Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-10-07, 15:49

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 178/151/145 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 82%
Question I think I fail to grasp Phase II

Can you folks settle a point of confusion for me?

I'm in my second week of Phase II, and I'm trying to sort out the adding-back thing. Is it that you can add in a class of foods at a time? Or is it that you can add in a single food at a time? So, should I be thinking that I'm adding in "starchy veggies", or "sweet potatoes"?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-10-07, 16:11
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by -o-
Can you folks settle a point of confusion for me?

I'm in my second week of Phase II, and I'm trying to sort out the adding-back thing. Is it that you can add in a class of foods at a time? Or is it that you can add in a single food at a time? So, should I be thinking that I'm adding in "starchy veggies", or "sweet potatoes"?

Sweet potatoes are a starchy veggie...so if you have a serving of sweet potato, that is one of your starch servings for the day. Our goal is to build up to 2-3 servings of starch per day and still see weight loss.....make sense yet?

I was not able to eat that much starch each day and still lose weight, so my starch was very limited while I was losing. I did and still do have 2-3 fruits a day though.

Did you review the phase II food list?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-07, 11:54

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Here's a great piece of advice that was passed on to me by foxgluvs when I was about to start introducing carbs on Phase II: Adding back carbs

Hope you find it helpful too
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-07, 16:22

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 178/151/145 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 82%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
Here's a great piece of advice that was passed on to me by foxgluvs when I was about to start introducing carbs on Phase II: Adding back carbs

Hope you find it helpful too

So it looks like she's doing categories of things, rather than specific things... Adding back 'a fruit' that might be an apple on Tuesday, but a pear on Thursday?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-07, 17:27
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by -o-
So it looks like she's doing categories of things, rather than specific things... Adding back 'a fruit' that might be an apple on Tuesday, but a pear on Thursday?

Yes, exactly, you get to chose which fruit you eat each day, the list of acceptable fruit is below as is the Meal Plan Guide for phase II.

While it recommends a cereal as a breakfast, this does not work for many as it triggers craving the rest of the day. I start my day with 1/2 cup yogurt. We each need to find foods that work for us and that we enjoy!!

There are 2 categories of foods that you'll be adding back in now...Fruits and Starches. Fruits are in a category by themselves. Starches can be a starchy veggie and or a grain. It is best to go in order of no processed food to start, ie: 1 fruit per day and or a starchy veggie like a sweet potato and work your way up to processed grains in the form of whole grain cereals and breads much later in your weight loss.

Quote:
How to adapt your meal plan - Phase 2

In Phase 2, you'll gradually begin to reintroduce healthy carbohydrates into your diet. Here's how to do it: Week one and two: Add in two good carb choices daily. We suggest you reintroduce fruit at lunch, dinner, or as a snack, but it's not the best choice first thing in the morning at breakfast. We recommend a high-fiber cereal for breakfast. Week three and four: move to four good carbs choices daily: 1-2 fruits and 1-2 starches. Read more advice on reintroducing carbs here. Want specific food choices? You can now eat anything from the Phase 1 Foods to Enjoy list as well as items from the Phase 2 Foods to Reintroduce list.

BREAKFAST
Protein: Quantity is not limited. Start with a 2 oz. portion, eat slowly, go back for seconds if still hungry.
vegetables:Minimum 1/2 cup or 6-8 oz. tomato or vegetable juice.
fruit: 1 fruit serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 3 total servings for the day.
starch:1 starch serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 2 or 3 total servings for the day.
Milk/Dairy:2-3 cups allowed daily (including yogurt)
Fat: 1 tsp mayonnaise, trans-free margarine, or oil (optional)

LUNCH
Protein: Quantity is not limited. Start with a 3 oz. portion, eat slowly, go back for seconds if still hungry.
vegetables: Minimum 2 cups.
We encourage you to include a serving of beans (1/3-1/2 cup) as part of your vegetables.

fruit:1 fruit serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 3 total servings for the day.
starch:1 starch serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 2 or 3 total servings for the day.
milk/dairy: 2-3 cups allowed daily (including yogurt)
Fat: 1 Tbsp mayonnaise, trans-free margarine or oil, or 2 Tbsp salad dressing

DINNER
Protein: Quantity is not limited. Start with a 3 oz. portion, eat slowly, go back for seconds if still hungry.
vegetables: Minimum 2 cups.
We encourage you to include a serving of beans (1/3-1/2 cup) as part of your vegetables.

fruit: 1 fruit serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 3 total servings for the day.
starch: 1 starch serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 2 or 3 total servings for the day.
milk/dairy: 2-3 cups allowed daily (including yogurt)
Fat: 1 Tbsp mayonnaise, trans-free margarine or oil, or 2 Tbsp salad dressing

SNACKS AND DESSERT
Snacks and dessert are optional. Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, artificially sweetened non-fat flavored yogurt, nuts/seeds, or some of your Sweet Treat allowance. A snack that combines protein (1 oz.) and vegetables is encouraged.

SWEET TREATS
Sweet Treats are products that contain sugar alcohols. You can enjoy them throughout the day to satisfy your sweet tooth — just limit yourself to roughly 75 calories worth per day to avoid any GI distress.
See a list of Sweet Treat options here

BEVERAGES
Diet, decaffeinated, sugar-free drinks are not limited. You can enjoy caffeinated coffee or diet sodas with caffeine added, but limit to 1 - 2 servings per day.

Phase II food list:

Quote:
Phase II food list
Foods you can reintroduce to your diet

BEEF
All hot dogs (beef, pork, poultry, soy) can be enjoyed occasionally (once/week) if they are at least 97% fat free (contain 3-6 grams of fat/serving).

