Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Aug-26-20, 18:03

Plan: own modified
Stats: 238/212/176 Female 180
BF:
Progress: 42%

Yes, I will have to watch what I eat as well as the amount I eat. My trouble is - and always has been that I am a poor eater, that is I don't actually like the majority of food, well its not that I dislike the taste, the thought of eating a steak (and most other things) is so unappealing, I'm just not bothered about it - and I will try and explain.

If I knew that I didn't have to eat, and if my stomach didn't send pangs that said 'you need to put something in me' then I think I would never bother eating. So, previously it was easier to grab a biscuit (but I have a sweet tooth, so one biscuit becomes a packet), or two thick slices of nice fresh bread with a thick layer of home made jam.

I don't eat fruit at all, although am forcing myself to eat an apple a day. By choice I could just sit with a bowl of fresh raw vegetables - peas, cauliflower, brussell sprouts (yes raw), radishes and some baby green shoots. But nice and appealing as this is it does not satisfy the hunger and that is when I have been eating the wrong things.

I have started to do a lot of reading about what I should and should not be eating and I am trying to find things that will do the same thing as say a piece of steak. I did start by thinking I could eat delicatescent meat. But after reading about that, well most of it is processed and full of salt - which is no good for diet or health.

So I am re-educating myself, my body, my taste buds. I am looking at alternatives for a steak etc. I will get there!

I might add, that knowing what a shocking eater I am, what awful food habits and taste buds I have I have made a concerted effort with my children and I can tell you I have brought up 3 people with the best eating habits you could wish for. I am very proud of them.

So I will continue to perservere and just wish I could have woken up properly 20 years ago. But better late than never.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Aug-26-20, 18:10

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Perhaps simply add slices of chicken or steak to your lovely salad.

My teen will do this. Though he is the opposite.lol. he could eat steak all day and pass on the salad. When he puts them together, it works.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Aug-26-20, 18:13

BF:

Salt is not a problem. Delicatessen meats like salami along with , say, chopped provelone, is great on a salad. Especially with sn Italien dressing.

Good luck. Im sure you will figure this out.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Aug-26-20, 18:23

BF:

Once again, thank you everyone for your continued comments and ideas. For those of you who have a broad support group around you - well I suppose you wouldn't really understand the feeling I get in knowing that there are a group of people who are on a similar journey to me and who are or who have conquered the issues I am facing. So everyone thank you.

I have started to read other postings on the forum to see hints and ideas and read about other people's journey, and I'm realising, more than I did when I lost some weight before, that it is only going to be in totally relearning my eating habits that will help me keep the weight off and stay off.

I need to find foods that do the job of keeping carbs low and ketones up, that send the message to my stomach that I have eaten enough. So I will keep listening, reading and learning and hopefully see the weight go off.

One thing I have realised from the readings is that if I stop eating, my body will go into starvation mode and I will stop losing weight. I am also aware that this is not healthy, and my new eating plan and my exercise is because I want to be healthier.

Thanks everyone.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Aug-26-20, 18:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Are you ok with fat?
A big raw salad with all the veggies you mention shredded up, with maybe chopped almonds, or chopped egg, or shredded cheese or chopped cooked tofu (diced ham?) and then lots of olive oil and lemon?

Good for you to take this time for yourself now.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Aug-26-20, 20:36

BF:

Looks like a good time to set up a journal. Its a place to visit and list info .......

Yup. Too few calories and the body slows its BMR.

You might be interested in learning more about fasting.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Aug-26-20, 21:20

BF:

Thanks Blue Ruby and Ms Ariel

Yes chicken in the salad and cheese would go down well. I have no problem with fat (makes things tasty).

And I will go and have a look at the journal section with the idea of starting one.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Aug-27-20, 12:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

I think you are expecting too much. They say that a healthy weightloss is about 1-2lbs a week, so you've done great.

Set your sights lower in terms of how quickly you can lose it.

Look at this 8lb tub of lard

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lundy-s-...b-Tub/133167717

You've basically lost almost three of these in three months.. One per month. That is a LOT of lard. Even if you had lost one tub it would have been amazing.. You need to change your mentality with weightloss and accept that you won't always see progress - some weeks there will be no weightloss, sometimes a slight gain, and you just have to dig in, keep going and do some tweaks until you start losing again.

People say that significant weightloss doesn't really show until towards the end. For the last three months any weightloss I had didn't show. I still looked the same in photos. Then suddenly about two weeks ago, absolutely everyone started commenting that I'd lost weight. I even looked too thin in the odd photo, lol.

