Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-19, 07:45

Plan: South Beach Stillman QWL
Stats: 226/214.6/140 Female 5ft10 3/4
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Stillman Quick Weight Loss Thread 2020

I lost 50lbs following this plan some years back (I’ve sadly gained it all back with a few friends). It’s not an easy plan to follow but it does have crazy results. Someone I know managed to lose 21lbs in 21 days following QWL - they had around 45lb to lose, insane results, right! I can’t quite remember how long it took me to lose 50lbs because I had a break but I know it was quick. The diet plan is from the 60’s, it hasn’t been updated recently so I do allow some things that aren’t on the list that I believe to be OK and that I had no problems with in the past. I won’t list them all here, now but Shirataki noodles and unsweetened almond milk have never caused ME issues whilst following Stillman, so they are certainly on my menu. They are both very low fat and very low carb.

I started the plan today but quickly added in some fat so that I might get into Ketosis before going hard core low fat - I find this makes the transition easier than just jumping straight in. There are only a couple of days of 2019 left and I am determined to get this extra baggage off in early 2020. Anyone who wants to join me is welcome, it would be lovely to have a buddy or two but either way I’m doing this.

BASIC RULES OF THE STILLMAN QWL DIET

(from the original book, published in 1967)

Eat all you wish of the following foods to satisfy hunger. If you eat until you've satisfied your hunger but haven't stuffed yourself, and then feel hungry before the next meal, you can eat again but only from the foods listed here. In fact, you're better off eating smaller meals 6 times a day than 3 bigger meals as a general custom. But you must limit yourself to this extensive selection of high protein foods.

1. LEAN MEATS, with all possible fat trimmed off. Includes beef, lamb and veal. Eat it broiled, boiled, baked or smoked. No butter, margarine, oil or other fats or greases are to be used either in the cooking or the eating.

2. CHICKEN AND TURKEY, with all skin and visible fat removed. Broiled, boiled or roasted, with no butter, margarine, oil or other fats or grease. Young fowl is preferable, but not necessary.

3. ALL LEAN FISH AND SEAFOOD, such as flounder, haddock, cod, perch .. shrimps, scallops, lobster, oysters, clams and crab. Broiled, baked or boiled. No butter, margarine, oil or other fats or grease permitted in preparation or eating. You may have cocktail sauce, horseradish, ketchup in moderation *note: moderation = 1 tsp/5 ml

4. EGGS, hard-boiled preferably. Also soft or medium boiled, poached or any type of fried eggs made in non-stick pans without butter, margarine or other fats or oils.

5. COTTAGE CHEESE, FARMER CHEESE, POT CHEESE, and other cheeses made with skim milk. No whole milk cheeses.

6. AT LEAST 8 GLASSES OF WATER DAILY, absolutely essential! As much as you want of coffee and tea without cream, milk or sugar. You may sweeten with non-caloric sugar-substitute to taste. Enjoy all the club soda, vichy water and non-caloric carbonated beverages you wish, as often as desired.
However, the 8 glasses of water daily are in addition to whatever coffee, tea or non-caloric beverages you drink. This is an integral part of the specific internal process put in motion by the Quick Weight Loss Diet. Much more of your body fat is burned up than with most other diets. This leaves in its wake the waste products or ashes of burnt fat (= ketones ). They must all be washed out of your system by water which also serves to relieve any unpleasant dryness and taste in the mouth.

You may use common seasonings such as salt, pepper, garlic, cloves, thyme, other herbs and spices, cocktail sauce, tabasco sauce, horseradish, ketchup. Don't use any creamy or oily sauces or dressings. No mayonnaise, no salad dressings, no fats or oils.

It is desirable to take vitamins daily with the diet, such as a once-daily multiple vitamin and mineral tablet.

