Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 13:16

Plan: Dr. Bernstein/Atkinish
Stats: 339/321/160 Female 68 inches
BF:????????
Progress: 10%
Smile New to LC and excited to find a fibro forum!

Hi, I'm new to the forum and on day one of my new LC lifestyle. Of course overwhelmed and scared, but getting excited about all of the new friends here to help. I have had fibromyalgia for at least 15 years that I can remember, but only officially diagnosed 3 years ago. My rheumatologist says it's "only" fms, but my primary md says possible early lupus as well. I wish there was a way for all doctors to experience the symptoms we suffer with and then maybe we wouldn't hear it's "only" ___________(fill in the blank). I've been in a pattern of frequent flares for over a year now and I'm desperate to find something that will help. My meds have quit working and I'm back to sleepless nights and severe restless leg syndrome and of course the pain. (I have other factors too numerous to mention again here. See my post in the TDC forum). I started thinking about changing to a LC lifestyle after talking to my daughter's high school principal who has severe lupus. (Oh yeah, and after failing to stick to just about every other weight loss plan.) My friend was amazed at how much better and less often her lupus flares were when she stuck to the Atkins plan. I would love to hear about your experiences and successes and failure. I know I'm not alone and there is some good support and information out there for me.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 16:59
RockerChik

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Hi, there~! I began trying a LC lifestyle over a month ago, to lose weight of course but really MOSTLY for my painful fms. I've been in agony for the past several years - literally constant pain.

I am really happy to report that this pain is fading - literally fading on a daily basis. I would say I started to feel the difference within my first week of being on LC. It has been nothing short of a miracle.

I have gotten rid of my cane. I no longer need an ankle or a knee brace. I can play my guitar (I'm a musician) with NO MORE SHOULDER AND NECK pain - truly amazing as this had been incapacitating me for the past 2 years and I had to turn down doing live performances as a result. Not any more.

It has GOT to be the LC eating, because absolutely nothing else has really helped me over the years. I'm feeling better and better. More energy. Happier. Sharper. Clearer. I am feeling like the young, energetic woman (41) I am supposed to be and not an invalid. My husband cannot believe the change, just in one month. I sincerely hope you have the same results, because I know what you are going through and that pain is no joke.
Love & peace,
Lena
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 20:55

Thanks Lena, I'm so happy for you. Your letter has given me hope. I've got a lot of weight to lose, but if I can get the pain under control and I am happier I know the weight will come off. I have taken myself off of the Prozac because it didn't seem to be working anymore and I don't want to go on higher and higher doses. I'm also on Klonopin and Flexeril and plan on weaning myself off of them too. I may not be able to get off of them as easy since I have restless leg syndrome realllllll bad! I so glad you can play your music again. I used to play when I was younger (mainly tenor sax) but stopped because I couldn't afford a new instrument when I was single. Then got married, kids etc. My husband bought me a used tenor sax awhile back but I haven't felt like even picking it up. I'm hoping that I can get to feeling better and start playing again. Of course I'll be like a sqeaky beginner since it's been so long. My daughter is a freshman at the University of Kansas and is majoring in graphic design and minoring in music. She plays mainly French Horn but also plays piano, trumpet, mellophone and English Horn. I'd love to be able to play in the community band with her.

Thanks again and I hope to hear from you soon!
Deb
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 09:21
RockerChik

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Hi, again, Deb. I predict that you will be feeling better really soon. Keep me posted. It's definitely true that once you're out of constant pain, your entire outlook improves and you feel you can do ANYTHING. I bet you will get involved with your music again, too. Once the "pain depression" lifts, you will get your life back.
I listed some of my web pages below, if you are interested~! Stay in touch, be well and be happy~!
P.S. - WONDERFUL that your daughter is musically inclined as well~!
OX
Lena
http://evor.com/gate18.html
http://www.garageband.com/artist/GATE18
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 15:12
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 147/140/128 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 37%

Hi Deb

I've been a bit of an on/off lowcarber for about a year. Don't ask why I dont simply stay on it - it's always jsut some little thing or other that seems to get in the way. But regardless, I'm much more determined this time. And a lot of that has to do with how I feel when I'm LC'ing vs when I"m not. Generally, I just feel better. It takes a few days for the effects to really kick in for me, the first week can be uncomfortable. (yeah, WHY do I keep going off LC and doing this to myself??!), but then I start to notice a bit of an increase in energy. I've been off work for 2 1/2 years as a result of Fibro, and have just started to try to get myself going again. It's actually a terrifying proposition as it involves trying to work fulltime and going back to being a single mom (at the moment my 2 girls and I live with my parents.. ) I'm not sure I'll have the energy and capability, but there's not much choice - and I think low-carbing will help.

