Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-19, 02:02

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Is cheese bad for you? You may be surprised by its health secrets

Quote:
From The Times
London, UK
8 October, 2019

Is cheese bad for you? You may be surprised by its health secrets

Stop cheating on cheddar. Its links to cardiovascular disease are tenuous and it may prevent diabetes

Can anyone resist a cheeseboard? Clearly not the 92 per cent of us who, according to a report on the UK cheese market, eat cheese at least once a week. Somewhat unfairly, though, the tastier a cheese, the higher in calories and fat it is likely to be, and for years we’ve been warned to resist eating much of it for the sake of our waistlines and our hearts.

Still, nutritionists tell us that cheese is a good source of magnesium and calcium, as well as vitamins A, B2 and B12. This makes it “a complete protein” food, meaning it contains all of the essential amino acids needed to build and repair the body’s tissues.

The caveat has always been the saturated fat content of cheese and its less than favourable association with the health of our arteries. Now, though, some researchers claim that cheese’s links with cardiovascular disease are tenuous. In newly published guidelines based on a two-year review of recent evidence, Australia’s national health service has relaxed its view on cheese, suggesting that it’s fine to eat full-fat dairy (unless you have heart disease) and that cheese may have particular health benefits.

In the UK the latest review by the Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition review, published in August, recommends that foods high in saturated fat, such as cheese, should be eaten sparingly, but for how long will this view last? Research part-funded by the British Heart Foundation has questioned the guidelines about the type of fat we eat and even the most cautious observers concede that the future for cheese lovers is brighter.

“We do now know that there are different types of saturated fat and that the saturated fat in dairy and cheese is not as bad for us as was once thought,” says Linia Patel, a dietician and spokeswoman for the British Dietetic Association (BDA). Some recent cheese studies have shown that it may play a preventive role, warding off conditions typically associated with obesity, such as type 2 diabetes.

Cheese has a low glycaemic index (GI), meaning it won’t trigger blood sugar spikes. “Adding any high-protein food such as cheese to dishes like mashed potato or pasta will lower the GI of that meal, helping to counteract the rush of glucose,” says the dietician Helen Bond, a BDA spokeswoman.

In May a team from the University of Alberta published results of a trial they had carried out on pre-diabetic laboratory rats that were fed regular and low-fat cheese. Both types were found to reduce insulin resistance, a condition that can lead to high blood-sugar levels and a greater risk of cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes. “The cheese didn’t normalise the effects of insulin, but it significantly improved them,” wrote Catherine Chan, the professor of agricultural, life and environmental sciences who led the study. “And it didn’t matter whether it was low-fat or regular cheese.”

Select aged cheeses — brie, stilton and other blues, mature cheddar, parmesan and gruyère — and it’s a step towards extending your lifespan. A compound called spermidine, found in aged cheeses as well as in mushrooms and soy products, seemed to help to prevent liver cancer in a study carried out at Texas A&M University health centre two years ago.

When researchers gave lab animals an oral supplement of spermidine, the animals lived longer and were less likely to have cancerous liver tumours than untreated animals. Leyuan Liu, assistant professor in the university’s Center for Translational Cancer Research, described the increase in lifespan as “dramatic”, with the animals having the cheese compound living as much as 25 per cent longer. “In human terms,” she said, “that would mean that instead of living to about 81 years old, the average American could live to be over 100.”

Even if the effect is not that impressive, your gut will thank you for it. Aged cheeses are fermented and contain a range of beneficial bacteria that boost the microbiome and in turn ramp up immunity and all-round good health.
“Most aged cheeses contain some live microbes,” says Dr Megan Rossi, a research fellow in gut health at King’s College London. “The microbes can come from various places — some are added to the milk or to help ripen a cheese, while others are from the environment in which the cheeses are aged — and can benefit our gut health.”

Cheese is also good for your teeth. A study published in the journal General Dentistry in 2013 is one of several to report that a regular consumption of cheese may help to protect teeth against cavities.

“Cheese is slightly more alkaline so it helps to neutralise plaque acids that form after eating,” says Dr Nigel Carter, the chief executive of the Oral Health Foundation. “The acid formed by sugar in foods causes the pH level in our mouths to drop for about 40 to 50 minutes after we have eaten and you can speed up the return to balance by eating a small piece of cheese following a meal.”

