Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 14:14

Plan: Dr. Poon
Stats: 196/186/165 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

We've had our Tanita since Christmas. Our doctor uses a higher end model that provides us with a detailed print-out of our body composition. I have noticed that my scale shows a slightly different result than his, both for weight and body fat percentage. Does anyone know if the home scales can be calibrated...and how do I do it?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 22:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282.6/273.1/225 Male 6' 3"
BF:34/33/17%
Progress: 16%

The difference in reading could be the time of day you're weighing yourself.

In the morning, your weight and body fat % will be at its lowest.

I purchased a Tanita scale about 6 weeks ago. I found that my old scale was only off by 1lb, but since it was a very good scale, I was still suprised to see that difference.

The body fat scales are awesome. Often times when I am not losing weight, I can see that my body fat is still going down (which means I'm putting on muscle through my workouts). In addition to 43lbs of lost weight, I can see that I've dropped from 39.1% body fat to 28.8%.

I bought the BF682
http://www.tanita.com/BodyFatFAMILY.shtml
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 14:06
Registered Member

Plan: Warrior LC
Stats: 222/201/191 Male 180 cm
BF:30%/12%/12%
Progress: 68%
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlinton
We've had our Tanita since Christmas. Our doctor uses a higher end model that provides us with a detailed print-out of our body composition. I have noticed that my scale shows a slightly different result than his, both for weight and body fat percentage. Does anyone know if the home scales can be calibrated...and how do I do it?

If you know your BF% from an external source (and I would say that only a visual estimate from a picture good enough):

set your age and length up or down in increments of 5 years or 2 inches to get the requested BF%. Now it is calibrated for your personal bodycomposition. Afther this it will give an accurate reading for the next period of time (6 months to a year?).

Remember to measure at the same time of the day, preferably in the evening before dinner and before workout. Take beforehand at least 1 liter of water and eat and drink not in the hour before measuring. Go to the toilet before measuring.
Place your measurements in excel and just keep an eye on the trendline in your grafh of your fatmass. That will tell you really accurate how you are doing!

Succes