Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-07, 07:44

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 170/144/135 Female 165cm
BF:no idea
Progress: 74%
Default Cravings vs. hunger

Back to first principles here. The longer I stay on SB the less I understand the and more confused I become. I'm beginning to think it's just not for me.
Especially as I'm into Phase 2 (after 3 weeks in Phase 1) and don't honestly think I've lost any weight.

What's the difference between a craving and hunger?

The way I see it if I'm hungry, I'm hungry and I eat. To me hunger is when your stomach is empty and your body needs food and a craving is psychological.
But I suspect that there's a different definition on SBD.

2/3
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-07, 08:02

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

I would have to agree with your basic definition, however I'd like to add that some cravings could have a psyiological (sp?) basis. I've heard many stories where people start craving food items when their body is lacking in certain vitamins or nutrients. However, if you're craving chips and doughnuts, that's probably just an emotional craving. I could of course be totally wrong here.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-07, 08:11

If that's the case (craving something you're deficient in) then cravings aren't bad things then.

And maybe we should just listen to what out bodies are telling us instead of trying to supress 'cravings'.

I really am confused and it's getting worse by the minute.

2/3
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-07, 09:09
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2of3
If that's the case (craving something you're deficient in) then cravings aren't bad things then.

And maybe we should just listen to what out bodies are telling us instead of trying to supress 'cravings'.

I really am confused and it's getting worse by the minute.

2/3

I'm sorry that you're confused. Below is our Meal Plan Guide that comes from the official SBD web site. Perhaps this willl help you....it helped me a lot!!

Hunger is hunger and when we follow the meal plan, we should not feel hunger as we eat every few hours even if it something small. When I feel hunger, I too will eat!!

When I was starting my phase II, I tried a wheat cereal one morning and become ravenous that entire day....I realized that it was the wheat that triggered my appetite and do avoid it now. to me, this was good information to learn about my body.

This is what phase II is all about. Finding out which carbs work for your body and which do not. This is why we need to go very slowly as we add foods back into our plans. One item per week...save the grains for last and wait for flour until way down the road, ie: you are very close to your goal weight.

Hope this helps!!

Quote:
How to adapt your meal plan - Phase 2

In Phase 2, you'll gradually begin to reintroduce healthy carbohydrates into your diet. Here's how to do it: Week one and two: Add in two good carb choices daily. We suggest you reintroduce fruit at lunch, dinner, or as a snack, but it's not the best choice first thing in the morning at breakfast. We recommend a high-fiber cereal for breakfast. Week three and four: move to four good carbs choices daily: 1-2 fruits and 1-2 starches. Read more advice on reintroducing carbs here. Want specific food choices? You can now eat anything from the Phase 1 Foods to Enjoy list as well as items from the Phase 2 Foods to Reintroduce list.

BREAKFAST
Protein: Quantity is not limited. Start with a 2 oz. portion, eat slowly, go back for seconds if still hungry.
vegetables:Minimum 1/2 cup or 6-8 oz. tomato or vegetable juice.
fruit: 1 fruit serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 3 total servings for the day.
starch:1 starch serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 2 or 3 total servings for the day.
Milk/Dairy:2-3 cups allowed daily (including yogurt)
Fat: 1 tsp mayonnaise, trans-free margarine, or oil (optional)

LUNCH
Protein: Quantity is not limited. Start with a 3 oz. portion, eat slowly, go back for seconds if still hungry.
vegetables: Minimum 2 cups.
We encourage you to include a serving of beans (1/3-1/2 cup) as part of your vegetables.

fruit:1 fruit serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 3 total servings for the day.
starch:1 starch serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 2 or 3 total servings for the day.
milk/dairy: 2-3 cups allowed daily (including yogurt)
Fat: 1 Tbsp mayonnaise, trans-free margarine or oil, or 2 Tbsp salad dressing

DINNER
Protein: Quantity is not limited. Start with a 3 oz. portion, eat slowly, go back for seconds if still hungry.
vegetables: Minimum 2 cups.
We encourage you to include a serving of beans (1/3-1/2 cup) as part of your vegetables.

fruit: 1 fruit serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 3 total servings for the day.
starch: 1 starch serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 2 or 3 total servings for the day.
milk/dairy: 2-3 cups allowed daily (including yogurt)
Fat: 1 Tbsp mayonnaise, trans-free margarine or oil, or 2 Tbsp salad dressing

SNACKS AND DESSERT
Snacks and dessert are optional. Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, artificially sweetened non-fat flavored yogurt, nuts/seeds, or some of your Sweet Treat allowance. A snack that combines protein (1 oz.) and vegetables is encouraged.

SWEET TREATS
Sweet Treats are products that contain sugar alcohols. You can enjoy them throughout the day to satisfy your sweet tooth — just limit yourself to roughly 75 calories worth per day to avoid any GI distress.
See a list of Sweet Treat options here

BEVERAGES
Diet, decaffeinated, sugar-free drinks are not limited. You can enjoy caffeinated coffee or diet sodas with caffeine added, but limit to 1 - 2 servings per day.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-07, 09:58

I've not really been excessively hungry. I was just wondering about the definitions of the terms.

I wouldn't say I've had any cravings at all.
Only on weekends, where I don't tend to have much structure to my day and forget to eat. But I always keep some nuts handy and will have a few of those to keep me until I can cook something.

I was a bit more cautious about going into phase 2 and only added one grain, at lunch times.

I'm into my 2nd week doing that now.

2/3
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-07, 10:46

Plan: SB
Stats: 207/200/160 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 15%

I have just started back on SB - 6th day - and I knew before I started back that I would need to stock up on "legal SB" phase 1 foods as I was going to have "cravings". Sure enough, this past Saturday (day 3) I was "starving" all day long but I got around this by just eating stuff that I can have in Phase 1. When I weighed on Monday morning (day 5) I had lost 2.8 lbs. And, after Saturday, the hunger (cravings) has stopped.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-07, 16:01
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlsbkp
I have just started back on SB - 6th day - and I knew before I started back that I would need to stock up on "legal SB" phase 1 foods as I was going to have "cravings". Sure enough, this past Saturday (day 3) I was "starving" all day long but I got around this by just eating stuff that I can have in Phase 1. When I weighed on Monday morning (day 5) I had lost 2.8 lbs. And, after Saturday, the hunger (cravings) has stopped.

Excellent!! Good job!!