And there’s no truth in the belief that you shouldn’t eat cheese before going to bed. “The only very distant link,” Rossi says, “would be that if you suffer from reflux, having large amounts of a high-fat cheese before bed may exacerbate your symptoms. Otherwise it is fine to eat it with or after an evening meal. It won’t do your teeth any harm to eat cheese in the evening.” Varieties such as cottage cheese and ricotta might even help you to nod off by aiding the production of sleep hormones, Patel says.

HOW TO CHOOSE A CHEESE FOR YOUR NEEDS

Cottage cheese

Calories 107 per 100g Fat 4g
Last year a University of Florida study, published in the British Journal of Nutrition, found that consuming 30g of protein-rich cottage cheese half an hour before going to bed helped to boost muscle growth and recovery, metabolism and overall health. It’s also low in fat.

Parmesan
Calories 401 per 100g Fat 30g
It’s high in calories, but a 2011 study from the University of Florence reported that it is easily digested thanks to “the presence of ready-to-use proteins and lipids” and is very low in lactose, but rich in phosphorus and calcium for healthy bones.

Feta
Calories 262 per 100g Fat 21g
It’s salty, but that makes it a great post-workout snack, says the nutritionist Dr Sarah Schenker. “Add some feta cheese to a salad and it provides easily digestible whey protein and salt, so will help to replace sodium lost through sweating,” she says. “It also provides plenty of protein as well as zinc to help boost muscle strength after a gym session.”

Blue cheeses
Calories 412 per 100g Fat 35g
Blue cheeses are ripened with cultures of the mould penicillium and are a good source of beneficial bacteria. However, stilton is also one of the saltiest cheeses with 1.97g of salt per 100g, triple the amount of some, so eat that sparingly.

Roquefort
Calories 372 per 100g Fat 32
This French cheese is high in fat, but was found by a group of Cambridge-based scientists in 2013 to have specific anti-inflammatory properties. Beneficial compounds within the blue-veined cheese were shown to work best in highly acidic environments such as the lining of the stomach. The researchers suggested that “moulded cheeses, including roquefort, may be even more favourable to cardiovascular health”.

Brie
Calories 266 per 100g Fat 24g
All dairy cheeses contain the amino acid glycine, shown in a study from the University of Milan in 2015 to promote deeper sleep in a group of menopausal women, but brie is one of the best sources. It also contains high levels of spermidine, which can help to stop damaged liver cells from replicating.

Mozzarella
Calories 238 per 100g Fat 18g
Made from buffalo milk, it is lower in sodium than a lot of cheeses with just 0.6g per 100g compared with 1.81g in cheddar. It also contains bacteria that act as probiotics, including Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus fermentum, which are associated with gut health and immunity.

Cheddar
Calories 416 per 100g Fat 35g
Cheddar remains our favourite cheese and, despite a slight downturn as cheeses such as mozzarella become more fashionable, still accounts for 51 per cent of all the cheese consumed in the UK. It is a particularly good source of vitamin K, important for bone health, and the more mature it is the greater the number of beneficial bacteria it is likely to contain. Dr Nigel Carter of the Oral Health Foundation recommends eating a small piece of it after anything sugary or after acidic foods such as fruit, red wine and pickles, to offset some of the erosive attack on teeth. “If you grate cheddar it goes farther and means you save yourself some calories,” the dietician Linia Patel says.

Goat’s cheese
Calories 329 per 100g Fat 27g
While not lactose-free, goat’s cheese is lower in lactose than ricotta and cottage cheese, containing similar levels to brie and feta, and some people may find it easier to tolerate than other cheeses. Goat’s milk, from which it is made, contains more essential fatty acids (linoleic and arachidonic) than cow’s milk and has been shown to help to reduce total cholesterol levels.

Ricotta
Calories 105 per 100g Fat 7g
Milky-white cheeses such as ricotta and cottage cheese are ideal for eating before bed because they may help you to sleep. Any products with a high milk content will increase levels of the hormones that make us sleepy, Patel says. “It’s partly to do with levels of tryptophan, an amino acid in cheese, helping to raise levels of serotonin, a brain chemical important for sleep patterns.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...crets-798qfwshc
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-19, 05:41

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

ahhh, love cheeses.

American mozzarella us made from cows milk not buffalo , so results may vary.

Love brie. Quality varies greatly by brand here in US.

tryotophan converting to seratonin. Perhaps, if eaten on an empty stomach.

