbs again. So, I am back to none and then I will add little things later when carbs don't seem that much of a necessity anymore. But anyway, as I was saying, I like the stimulant because it gives me energy, and I figure the weight loss will follow. One pound a week is fine with me.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-02, 16:44
Registered Member

Stats: 156/153/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Hi! I am a "neighbor" of yours! Well, I don't know where you live, but I live in Henderson, NV. I have been on induction for4 weeks & lost nothing. But, I am breastfeeding, so people have told me my body will hold the weight until I stop. That should be in the next couple of weeks.

Anyway, from what I have read, you won't lose if you have 0 carbs. You need to eat 15-20. Be careful. You don't want to get sick.
Take care,
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-02, 20:26
Registered Member

Talking Hello Neighbor

I was reading the New Diet Revolution by Atkins the other day at work and was looking through the tips they had for beating your stalls, and it actually said to cut out all carbs. I have lost a lot since I did. I stayed at 270 for two months easily and since I have cut out all carbs and cut down my portions, I have lost 10 pounds. IT has been less than a week. I don't have cravings and I am not hungry. If I feel sick I will start eating carbs, otherwise, it is my plan to stay with what i am doing until I reach 225 and then add lettuce with mayo and then every 15 pounds add another carb serving until I stop losing and am at my ideal weight. People tell you to do this and don't do that, but I really think it is all about listening to your body. You will know if something isn't good for you by how it makes you feel. I know that when I was eating carbs, even the slightest bit, I was craving carbs to the point of almost cheating at times.

I am in Las Vegas - Karen and Maryland Parkway. I go to school in Henderson though. I have been here two years.

You have a baby? How wonderful. I have two friends who just gave birth a little while ago and it starts coming off all by itself in time also. Just make sure it is okay with your doctor that you are on the Atkins because I know it says something about pregnant women not doing it and when you are breast feeding, your baby is eating what you are and you need to make sure he/she has the proper nutrients. Good luck on induction, just give it a bit of time.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-02, 21:26
Registered Member

Stats: 156/153/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Hi,

I used to live at Oakie & Maryland. I went to LVAC on Karen. I have a friend at Canyon Club Apts. Do you live there? Anyway, we moved to Henderson after we got married. We bought a house here. I am originally from Simi Valley, CA.

My son is 10 1/2 months & doesn't breastfeed for his primary nutrition. He eats solids 5 times a day & breastfeeds more for comfort. I am going to start weaning him in the next couple of weeks when I figure out the best way to do it.

I think your right. I remember something about cutting your carbs to below 20. Whatever works for you. Like you said, listen to your body. I would like to try xenadrine after my baby is weaned. From what i have read, it is all natural. Is that right?

Good Luck! Sounds like your on your way!
Bye for now,