Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 12:00
<---The Crazy One!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: -/-/145 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 25%
Question Who has done the Egg Fast?

I decided to go on the egg fast. I was wondering if anybody else has done this? What were your results? How long did you do it for?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 12:18
Registered Member

Stats: 192/179/115 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 17%

What is this? Please explain

Elle
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 12:19
<---The Crazy One!

BF:

I think its when you just eat eggs for however long you want. I want to do it for a week..but my bf doesn't think its a good idea to go that long. One girl did it for 6days..she at 10hardboiled eggs a day... i love eggs..so i think i can survive ont hem for a while.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 12:47
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I guarantee you won't love eggs for long doing that!!

There are several threads about it under "Tips and Stalls", but for my OWN opinion... I think it would be unhealthy and unnecessary. I tried a modified fat fast, felt sick for the three days I managed to stick with it... I lost 5 lbs, but put it right back on!!

I seem to be having more luck upping my fat, and trying to make sure my calories aren't too high. I get carried away with the desserts, and my calories go sky high, then I gain!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 13:00
<---The Crazy One!

BF:

I go insane w/ the sf snacks..i just bought a box of whitman chocolates..good golly....those were worst than the sf hershy pb cups!! my bf and i were like..ugh..but they tasted sooo good!
Oh well..i'm gonna do the egg fast..i'll prob learn something from it at the end...like a t.v. show...maybe i'll play some cheezy music at the end and cry..lmao...i crack myself up.
I'm taking my atkins vitamins and drinking bathtubs full of water!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 13:01

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

I would say up the fat instead. I find eating one food for too long will cause a stall/gain when you go back to eating normally again.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 13:19
Fully Caffeinated

To each their own, I guess. Some lessons are only learned first-hand!

You may want to have your loved ones (and pets) stand UPwind for the duration...
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 14:35
<---The Crazy One!

BF:

that was sooo funny! my bf was right next to me when i read the upwind part.
I feellke i eat enough fat as it is... was thinking about cutting back on the fat..like only eat lean meats...what do ya'll think?? I've been eating a lot of steaks..so i need to cut back on those too...
Blah..i dont know..i've been doing this since June..but i still question the way i do this woe..i think i've been doing it incorrectly
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 14:55
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Have you read the book? It is impossible to do Atkins low fat, he states that clearly many times.

Eggs are a wonderful source of protien, and have a great protien to fat ration. However you would have to eat a ton of eggs to meet your caloric needs. Eating too few calories can stall your weight loss. I have to stay above 1400 calories or I stall completely. 10 large eggs only have 745 calories and 6g of carbs, no fiber.

As for the eating to much fat. Atkins is a high fat diet. Carbs and to a much lesser degree protien, effect your blood sugar. Fat is the only completely nutral substance. If you cut fat, in order to keep your claories the same you would have to add 2g of carb or protien for each gram of fat you cut. Fat has 9 cals per g, protien and carbs 4. On induction fat should make up 60-70% of your calories.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 15:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 330/276/150 Female 5' 1/2
BF:WAY TOO MUCH!!!
Progress: 30%

I did the modified fat fast (pg. 274) in New Diet Revolution for 4 days last month (mostly eggs and bacon every meal or the chicken w/mayo)... It did not really help much. I did loose 2 pounds on it and it got me back into ketosis. After I went back on induction the 2 pounds came back though and made me feel frustrated.I was having a hard time with the constipation too so I stayed on the regular induction till this week(now am doing the CAD,with a reward meal allowed, which is very similar to Adkins for the breakfast and lunch meals.). I have not lost or gained this week but am feeling so much better having a few things I've really craved. The higher fiber content is better for me too. If I don't start loosing by end of next week I will go back to Adkins compleately.
Good luck on the egg fast and post exactly what you ate/How often...& how it works for you. I find if you boil all the eggs and cook all your bacon to last for a few days at a time it helps a lot too so your not enticed by a lot of the other foods in your kitchen while your in there. Remember to keep your diary to make sure you don't cheat cause you don't want to put several days into it then find out it was for nothing because of an unnoticed no no you were doing. It really does help to keep you on track better. If you don't have the book post again and I'll type up the section on it so you'll know exactly how to do it.
Pat
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 15:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 330/276/150 Female 5' 1/2
BF:WAY TOO MUCH!!!
Progress: 30%

Ladybelle is right that normally the calorie content is ignored on Atkins but for the fat fasts the rules are different(see book).
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 21:49
<---The Crazy One!

BF:

my egg fast lasted a grand total of 7 hours..i felt horrible...it was weird..it wasn't even a whole day..but my body kept telling me that this just isn't the way to go....i think i'm just gonna stick to normal atkins...eat my meats and veggies and be happy. I feel comfy at the weight i am..but i wouldn't mind being 2 sizes smaller... oh well...thanks for your support guys! and i know the egg fast thing was a silly idea..my bf told me that from the start.
So if i were to eat lean meats..it wouldn't be good? i thought some ppl on this forum eat lean meat? I need to get my caloric intake to about 1400...its been about 1800 lately...i find that i eat alot...i rmember when i first did this woe..my hunger level went down..now its skyrocketed..and i dont know waht to do about it
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 20:16
Fully Caffeinated

Live and learn...

As for the fat question, most people find they lose better on a higher fat percentage. If you're worried about animal fat, try using more olive oil, etc. Personally, I think a low-fat version of Atkins just wouldn't be as effective.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 21:26

Plan: low cal,less pro. atkins
Stats: 138/130/118 Female 179 centimeters
BF:
Progress: 40%

Potato. Why do you think that the fat fast did not work for you? I never realized it, but because I am so lean, I had to decrease my calories AND increase my fat to be able to lose the fat I do have.
Inevitably, since high fat=high calorie, I daily eat a few meals that are like an ounce of nuts, or something or other. I can't eat great big meals all the day long.

Vpeach, if anything else, just forget about fasting and stick to induction to the letter. On induction, if your not doing it already, forget about snacks. Just go breakfast-an omlette, as it says. For lunch,-a salad and a bit of meat, keeping it high in fat, low carb, as the book says.
Dinner, a salad and the same high fat, protein and low carb. You read the book so I suppose you are already doing this, but I do know that in some people, that little bit of chocolate or soemthing of a snack can cause weight delay or ensue cravings.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 21:38
Fully Caffeinated

It "worked" for as long as I could stand it... which wasn't long. I felt like crap, and didn't have enough energy to lift my son, which is NOT an option for a single parent of a kid w/ a disability..nobody to catch us if I faint!