Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 10:37

Plan: My own
Stats: 265/265/200 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default OLd dutch Pork Rinds

AFter sending several e-mails, I finally got a reply from Old Dutch about their product called Bacon Puffs, which is pork rinds, lard and salt. The package does not have any nutritional information, but here is what they have given me:

The nutritional info for a serving size of 14g is:
Calories 80
Total Fat 5g
Cholesterol 15mg
Sodium 230mg
Total Carbohydrates 0g
Protein 8g

Now I know. The bags I buy are 80 grams, so I have something to go on now. Fitday has pork rinds in it's database, but it goes by cup. How easy is it to measure a CUP of pork rinds???

Glenda
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 11:07

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Fitday also has a "2oz bag" which is pretty close to what most of them weigh if you have a kitchen scale (which I highly recommend). Half a bag is 1 oz.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 11:55

Plan: My own
Stats: 265/265/200 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks Nat. I am still having a little trouble figuring out some of the nutritional values of things, but I am getting there. So if a bag of Pork rinds is approximately 2 oz. in reality, I could eat a whole bag, with no carbs, 400 calories, 25 grams of fat, and 40 grams of protein????(And I have done this on occasion!!!!!)
And I love them!!! I remember eating them as a kid, and everyone thought I was nuts.

Glenda
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 12:03
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Of course you could! You can also stay up as late as you want and run with scissors if you felt like it!

Seriously, too many pork rinds can cause water retention because of the salt and can stall some people. YMMV.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 18:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Just a clarification.

The Old Dutch brand is an 80g bag. The serving size is 14g, so there are 5.7servings per bag (where do they come up with these numbers?) An 80g bag is approximately 3 ounces (I monitor calories as well as carbs, so it could be important to someone else as well).

Anyway, when fitday does its thing (like presenting a Cup of pork rinds or 1 Large Piece of jerky) I go to the USDA database where there is a weight and size option, and PLAIN porkrinds, like these, are there by weight. I use those numbers and a calculator to figure out a bag's worth of carbs, fat and protein, whichever bag or brand I've got, and then plug those in as a Custom ingredient in either Fitday or Mastercook.

Then how much of the bag I might use is easily calculated. It's easier to figure out a half or quarter bag than a 6th, for instance.

Hope this helps.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-02, 19:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

You could calculate whether their count is correct:

The nutritional info for a serving size of 14g is:
Calories 80
Total Fat 5g ~ 9 calories per gram of fat = 45 calories
Cholesterol 15mg (included in fat)
Sodium 230mg
Total Carbohydrates 0g ~ 4 cal. per gm = 0 calories
Protein 8g ~ 4 calories per gram = 32 calories
--------------------
Total calories = 77 calories
(so their figures are pretty good, assuming they round the numbers off.) This is a good way to find out if the manufacturer is telling the truth about the carb count. Figure out the protein & fat calories & what is left must be carbs. Remember that if the carb count is less than 1 gm, the maker can call it Zero carbs. Even 0.99 gm. So your 5.7 servings could have 5.6 carbs and still be "correctly reported" on the label.

110 gm = 3 ounces by weight. So if the bag weighs 3 ounces, you can have the whole bag and not eat any appreciable carbs. But beware, in the end, the number of calories DO count in successful losing. It's the type of calories we LCers are changing.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-02, 03:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Your calculation method is pretty close (and I use it all the time when I can't use the Hidden Carbs calculator from the Tools menu off the orange menu bar above), Tofi.

However, 1 ounce in weight is 28.34 grams so 110g = 3.9oz or close enough to 4 ounces as makes no difference, not 3. The 80g bag we have under discussion here is very close to 3 oz, as mentioned. This can make a difference to insulin users who must count every gram, for instance, so I thought it best to clarify.

Also, Canadian labelling law is such that where there IS a Nutrition Information label, it must be in 10ths of a gram, it's not rounded as in the States on their Nutritional Facts label (where they round to the nearest half-gram by the way, so 0.49g can be declared as 0 and 1.49g can be declared as 1g, etc.).
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-12, 19:51

Plan: Eat fat get thin
Stats: 220/220/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:

My old Dutch bag in Canada is 100 gram bag and 50 grams(27 pieces) is a serving is:
270 calories
Fat 18 g
Carb 0
Protein 29 g