FRUIT (Start with one daily serving, gradually increase to 3 total servings daily)
Apples - 1 small or 5 dried rings
Apricots - 4 fresh or 7 dried
Banana, medium-sized (4 oz.)
Berries, all - 3/4 cup
Cactus Pear Fruit (Prickly Pear)
Cantaloupe - 1/4, or 1 cup diced
Cherries - 12
Grapefruit - 1/2
Grapes - 15
Kiwi - 1
Mangoes - 1/2 medium (4 oz.)
Oranges - 1 medium
Papaya - 1 small (4 oz.)
Peaches - 1 medium
Pears - 1 medium
Plantain
Plums - 2
Prunes - 4
Tangerines

MILK/DAIRY
(2-3 cups allowed daily, including yogurt)
Yogurt
artificially sweetened non-fat flavored yogurt (limit to 4 ounces daily and avoid varieties that contain high fructose corn syrup)

STARCHES (Start with one daily serving, gradually increase to 3 total servings daily.) Unless otherwise stated, choose whole grain products that have 3 grams of fiber or more per ounce.

Bagels, small, whole grain - 1/2, or 1 oz.
Barley - 1/2 cup
Bread - 1 slice (1 oz.)
homemade breads using whole grains (buckwheat, whole wheat, spelt, whole oats, bran, rye)
multigrain
oat and bran
rye
sourdough (may be used, but whole grain is the best choice)
sprouted grain
whole wheat
Buckwheat - 1/2 cup cooked
Calabaza - 3/4 cup (considered a starchy vegetable; count as a starch/grain serving)
Cassava - 1/4 cup (considered a starchy vegetable; count as a starch/grain serving)
Cereal:
]Hot - 1/3 -1/2 cup, uncooked. Choose whole grain and slow-cooking varieties (no instant types).
Cold - 30 grams/1 ounce/3/4 cup. Varieties with 3.0 - 4.9 grams are “good” sources of fiber. “High” fiber cereals have 5.0 grams of fiber or more per serving. Choose a cereal with enough fiber to be at least on the upper end of “good,” and make sure it has less than 8 grams of sugar per serving.
Couscous, whole-wheat or Israeli - 1/2 cup cooked
Crackers, whole grain with 3 grams of fiber or more per ounce and no trans fats
English muffins, whole grain - 1/2, or 1 oz. (most contain 2.5 grams of fiber per half a muffin—varieties varieties with 3 grams of fiber are the best choice.)
Green Peas - 1/2 cup (considered a starchy vegetable; count as a starch/grain serving)
Muffins, bran - 1 small, homemade
Muffin, sugar-free (no raisins)
Pasta:
Whole wheat is best choice - 1/2 cup cooked (3 grams of fiber or more per 1/2 cup)
Soy is second best choice - 1/2 cup cooked (3 grams of fiber or more per 1/2 cup)
Pita - 1/2, or 1 oz. stone-ground whole wheat (most contain 2.5 grams of fiber—varieties with 3 grams of fiber are the best choice.)
Popcorn, 3 cups popped:
Air popped
Microwave, plain, no trans fats
Cooked stove-top with canola oil
Potato, sweet, small (considered a starchy vegetable; count as a starch/grain serving)
Pumpkin - 3/4 cup (considered a starchy vegetable; count as a starch/grain serving)
Quinoa, 1/2 cup cooked
Rice - 1/2 cup cooked:
basmati
brown
converted or parboiled
wild
Rice noodles - 1/2 cup cooked
Soba noodles - 3/4 cup cooked
Taro - 1/3 cup (considered a starchy vegetable; count as a starch/grain serving)
Tortillas, 100% whole grain, 3 grams of fiber or more per ounce, no trans fats - 1 small
Winter squash - 3/4 cup (considered a starchy vegetable; count as a starch/grain serving)
Yams, small (considered a starchy vegetable; count as a starch/grain serving)

VEGETABLES
Carrots

OCCASIONAL TREATS
Chocolate (sparingly) bittersweet or semisweet

SWEET TREATS
Pudding, fat-free and sugar-free (1 serving per day)

BEVERAGES
Wine (1 - 2 glasses daily with or after meals)

Foods to avoid or eat rarely

STARCHES AND BREADS
Bagel, refined wheat
Bread
refined wheat
white
Cookies
Cornflakes
Matzo (exception: whole wheat varieties, which are allowed)
Pasta, white flour
Potatoes
baked, white
instant
Rice cakes
Rice
white
jasmine
Rolls, dinner

VEGETABLES
Beets
Corn
Potatoes, white

FRUIT
Canned fruit, juice packed
Fruit juice
Pineapple
Raisins
Watermelon

MISCELLANEOUS
Honey
Ice cream
Jam
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-07, 09:28

Plan: Healthy moderate carb
Stats: 215/171/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Remember on Phase 2 your are still eating your Phase 1 meal but have the option of adding a starch or fruit. Many people think this is in place of your Phase 1 meal and start a downhill slide after doing so well on Phase 1. Always have your required protein & veggies and then add back a grain or fruit if you want.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-07, 13:13
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Many people think this is in place of your Phase 1 meal and start a downhill slide after doing so well on Phase 1.

They do????!!! Who are these people and do they have brains?

I never once assumed that. But maybe that's just me! lol
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-07, 08:14
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxgluvs
They do????!!! Who are these people and do they have brains?

I never once assumed that. But maybe that's just me! lol

I had the same reaction to that.

I'm bumping this back up! Thanks hk-lowcarb!!