NOTHING ELSE IS PERMITTED ON THIS DIET --- NOTHING!
IF IT'S NOT MENTIONED IN THE PRECEDING LIST, DON'T EAT IT OR DRINK IT. The addition of any other food or drink will prevent the full and efficient functioning of the high protein internal reducing process which burns up more fat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

UPDATES TO THE QWL FOOD LISTS

(from the QWL Cookbook, published in 1972)

LEAN MEATS .. now includes lean pork, ham and lean sausages. Also lean game meats such as venison and rabbit, as well as chicken livers.

FISH AND SEAFOOD .. now includes all varieties of canned fish or seafood packed in water, or if packed in oil or sauce should be drained and washed under running water to remove it.

CLEAR SOUPS, without fats. Includes broths, bouillon or consommé made from meat, poultry or fish. Fat-free vegetable broth or bouillon (eg. onion or mushroom) is permitted, as long as all bits of vegetable matter are strained out.

ARTIFICIALLY SWEETENED GELATIN DESSERT, no more than 12 calories per half-cup serving. Check package to be sure.

CONDIMENTS, now includes mustard and vinegar (not sweet types), lemon and lime juice, onion and garlic powder in small amounts. Also may use small amounts of dry wine or other spirit in recipes, as long as the alcohol is allowed to cook away. Soy sauce is permitted as long as it contains no sugar or caramel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by Nemaste : Sun, Dec-29-19 at 08:07.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-19, 04:41

BF:

I ate a lot of food yesterday, I was so hungry. This is typical for me at the start of any low carb plan to be honest. I’m looking forward to my appetite diminishing rapidly which happens really effectively on the Stillman plan.

I was high or higher fat yesterday and will aim to drop the fat over the next couple of days. I might even manage to do so today, I guess it will depend on how hungry I feel. That said, fat doesn’t really fill me up, I could eat fat all day which is why Keto wasn’t really working for me - I’d eat far too many calories. I guess it works here because I’m not limiting my protein intake.

Anyway, I’m down 2.4lbs this morning, all water I know but it’s still good to see the drop. It’s after 10am here and I’ve just eaten a chicken thigh that I cooked in the oven yesterday. I cooked them in Franks buffalo sauce, all the skin and fat was removed before cooking of course. I’ve put some chicken drumsticks in the oven and prepared them the same way. I found them at the supermarket with all the skin and fat removed so that saved me a bunch of time and effort. My plan is to container them and leave them in the fridge for snacking on. It’s always good to have something nice at hand, especially if I have a weak moment.

I’m thinking of ordering some Crystal light. I know it’s not super healthy but it helps me to have a few different sweet drinks, even though I don’t have a real sweet tooth. I’ve ordered some protein chips/crisps which are strictly for desperate moments. They have four carbs in them and 100 calories. If I do eat them, I won’t eat cottage cheese or Greek yoghurt that day so at least my macros are consistent with regards to carbs. These are little hacks that I have found help me stay on plan and do not derail my loss. Of course these things are not Stillman but I’ve explained my reasoning for including them here and in my first post. If you decide to do Stillman, you will have to decide what works best for you. I sometimes think the best plans are the ones you can alter a little to suit your personal needs, don’t shoot me my numbers will talk for themselves.

Last edited by Nemaste : Mon, Dec-30-19 at 04:46.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-19, 02:28

BF:

Really happy to see a loss of 1.6lbs this morning, taking it to a total of 4lb lost in 2 days. I’m guessing I might have lost a little more as I normally weigh before eating or drinking anything I’ve still been eating higher fat but realise I need to start cutting that down if I want the trend to continue. I’ve also been eating insane amounts. It’s typical for me to be super hungry at the beginning. I’m looking forward to my hunger becoming much less which should happen by day 4 or 5 of being on plan. I can’t say I’ve been uncomfortable because when I’m hungry I just eat, it’s more of a pain than anything. I’m going to roast some more skinless chicken drumsticks in Franks Buffalo sauce and I’m considering making a chicken noodle soup in the croc pot which I’ll make with chopped up shirataki noodles.