Love to see all the benefits of eating quality cheese. For some people cheeses are a problem and need to be avoided.

Im no lon ger convinced American cheeses are made from milk with the same high quality milk found in the EU.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-19, 09:41

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Im no lon ger convinced American cheeses are made from milk with the same high quality milk found in the EU.

Or if there's milk at all--like the horrible "American cheese" packaged slices, which are mostly vegetable oil. I know so many people who use that stuff to give their dogs pills and people call it "dog cheese." I would never feed that to my dog, but that's the only kind of cheese may people eat. Ew.

Cheese in Europe is so much better in general and cheaper. Some years ago a friend moved over from the UK for a couple of years. She was living in the mid-west where things are generally cheaper, but she was stunned at the cost of cheese in the supermarket.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-19, 10:30

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I don't care about the calories or fat in cheese, I'd like to see the amounts of casein and casomorphins listed instead.

Last edited by deirdra : Tue, Oct-08-19 at 11:15.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-19, 10:30

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Why do people who promote cheese never bring up the fact that some of us are allergic to the protein in cheese? I can handle small amounts of Parmesan & mozzarella, but nothing else. The reaction is weird & not what people would assume is an allergic reaction - a binge affects my muscles & joints, small amounts hurt my eyes. It took me years to figure it out. I checked with a doctor about the cheese/eye thing, & she said it's thing. Her daughter has the same problem.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-19, 10:39

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
Why do people who promote cheese never bring up the fact that some of us are allergic to the protein in cheese? I can handle small amounts of Parmesan & mozzarella, but nothing else. The reaction is weird & not what people would assume is an allergic reaction - a binge affects my muscles & joints, small amounts hurt my eyes. It took me years to figure it out. I checked with a doctor about the cheese/eye thing, & she said it's thing. Her daughter has the same problem.
We posted at the same time. I have the same problem with dairy proteins. Even people who aren't allergic or intolerant may react to the morphine-like substance in the casein that causes them to binge on cheese and other foods. I carried 15 lbs of inflammation until I gave up dairy proteins. Over 30 years on various diets I could never lose those last 15 lbs until I gave up dairy proteins, which I loved. Whenever I see adults with dark circles around their eyes and puffy-looking "baby" fat, I think - try giving up dairy protein. I can use ghee and small amounts of butter.

I had symptoms as a baby (65 yrs ago), but it was assumed to be lactose intolerance and I was put on soy formula, and it was assumed that babies "grew out of it" by age 2 when I was given cow milk again. It is possible that A1 cows milk in North America is worse than A2 milk available in Europe & elsewhere.

Doctors are finally starting to learn that cow’s milk protein allergy (CMPA), is a common food allergy (or dairy allergy). While most babies with CMPA experience digestive problems (such as diarrhea, vomiting, constipation and reflux), skin problems (such as hives and eczema), respiratory symptoms (such as persistent cough and wheezing) and other more general allergy symptoms (for example, tiredness, problems sleeping, runny nose, itchy eyes & ear aches) can also occur.

I don't think I ever grew out of it, I just thought hives, wheezing, tiredness, stuffed up nose, aches & pains were "normal". Though our chorus master told us in the 1970s to avoid milk products before concerts to avoid excess phlegm. One of my main reasons to try avoiding casein was to get rid of daily Sudafed & Claritan to be able to breathe. Now I need them only a couple of days a year.

Last edited by deirdra : Tue, Oct-08-19 at 11:19.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-19, 10:59

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Still, nutritionists tell us that cheese is a good source of magnesium and calcium, as well as vitamins A, B2 and B12. This makes it “a complete protein” food, meaning it contains all of the essential amino acids needed to build and repair the body’s tissues.

Can only hope this is some horrible editing, a deleted line or something.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-19, 11:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Not to mention that the "complete protein" statement is redundant when speaking of animal proteins, though with the plant-based eating propaganda, the average person may not know that anymore. Maybe the editor made them take out the evil words stating that real milk comes from animals, the sort of editing that causes vegans to feed their infants plant-based "milks", resulting in "failure to thrive" or death. Or the editor has no clue that magnesium, calcium, and vitamins A, B2 and B12 are not proteins of any kind.