Good luck with the onward journey. Keep on keeping on.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Aug-28-20, 04:30

BF:

Kirsteen, I posted a reply to you earlier on today to thank you for your comments - also for the picture of the tub of lard. Does help to put things into perspective - now if only I can find out what part of me it came off :-)) I will take note of what you have said about changing mentality and not expecting too much. I thought I had pressed Post but maybe I accidently deleted it. Anyway here it is again.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Aug-31-20, 02:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

Hi Alex, you're very welcome.

It gets much, much easier, I promise you. The adjustment is the most difficult thing.

I listened to loads of podcasts of ex-addicts talking about addiction recovery, and I had to keep my hands busy. I still avoid photos and discussion of "low-carb" sweet "treats" like the plague.

I changed my mentality on "treats": mine became flowers, scent, candles, toiletries, new clothes, smoked trout, speciality cheese, excellent coffee with lots of cream, etc. I don't even bother with food treats now. My "treat" now we're entertaining people in the garden is buying cheap little vintage serving items on Ebay. Guests can eat the scones, but my treat is admiring the lovely porcelain whose flowers and gold trim are so pretty in the garden sunshine. I have indulged when visiting other people (good manners prevent gluttony, lol) but I just skip a meal afterwards and it's fine. The diet is easy now and the liberation from the cravings is the most amazing thing!

Have you read any books about the science behind low-carb diets? Dr. Atkins explains it very simply in his New Diet Revolution book, which you can buy second-hand on Amazon. Even if you follow a different diet, his book is worth reading cover to cover. It was a life-changer for me.

You might find the list of acceptable foods for the Atkins diet helpful, as a way of determining what you can eat most of.

https://www.atkins.com/how-it-works...oods#acceptable

You needn't eat steaks and loads of meat on Atkins. I don't.

I suggest that you could make a list here of 20 main meals you'd choose if someone treated you to a restaurant meal in your favourite restaurants or bars. Then maybe forum members can suggest low-carb alternatives using similar ingredients.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Mon, Aug-31-20 at 03:02.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Aug-31-20, 08:34

BF:

You might want to reconsider that apple. We carb count for a reason. The carbs supply the fuel. When carbs are low enough, the body switches to fat, either those provided by eating or from body stores.

You will learn more and faster if you pick a plan and work it rather than recreating the wheel. Atkins and Westmann make their plans publicly available at no cost.

Its hard to convey all the info in s 400 pg book like DANDR. The abridged version is posted on this forum.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Aug-31-20, 12:09

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

DietDoctor.com is another fabulous resource. They do have a membership plan but there is a lot of great free stuff there too including a 2-week eating plan. You can get a free trial membership (forget if it's one week or two) and that also entitles you to join them member Facebook group if you are a FB type. If you cancel the trial I don't think they kick you off the group, LOL. Lots of folks from Oz there who could probably give advice on where to find certain products or foods, etc.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Aug-31-20, 14:32

BF:

Thank you everyone. I must do a bit more reading on carbs in food. I'm trying to go low carb as I know that will help lose weight, but I'm also aware I need to stay healthy. I don't eat fruit, it is something that never has appealed, but I thought it was about time I added some to my diet. It would appear not!.

Because I am a poor eater who has lived on picking and nibbling on whatever - usually something not good for me - I'm mindful that it is going to be a slow progress for me as I have to re educate myself about food.

But thank you for suggestions and ideas. I am finding them all helpful and the more I read the better educated I feel.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Aug-31-20, 14:40

BF:

On 20-30 carbs a day.

Check out how many green beans that is. Or summer squash. Or make a salad and see how big it is.

Its not "no carbs" but selecting the lowest carbs with the most nutrients.

Note: I have a vegetable garden. And since learning about DANDR 20 years ago, I eat a greater variety of veggies now v. then.

Work with the foods you do like. Start there. That is the beauty of DANDR. Its choices of veg, and meats is BIG, so you CAN have the foods that fit your tastes.

Change is hard. You will make the changes that work for you.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Aug-31-20, 15:02

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

As a starter, I think a diet of the veggies you describe, plus deli meat would actually not be as bad a diet as you seem to think. Deli meats aren't perfect--still more nutritious, generally than baked goods. Also--unless you have an individual health reason to avoid salt, i wouldn't. People are told to avoid salt. What do they do? They avoid salt when cooking at home, don't add salt to food at home. And then wonder why processed, or fast food, potato chips etc. is so much more appealing than home cooking. Making wholesome food and then adding salt to it, you have to weigh in the benefit of making food that's actually good for you to start with more appealing in when considering the pro's and con's of adding the salt.