Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 16:00
Cracker in Asia

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/195/175 Male 5'8.5"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Osted this a while back, now I'm back living in the states....

Want to give you guys some info on some natural products that truely documented to effective in normalizing blood glucose levels in Diabetics.

I don't know this boards policies but I want to state that I am not financially involved with the selling of these products & am putting this info up solely to help Diabetics. I personally have used (& continue to use) these products here in Asia & have always lamented that they were not available in the USA

However I recently attended the 'NNFA 68th Annual Natural Products Convention and Trade Show' in Las Vegas & was happy to find both of the following companies known to me with effective natural products for treatment of Diabetes are now in the US market

(1)
Himalaya Heathcare in India has been manufacturing herbal medicines commerically since the 1930's! This means they have been in this business for over 75 years. They are one of the most highly respected companies in India & their products are widely advertised & sold all across India. Their Blood glucose formula is a long standing & mature product. See the link within this link to over 26 scientific papers on this product

http://www.himalayahealthcare.com/products/diabecon.htm

Here is how to find in USA (they have different name for it here)
http://www.himalayausa.com/products/gluco/pg_1.html

I 1st came in contact w/this company over 30 years ago & they really know what they are doing. Diabecon/Glucocare is very good I & several other type II Diabetics I know here in Singapore take this product & Bottom Line is it works, it really helps normalize BG levels & I believe it is one of if not the best non prescription medicine for Type II diabetes in the world

If you are Type II Diabetic do yourself a favour & check out this economical but effective product

(II)
Here in Asia Bittermelon (also known as Ampalaya)Tea has long been a natural remedy for High Blood Glucose Levels/Diabetes. Over the past few decades its has been packaged commercially & sold in the Philippines as an economical Diabetes treatment. The largest producer is the company who makes the 'Charantea' brand of Bitter Melon Tea & Capsules. It is carried by the largest pharmacy chain in the Philippines (Guardian) in over 10,000 stores. I 1st ran into & started using the product about 6/7 years ago when I was 1st diagnosed as prediabetic. It does work very well & there is HUGE library of scientific studies to back it up

The president of the company that makes 'Charantea', Mr Joseph Buenconsejo & his wife (who is an MD) have retired in the USA, & set up an operation to bring this product to the US market. I met the Mr Buenconsejo & his MD wife at the Las Vegas show & they seemed genuinely dedicated & were very excited to meet an American who was familiar with their products & knew that they were a well established & highly respected company in the Philippines. I also walked away from meeting them with a real 'glow' & hope they are very sucessful in bringing their knowledge in natural Diabetes mangement to the whole world

Here is the website where you can order the product & even look at all the scientific studies regarding Ampalya's effect in lowering elevated Blood Glucose Levels in Diabetics

I personally use this product & for me it works. Here is the website

http://www.charanteausa.com/

To be fair I ran into another Philippines owned & managed company at the show that has also brought Ampalaya to the US market & here is a link to their site. I chatted w/this group at the show & they are also having a very good sucess in the US market

http://www.DIAGREEN.com

Once again I hope that this post is received in the spirit it was posted in, one of sharing information on how to control diabetes naturally through diet, exercise & vita-nutrients without letting the US pharmiceutical/medical cartel get you hooked on their drugs which make them richer while you get sicker

I look forward to any & all comments on this post
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 13:56

Stats: 241/223/135 Female 5'6"
BF:??/44/30
Progress: 17%

Since i started the vitamin D, the dry skin on my calves has gone away. It was not just a little dry skin either.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 14:29

Stats: 360/225/160 Female 68"
BF:30%
Progress: 68%
Default I've been thinking about this a lot lately.

And it really makes me angry. The use of these simple and cheap supplements has done more to help my diabetes than any of the expensive prescription crap I've been taking for the past 9 years.

But when you think about it why would these simple and cheap alternatives be advertised. There is nothing to be patented, nothing that you can't find on line or at your local vitamin store.

Cinammon
Vitamin D
Calcium and Magnesium
Organic apple cider vinegar

So no large pots of money for the pharmaceutical industry to make.

And who loses? We all do.

Diabetes is a multi billion dollar a year industry and growing. They don't want this epidemic to go away. There's too much money to be made. New drugs, new ways to take insulin, new glucose meters, ka-ching, ka-ching, ka-ching.

That's why this forum is so valuable. Because it tells the truth.
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 14:55

Plan: Protein Power /Bernstein
Stats: 250/225/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 25%

Ditto for me, MD! I have been faithfully following induction (20 grams of carbs) for the last 2 weeks as well as the supplements you mentioned. My bs dropped from 164 to 105! I was not able to lower it on metformin and I always hated that low blood sugar feeling. I also take alpha lipoic and GLA at night as recommended by Dr. Bernstein.

I am not sure I can attribute my success to any one thing, but I guess they work together synergistically. Not eating much of a glycemic load has to be of primary importance but the supplements really contribute to health in so many ways.

Maybe some day there will be more of an integrated medicine approach where diet, supplements and exercise are strongly recommended first and then prescribe drugs as needed. The MDs and naturopaths would be a team up.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 15:03
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwilson43
And it really makes me angry. The use of these simple and cheap supplements has done more to help my diabetes than any of the expensive prescription crap I've been taking for the past 9 years.