Check out another thread in this forum on a Magnesium connection with fibro. It may be of help/interest. I'm going to try a couple of suggestions there to see what comes of it.

Fibro's so unpredictable, and affects individuals in so many rotten ways. Lena - I'm so happy for you that you're seeing the results you are, and that you're able to play your guitar again. That must have been horrible. I"m trying to teach my girls piano - and my youngest is truly a musician at heart. She sings her own little songs to me constantly, so I'm considering some lessons for voice and guitar along the way. Deb - I really hope you begin to feel enough energy to pick up that sax again! Music's such a wonderful thing!

Best to you both - I know that despite many claims against it, I have Still heard a lot of good results from people with similar conditions who have seen the benefits of it.

~Tracy
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 12:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/120/130 Female 5"3
BF: ?
Progress: 120%

hi,
I have MCTD (mixed connective tissue disease, which includes Lupus SLE, Fibro and Rheum. arthritis) My rheumy wanted me to lose weight as it would help the stress on my joints and organs. I had read that an LC lifestyle would also help flares. Sadly this has not been the case for me as I have constant problems and pain, and am beginning to have joint deformation in my hands (I am only 32!!) I think that my lupus is just very severe and that is why I have not gotten better. However I do have more energy and feel better in general. I excercise 3-4 times a week, either elliptical, aerobics or pilates and bicycle everywhere...it is sometimes extremely painful but i have noticed improvement in joint motion. My rheumy says just keep moving cuz eventually it helps with long term pain and def. less weight helps also.

cheers,
judi
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 11:20

I got so depressed Friday that the least little thing got me crying. By the time by DH came home from work I was a mess. I didn't realize just how depressed I was getting. I can't help but dwell on all the bad stuff that's happened to me lately. I think worse than even recuperating from this awful back surgery is the fact that I was layed off from my job after 24 1/2 years. I feel pretty worthless right now. I can't really work if I get a job offer yet, I'll never be able to do anything but computer/office work. I have a life time restriction on lifting and standing so that really eliminates a lot of jobs. Not to mention there aren't a lot of jobs out there right now anyway, especially for a 47 year old woman with no degree and medical problems. The more upset I get the worse my fibro flares up and the worse my fibro flares up the more upset I get. Okay, I've vented and felt sorry for myself enough for today. Time to be happy! Only problem is I used to use food as my happiness fix and I can't give into that or I'll feel even worse after I eat that Ben and Jerry's (my ultimate feel good food). Obviously money is tight since I'm out of work so I can't become a shop-a-holic. Any suggestions? I know that some of you have been through much worse and lifted yourselves up out of the boo hoos. I hope I'm not misusing this forum, I know it's supposed to be about LC eating and losing weight but with me it's all connected. I really enjoy hearing from all of you, maybe that's the lift I need. It doesn't cost anything but it's sure worth a lot to me.

Thanks,
deb
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 11:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/120/130 Female 5"3
BF: ?
Progress: 120%

Deb,
I am so so sorry you are feeling so down, I am sending you a HUGE hug
It is great you are not drowning your sorrows in ice cream!!! I was a job recruiter, and I really think that you will be able to find something.. Have you looked into temporary agencies, many times they have positions for office, clerical and maybe just plain data entry, while the pay may not be high, perhaps it will tide you over until something higher pay and regular comes along. You can also volunteer, there are nursing homes, and also local elementary school sometimes look for people to come in and read to the children, there is also animal shelters and soup kitchens.