Last edited by Nemaste : Tue, Dec-31-19 at 02:53.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-20, 06:32

BF:

Happy New year.

I had family over last night and being New Year, I engaged in some wine drinking... possibly around a bottle. I ate on plan but was still higher fat than I should be. I haven’t weighed this morning because the wine has made me feel bloated so I know my numbers won’t be good. Not too worried about it to be honest, it was NYE and I wanted to let my hair down a little.

Lots of chicken on the menu for me today. Let’s get these numbers moving. January 2020 is going to be a successful month
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-20, 06:36

Plan: IF+HP+Cycling+Stillman
Stats: 148/147/130 Female 5’6”
BF:29%/27%/20%-25%
Progress: 6%

So great to see someone on Stills! I might join you later this month. Hope you are doing well!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-20, 06:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHSB
So great to see someone on Stills! I might join you later this month. Hope you are doing well!

Hey

Be lovely to have some company, look forward to seeing you around. Stills really is a super plan, the results are crazy.

Last edited by Nemaste : Wed, Jan-01-20 at 07:10.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-20, 08:36

BF:

Cooked a large pot of chicken noodle soup in the croc pot. Down a pound this morning. I’ve no doubt the alcohol I drank held me back a little but I’m happy with my progress so far.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-20, 11:26

I am dipping one toe in...not fully committed for the week, but I had my standard Stillman’s egg + pot cheese breakfast (blended together, then cooked in a very thin layer and rolled like a crepe - not gourmet, but oddly satisfying to me). I’m also roasting a boneless turkey breast for later.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-20, 16:45

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Finding this approach interesting..... I can see how it makes for crazy good results. Very interested....
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-20, 04:10

BF:

Down 1.4 this morning, happy days! Drumsticks are roasting in the oven.
Tonight will be a venison steak or two
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-20, 04:13

BF:

Quote:
I am dipping one toe in...not fully committed for the week, but I had my standard Stillman’s egg + pot cheese breakfast (blended together, then cooked in a very thin layer and rolled like a crepe - not gourmet, but oddly satisfying to me). I’m also roasting a boneless turkey breast for later.

That sounds good. Totally forgot about crepes and pancakes. I have some sugar free syrup somewhere... I might give it a go for breakfast tomorrow.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-20, 04:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Finding this approach interesting..... I can see how it makes for crazy good results. Very interested....

It really does, I don’t loose as much weight if I fast! It can be challenging but it’s worth it.

Last edited by Nemaste : Fri, Jan-03-20 at 04:27.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jan-04-20, 05:40

BF:

Down 1.2lbs this morning. I finished all the chicken drumsticks and will now move on to leaner cuts of poultry and meat. I didn’t get around to cooking the venison yesterday so that will be tonight’s dinner. I’m just about to butterfly some chicken breasts which I will hammer out super thin and then oven on a high heat - that will take care of lunch.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jan-04-20, 06:04

Wow, Nemaste! You are doing great!

Pounded-flat chicken breasts sounds like a nice idea.

Are you able to drink 8 glasses of water every day? Do you find water intake makes a difference?
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jan-04-20, 07:00

BF:

Quote:
Wow, Nemaste! You are doing great!

Pounded-flat chicken breasts sounds like a nice idea.

Are you able to drink 8 glasses of water every day? Do you find water intake makes a difference?

Thank you NHSB

I have to be honest, I’m not great at drinking plain water but I do drink a lot of fluid throughout the day with a little sugar free cordial in it. I also drink diet lemonade and Diet Coke. I realise it’s not great for me but it helps me whist following this plan and it doesn’t seem to affect my weight loss which is interesting because if I do Keto, artificial sugar definitely affects my weight loss.

Day 1 - 2.4
Day 2 - 1.6
Day 3 - New Years Day. Drank wine NYE, no weigh
Day 4 -1lb
Day 5 -1.4
Day 6 -1.2
Day 7 -1

Last edited by Nemaste : Tue, Jan-07-20 at 14:07.