But when you think about it why would these simple and cheap alternatives be advertised. There is nothing to be patented, nothing that you can't find on line or at your local vitamin store.

Cinammon
Vitamin D
Calcium and Magnesium
Organic apple cider vinegar

So no large pots of money for the pharmaceutical industry to make.

And who loses? We all do.

Diabetes is a multi billion dollar a year industry and growing. They don't want this epidemic to go away. There's too much money to be made. New drugs, new ways to take insulin, new glucose meters, ka-ching, ka-ching, ka-ching.
Preach it, sister!!! Preach it!!!
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 17:01
Cracker in Asia

Stats: 240/195/175 Male 5'8.5"
BF:
Progress: 69%

'When I think of all the crap I learned in high school, it's a wonder I can think at all'
Paul Simon's famous phrase still rings true to this day

I remember 3 years ago when I dropped to induction level carbs & starting taking supplements watching my BG levels get dead normal & weight start to hit normal levels too how blown away I was. This after taking sulfonyeas for years & getting slowly worse & the doctor wanting then to start me on insulin. Like someone above said it appears the pharma-medical cartel doesn't want to make cure you, they use drugs to stabilize/manage the symptoms & if you follow this road you get slowly worse while spending tons of $$., its like dealer to a junkie. sad scenario repeated literally millions of times a day

In their defense I have to admit is the average patient, does not have the discipline nor desire to alter their lifestyle. They are often in denial & looking for the magic pill/the easy way out

Its just one more aspect of your life where you finally learn, once again, that the 'experts' & powers that be are totally full of sh1te!

What you have to do is become proactive. The doctor is not there 24/7; you are. You need to educate yourself, become involved & change your lifestyle while fine tuning the triumvate of diet/exercise/supplements by testing, adusting, restesting until you find the combination that works for you.

I think Dr Bernstein's greatest lesson is his 'Law of Small Changes'

Make a small change
evalaute
incorporate or discard
move on to the next small change,. etc...

Last edited by shawnee : Mon, Mar-20-06 at 17:14.
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 20:32

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Okay, I'll chime in...

Is there any issue with taking around 4000 IU's a day, year round if one lives way up north?

I think that may be extreme in an otherwise healthy individual, but the thought is an interesting one to me.

More likely, I am thinking of upping my vitamin D looking to maintain BS, or even drop it (my last fasting BS was 102) and I have also read that D helped digestion. I am looking for a good way to remove my acid reflux meds from my life.

Currently I take a Calcium/Magnesium/D (2 tablets daily) suppliment that provides (daily totals)-
40mg Vitamin C
200 IU Vitamin D (From Cholecalciferol)
500 mg Calcium (from Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Citrate and Calcium Amino Acid Chelate)
200 mg Magnesium (from Magnesium Oxide)
10mg Zinc (Zinc Sulfate)
1.32mg Copper (Copper Gluconate)
1.66 mg Manganese (Manganese Citrate)

I also get -
400 iu of vitamin D-3
300 mg Magnesium
750 mg Calcium
All from my daily super multi vities.

So basically I am geting at least 600 iu of D, 500 mg Magnesium and 1250mg of calcium in a day.

If I were to up my vitamin D to 1000 iu, would I also need consider upping any other suppliments to benefit the D? Would 1000 iu be helpful?

Also the ACV thing, I just picked up some Braggs and had a big tablespoonful in about 6 oz of water. That was areal bugger to get down! It seems to have helped a wee bit with the acid reflux. But it is some powerful stuff! I may try some DaVinchi's syrup or some splenda to make it less abusive to my palet...ideas?
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Mar-21-06, 07:18
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfGumby
Okay, I'll chime in...

Is there any issue with taking around 4000 IU's a day, year round if one lives way up north?

I think that may be extreme in an otherwise healthy individual, but the thought is an interesting one to me.

More likely, I am thinking of upping my vitamin D looking to maintain BS, or even drop it (my last fasting BS was 102) and I have also read that D helped digestion. I am looking for a good way to remove my acid reflux meds from my life.

Currently I take a Calcium/Magnesium/D (2 tablets daily) suppliment that provides (daily totals)-
40mg Vitamin C
200 IU Vitamin D (From Cholecalciferol)
500 mg Calcium (from Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Citrate and Calcium Amino Acid Chelate)
200 mg Magnesium (from Magnesium Oxide)
10mg Zinc (Zinc Sulfate)
1.32mg Copper (Copper Gluconate)
1.66 mg Manganese (Manganese Citrate)

I also get -
400 iu of vitamin D-3
300 mg Magnesium
750 mg Calcium
All from my daily super multi vities.

So basically I am geting at least 600 iu of D, 500 mg Magnesium and 1250mg of calcium in a day.

If I were to up my vitamin D to 1000 iu, would I also need consider upping any other suppliments to benefit the D? Would 1000 iu be helpful?