Well I am sending you encouraging thoughts, and I hope you feel better.

hugs,
judi
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 13:44

Thanks for the hug Judi, sometimes I think that's what helps the most in times like this. I appreciate your advice on the job scene. I had thought about getting in touch with a temp agency, just had never dealt with one before. I am really hoping for something full time with good benefits because of my medical problems. My DH can get insurance through his job but it's very expensive and the coverage isn't the best. I've always carried insurance through my job because it was very reasonable and good coverage. We still have to carry a family policy because our daughter is only 18 and a freshman in college. My insurance and severance is good through the end of January so I have a little bit of time but not much.

Volunteering sounds like a good idea, it would get me out of the house and keep my mind occupied.

Thanks again for the hug and here's one back!

deb
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 10:32

Plan: Keto/Phinney18
Stats: 269/265/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:Way/TOO/Much
Progress: 3%

Hi Deb,
Isn't Lcing great!
I started last January because I wanted to lose weight but then the greatest thing happened. I started feeling lots better! less pain and fatigue. I did have some problems with low potassium at first but got that under control. I have been off for about 3 months due to huge family stress. But I am back to concentrating on taking care of me. I have been back to LC since Monday 9/22 and I am finding it very easy to drop the carbs and stick with it this time. I am also drinking about 70-90 ounces a day and that is a record for me.

For those sleepless nights try taking 500 Mg of 5-htp and magnesium .I find that really helps me sleep and gets rid of the leg cramps. I find that the restless legs is just the way my legs act before the real cramping starts. I have had to try different kinds of magnesium cause some can cause diarrhea but I now take a liquid magnesium with none of that. I slept great last night. If you need to you might wanna try adding potassium that can cause the leg cramps as well.

I find that managing my Fibro in this order is the best thing I have done so far.
These are all basic things but it is amazing how simple things really are if we go back to the basics. It has taken me 5 years to find what works for me but I do think it is a matter of getting these basic things taken care of and it is much easier. Sleep, food, water,exercise,supplements when needed.

1. A good nights sleep!1. A good nights sleep! Do whatever it takes to get a good nights sleep. Eat turkey , drink warm milk before bed (tryptophan) Take 5-htp, magnesium, Herbs .I have used some herbal formulas also that help with this as well. Take a hot bath in Magnesium. DON'T think about anything stressful before bed. ( I know HA HA). BUt you get the picture a good nights sleep will go a long way to healing the body.

Low Carbing- I found that most of my pain is caused by CARBS that my body just can't handle. Potatoes and wheat kill me no matter what the FOOD Pyramid says .That just doesn't work for me! This is the best Pain management that I have found so far. The longer I stay away from the bad stuff .The better I feel and the easier it is.

Supplements, I have found a number of supplements that help me to manage the pain and if you would like more info on that I can give you that as well.

Water: My new found secret weapon to get myself to drink water is to add a few ounces of black cherry juice to each 32 ounce bottle of water that I carry with me a day. I have found this gets me to be more thirsty and I now drink 70-90 ounces a day which is a record for me. !

I keep a Low Carb Journal to help me keep track of all FOOD, water, supplements, exercise, sleep, Notes on stress that was making me want to cheat. Haven't had any so far in 4 days!

Well Enough of me writing a book
Here's to beating fibro and losing weight !
Debbie
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 15:24

Hi Debbie,
Thanks for all of the good info on sleep. You bet I'm very interested in any more information you can share with me. I've thought about the herbals but am overwhelmed with the different ones and don't know where to start. My legs hurt so bad at night lately that I've been back on my tramadol. I hate to take that too much because I'm afraid I'll get immune to it and need something stronger. As it is I have to take two for it to completely get rid of the pain so I can sleep. I've got to start drinking water too. I am very bad about drinking tea and diet coke and only drinking maybe 16 oz. of water a day. I need to start putting everything in my journal too so I can keep track of what I eat and drink and what might be causing my flares. Thanks again for your help. The fibro controls my life so much right now that it's hard to do the things I need and want to do. It really makes it hard to stay dedicated to the LC life even though I know those comfort foods cause part of my pain. I appreciate any information you want to share with me!

Thanks,
Deb