Last edited by deirdra : Tue, Oct-08-19 at 11:11.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-19, 11:06

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser

can you be more specific??? I did a little fact checking and other sources confirm the bit u quoted.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-19, 11:08

BF:

Quote:
Cheese has a low glycaemic index (GI), meaning it won’t trigger blood sugar spikes. “Adding any high-protein food such as cheese to dishes like mashed potato or pasta will lower the GI of that meal, helping to counteract the rush of glucose,” says the dietician Helen Bond, a BDA spokeswoman.
]

While this is true, added butter slows digestion more, in theory.

My son also piles on real butter, however Dr Atkins is rolling in his grave. The studies in his boom point out the real health danger of combining starches with fats. Perhaps new studies have debunked this??

--------

As for cheese helping keep plaque at bay....

I have tested this. Its all relative. Once starchy carbs, fruit, and sugars removed as food sources fir the mouth bacteria, cheese becomes their favirite. I can feel the film that has grown overnight. Despite brushing with toothpaste or baking soda.

Perhaps better to not have cheese as dessert, but as appwtizer so crunchy salad greens can scrape away the particles, and more saliva can clear tge decks.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Tue, Oct-08-19 at 11:17.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-19, 11:16

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
can you be more specific??? I did a little fact checking and other sources confirm the bit u quoted.

The writer gives a line about some vitamins and minerals, none of them amino acids, and then says "This makes it “a complete protein” food," it certainly is a complete protein food, but vitamins and minerals aren't what make it that.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-19, 11:28

BF:

bonnie said
Quote:
Why do people who promote cheese never bring up the fact that some of us are allergic to the protein in cheese?

This article was only a beneficial peice on cheeses. A complete understanding of cheeses and dairy would fill a tome.

My kids stopped drinking milk at meals years ago. Drinking good unfloridated well water. The one diwn fall was that is a very important source of vit D. Doc should have been blood testing my kids. One son now has bone issues.

And I dont think milk is for everyone. THAT is a book unto itself.

herbicides
pesticides
pasturization
grainfed
caseins
lactose
cow v. goat and sheep v. buffalo
holstein v jersey

A boatload of reasons to avoid dairy.I love cheeses but buy far less and try to buy EU sources.

There us talk of 25% tarif on parmesan cheeses imported from Italy. I plan to go to a cheese shop and see if a whole wheel is affordable. Otherwise a few wedges will be enough and put in freezer.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-19, 15:07

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
bonnie said

This article was only a beneficial peice on cheeses. A complete understanding of cheeses and dairy would fill a tome.

My kids stopped drinking milk at meals years ago. Drinking good unfloridated well water. The one diwn fall was that is a very important source of vit D. Doc should have been blood testing my kids. One son now has bone issues.

And I dont think milk is for everyone. THAT is a book unto itself.

herbicides
pesticides
pasturization
grainfed
caseins
lactose
cow v. goat and sheep v. buffalo
holstein v jersey

A boatload of reasons to avoid dairy.I love cheeses but buy far less and try to buy EU sources.

There us talk of 25% tarif on parmesan cheeses imported from Italy. I plan to go to a cheese shop and see if a whole wheel is affordable. Otherwise a few wedges will be enough and put in freezer.

If the A1 casein from typical milk cows (like Holsteins) is your goal to avoid, you're on the right track. But do avoid (in the case of A1 casein) also British and the more northern European milk products as well, as the A1 cows to my understanding originated from these areas. Sorry, but there goes all the yummy Kerrigold cheddar. Bummer. But the butter, having little casein left, should be fine. The smaller sized milk cattle of southern Europe typically may have less A1 genes, hence real French, Italian and such cheeses. When in doubt, goat and sheep cheese like manchego, even from an American Costco, are secure bets because goats and sheep only produce A2 casein.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-19, 15:43

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

We have local cheeseries who use goat milk, I love it. It's a way for me to do grassfed. A small piece is so satisfying, too.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-19, 19:54

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

An experiment I tried was going A1 casein-free for a year or so. The first couple of times I tried re-adding A1-containing Greek yogurt I felt ill, but other things happening at the time could have caused that, so no really conclusive result. I've returned to a diet high in A1 casein dairy and seem fine so either I'm not sensitive to it or else the stuff is sneakily doing something I haven't discovered yet. Nearly all my current dairy is fermented stuff (Greek yogurt and home-grown kefir). I wonder if that has any effect? Not presently much into any cheese.