Also the ACV thing, I just picked up some Braggs and had a big tablespoonful in about 6 oz of water. That was areal bugger to get down! It seems to have helped a wee bit with the acid reflux. But it is some powerful stuff! I may try some DaVinchi's syrup or some splenda to make it less abusive to my palet...ideas?

I take 4,000 IU of vitamin D during the summer and I live in Washington, DC!!! I don't feel "normal" otherwise. So no, there is no detriment to taking 4,000 IU of vitamin D year round. Many experts recommend taking 1,000-2,000 IUs during the summer and upping that during winter months.

More importantly, correcting a vitamin D deficiency requires at least 3 months of megadosing in vitamin D, 7,000-14,000 IU per day depending on relevent factors, to correct deficiency symptoms, i.e., IBS, digestion problems, hypertension, BS, bone and muscle weakness, etc, etc, etc.

If you really want to get your BS under control do get the gymnema sylvestre. It actually heals and regenerates the pancreas beta cells which produces insulin.

ACV--That was way too little water to take with the ACV. No wonder you had that reaction!!! Please do not use a "sweetener" with it. Just have it in more water--like 16 ounces of it.

Your calcium and magnesium look good. You don't have to increase it though you could up the magnesium to around 900 mg if you wanted.

Vitamin C--What you're taking isn't anywhere near enough to clean your gut and promote healing. I suggest 6,000-12,000 mg a day for the same three months that you're megadosing with vitamin D.

Digestion--I recommend Peptidase Complete digestive enzymes before meals.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Mar-21-06, 08:12

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Thanks for the quick reply..

I knew I could count on you!

BTW, I am also taking a C suppliment that provides me with 500 to 750 mg of C if I take it 3 times daily....I see that is still a bit low, so up, up, up it goes!!!

I will keep on the ACV and use much more water. What about adding the ACV into water and lemon?
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Mar-21-06, 08:19

This is the best advise on this board. There was something on Good Morning America about the dangers of supplements. Did anyone see it? I had to go to work.
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Mar-21-06, 08:38

I get what I considered plenty too, but the supplement has helped my dry skin .
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Mar-21-06, 10:06
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfGumby
Thanks for the quick reply..
I will keep on the ACV and use much more water. What about adding the ACV into water and lemon?
That's fine. I add ACV to my water bottle twice a day
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Mar-21-06, 15:03
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
If you really want to get your BS under control do get the gymnema sylvestre. It actually heals and regenerates the pancreas beta cells which produces insulin.

Just for the record, I am faithfully taking gymnema sylvestre from Standard processing(4g) for more than a year and don't see any changes in my BGs. My numbers are pretty good (last Hb1c was 5.2%) except for the fasting, which never <110 and most of the time hangs around 120. If this was a miracle herb, my FBG should be in 80-90 range by now and I will be cured from diabetes.
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Mar-21-06, 15:29
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnee

I personally have used (& continue to use) these products here in Asia & have always lamented that they were not available in the USA
Many herbal supplements manufacturing in India are available in US, most of them being shippied directly from India. There is something else to consider when purchasing these products: how safe are they! Some of the herbal Aurvedic supplements manufactured in India contain a very high level of mercury, arsenic, and other heavy metals, and are quite toxic!
http://www.health24.com/dietnfood/F...-2945,30358.asp

Quote:
Diabecon/Glucocare is very good I & several other type II Diabetics I know here in Singapore take this product & Bottom Line is it works, it really helps normalize BG levels & I believe it is one of if not the best non prescription medicine for Type II diabetes in the world

It does sounds like a commercia, but glad it is working for youJust a quick question: why do you need to follow a very strict Dr.Bernstein plan if the herbs alone can normalize your BGs?
I haven't treid Diabecon but Glucocare (took it faithfully for 6 months) was truly a waste of money for me, same as Diabecine, Glucobetic (took for 9 months), and Gymnema Sylvestre (still taking it just to finish off the supply).
Quote:
If you are Type II Diabetic do yourself a favour & check out this economical but effective product

First, they are not so economal: a month supply comes to at least, $30 or so. Second, if these wonder herbs are so good for diabetes, how come there are millions of diabetics in India alone (and other South Asian countries). I can imagine being native, they are familiar and have an easy access to all those herbal remedies, which I believe are much chaper in India. Also, if these are locally grow herbs, they probably can be purchased fresh and then made into teas and added to cooked dishes (like fenugreek). Even if you are not financially affiliated with any of this companies, be careful when promoting any herbal product.
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Mar-21-06, 15:40
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina1957
Just for the record, I am faithfully taking gymnema sylvestre from Standard processing(4g) for more than a year and don't see any changes in my BGs. My numbers are pretty good (last Hb1c was 5.2%) except for the fasting, which never <110 and most of the time hangs around 120. If this was a miracle herb, my FBG should be in 80-90 range by now and I will be cured from diabetes.
That's unusual. My diabetic clients have had great results with gymnema sylvestre leaves. I've had people drop from BGs of up to the high 500s to low 100s and below. People on the board have had good results with the regimen also.

Are you taking it with food? How many times a day? Consistently?

You might be the exception to the rule.

I'm sorry to hear you haven't had good results.