Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 08:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/211/165
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default sticking to the diet

well guys I've done something that for me is remarkable. At the beginning of the month I went online and downloaded a months worth of recipies...dinners that is...and went grocery shopping based on those ingredients (for the entire month) well, then nice thing is that I am able to stick to the diet in the evening which is my most difficult time and have placed my family on this woe without them even knowing...well they get their carbs during the day when I don't have control...lol. All I do every night is go in and pick two vegies and one meat and stick to the recipe (can't stray this is all I have in the house!) It has been fun to be able to sit down and eat the same foods my family is eating...no envy that way.

Gail
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 09:26

Plan: Restart 8/6/18 - 75/20/5
Stats: 196/155.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:Die MF!
Progress: 62%
Default Mom knows best

Hey G:

I've done the same with my kids. While my husband is on Atkins with me, my kids were another story. But, once you become a true believer, serving your kids a great, big plate of mashed potatoes becomes pretty hard. It's also hard knowing they're eating all that crappy school food every day (pasta, pizza and breaded everything!) They now get the same meat and vegs we're eating. Like you, I don't discuss it so as to head off their natural teenage inclination to take issue with any attempt at parental control no matter how unaffected they are by it. And boy, isn't easier just making one meal a night?

We are in control

Jones
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 09:34
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

It is great that you are teaching (in a subtle way) your kids good eating habits, especially in a society where they are bombarded with junk wherever they go. Keep up the great job Moms!!!

Some one said:
Quote:
If you want to educate a nation, educate a woman

So the more you learn the more you can teach them regarding good eating habits. Also, knowledge not shared is wasted.

red
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 13:16

Plan: Restart 8/6/18 - 75/20/5
Stats: 196/155.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:Die MF!
Progress: 62%

Wow Red, I love that quote and everything you said, Thanks!

I don't want my children to have to relearn how to eat when they grow up. In fact, I don't want it to ever be an issue for them. I've already redefined breakfast and dinner in only three weeks without a problem. Progress, not perfection as someone around here says.

Jones
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 07:49
Registered Member

Stats: 256/211/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

Boy I'll tell you...you've hit the nail on the head. I look at my 8 year old daughter and want to put her on this diet so badly. I am going to have a go at it during summer break this year...see how she does. I will be in etter control because she will not be eating the school food. Giving up her carbs will not be easy. But I feel so guilty eating this way and watching my child eat her way into obesity and heart problems...she is not fat by any means but she does not eat as healthy as I do either.

Gail
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 07:55

Stats: 250/202/145
BF:
Progress: 46%

When I was growing up and my mom made dinner, it was always eat this or nothing.

When I had my son, I was very laxed, letting him whatever he wanted. Now he is 14. When I make dinner, I make more than enough for both of us. If he doesn't like it, he has to make his own. The difference is now the only ingredients in the house are low carb. Either way, he is getting a more nutritiious meal!