Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-16-18, 19:07
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%
Default The stress gets so high and I crave something to dull it.

I'm just going to unload. I'm over 40 I keep getting these applications question are you over 40? Yes. I did a return trip to college and this company hires all the kids in my program, not me. We're all overqualified to begin with and there's always have job openings. Its overnight and as soon as we get our license we can make way more money in the next job up.

Then I have a mystery illness. My foot was hurt for 3 years, now fine. I go hiking and I get all these weird symptoms and today I had a very painful exam.

Yesterday was my birthday I stayed right on plan. Today the chocolate chip cookies are calling.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-18, 12:52
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I binged on diet coke, 2 tbsp peanut butter and half a can of olives. I woke up not craving anything or feeling carb poisoned.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-18, 22:14
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

My life is also extremely stressful and I've always used food (especially carbs) to cope with it.

I've been trying to at least switch to binging on low-carb foods when this happens, because they are mostly self-limiting, but it's more like 10-15 tbsp of peanut butter for me. I just open the jar and don't stop.

I suppose peanut butter is better than ice cream, but I need to find better coping strategies.

Anybody out there have any advice?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-18, 19:17

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi, Billy. I like your plan of having LC foods on hand. Here is my two cents.

As others have said, LC foods, real foods, are self-limiting. (How many hard-boiled eggs, for example.)

To quote someone else: if you could eat a steak, it is real hunger. Eat the steak. Even with butter and salt/pepper. If you find you want to eat LC treats and nuts and this and that, and you wouldn't want a steak, then ask yourself what it is in life you really want. Those here-&-there things might be a substitute for something we want from life.

I find it helps to choose something to put myself into, studying metabolism, for example. Or helping someone. Or doing things by hand, no electrical tools. I find that very satisfying, therapeutic.

Something else that helps me is to get the Pro:Fat:Carb ratios just right at every meal. For me, that is approx: 15% Pro, 8% Carbs, and 78% Fat.

Dr. Mackarness said it helps satiety to have that on every forkful.

As to foods to eat when you can't not eat:
Meat (including fish, birds, eggs), Fat. Salt. Water. I add marinated vegs.
The other things I eat are for variety and taste.

Finding the just-right-amounts for P:F:C and what foods fit the best takes a lot of experimenting.

I find grass-fed meat and dairy much more satisfying and satiating. It also does not give me problems. Factory-farm, grain-fed, processed food gives me health problems and triggers false appetite.

I know some who've gone to raw beef, and they say it is the most satiating and satisfying.

Steak tartare, carpaccio.

I like veal as it is not aged. Others prefer aged beef.

We have to keep looking, experimenting until we find what fits us the best.

If you fall off, "pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again".

Low Carb for life.

Last edited by SilverEm : Mon, Jul-02-18 at 19:23.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-18, 19:24

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Billy, look at stress management strategies. Developing the skills does take practice, which means with practise it gets easier. Or that is the theory.

I try to teach my kids breathing techniques.

There are many.

There was a time I would get upset and my payback was severe hotflashes--- that incentive helped me try to stay calm and it worked for a long time.

When we get upset, especially angry, our brain doesnot function in a manner to solve the problem and think logically.

Stress is the the body's call for higher seratonin, aka cakes and sweets. Other items work too. Sweet potatos. Depending on where you are in your LC journey, sweet potatoes are an option for maintenance.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-18, 05:36
Registered Member

Plan: Keto-ish
Stats: 339/286/245 Male 76 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%

I share this a lot, and I occasionally enjoy going back to it. Will Smith speaks to self discipline and how it defines material success, but this also applies to how we deal with pressure.

https://youtu.be/C2Z4EwGiNJ0

My favorite line: "The world is attacking you, and the world wants to fight you, and the world's trying to hold you down...and you're gonna kick YOURSELF in the balls??"

That's pretty much how I feel about stress binges.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 08:03

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyHW
My life is also extremely stressful and I've always used food (especially carbs) to cope with it.

I've been trying to at least switch to binging on low-carb foods when this happens, because they are mostly self-limiting, but it's more like 10-15 tbsp of peanut butter for me. I just open the jar and don't stop.

I suppose peanut butter is better than ice cream, but I need to find better coping strategies.

Anybody out there have any advice?

No advice, but empathy - that's exactly what I do. Three weeks ago my sweetheart donkey, Leo, was ill. Got the vet out & found out Leo is dying. That sent me into an overeating (of mostly low carb food) tailspin that I'm just crawling out of now. Overeating isn't helping either one of us. I'm trying to enjoy the little time we have left while he's still well enough to have some fun.

That Will Smith youtube is excellent - he really tells it like it is. I need to think BEFORE I put food in my mouth - not after.