Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 19:18
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein's Diabetic Solution, LOTS of exercise !!
Stats: 155/148/135
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Metformin and Insulin Dependence

Does anyone out there have experience with being an insulin dependent diabetic and using Metformin.

I am currently using Humalin N for the long and Humalog for the short. I would like to know if Metformin would be useful for me.

Cheers, AJ
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 20:51

Plan: Free-range
Stats: 161/154/140 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi AJ...Yes, I'm on metformin as well as insulin, and I am finding it very helpful. I started taking 1x250mg once a day, back in March, but it caused chronic nausea (not the usual side effect) so I stopped taking it. Encouraged by the dr I tried again in late April and found that if i crushed the tab slightly (not powdered!!..not his idea !!) the nausea did not start. I still do this, and have just in the last two days moved up to taking 500mg 3 times daily. I use Novorapid & protophane as Humulin N caused 'heat waves' as it slow released, and have reduced the amount of each that I take..12/26 8 14/24 (down from 15/28 12 15/28 ), and of course, adjusted slightly if necessary. I've not been low carbing for long, so I'm still adjusting insulin down (and hypo-ing a bit). I try to stay arounf the 50-60g/day mark.
Metformin is about the only oral suitable for Type 1 as it just increases peripheral sensitivity to insulin. Use your browser and look it up. I've been T1 for nearly 30 years and suffered from pretty poor control for most of it..much happier now, but this WOL has come along a bit late...not too late I hope !! Eve
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 22:26

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 240/171/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Welcome Eve....I don't think it's ever too late to be healthier! Best ISHES!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 16:22
Registered Member

Plan: high fat
Stats: 205/205/150 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Eevee and AJ,

I'm a type 1 also, and I, too, am taking metformin. I take 1000mg at night, and I think it helps with my fastings. When I first wake up my readings lately have been in the 80's, althought they then shoot up to the 120's in the first 2 hours I'm awake without eating anything.

My newest doctor thinks it's weird that I'm getting benefit from the metformin as I've only had type 1 for 2 1/2 years - he says that for type 1s it's usually something that is helpful when you've had diabetes for a long time.

AJ, I am also on Lantus (1x at night) with Humalog (usually 3x daily) for my insulin. As far as the Lantus goes, I don't know what to think about it... I take 15u/day, down from 35 u/day before LC and have taken it for 10-11 months. I haven't had a problem with hypos really, and it's true there isn't a peak, so I guess that's a plus, but I just don't feel strongly positive about it either. I don't see it lowering my sugars at all during the day (let's say if I don't eat / don't take Humalog). Twice in the last four months, I have missed the Lantus dose at night, and I saw no change in my fasting sugars. Sometimes I think, is it doing anything?

-Deb
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 21:20
Registered Member

Plan: CAD, south beach
Stats: 000/000/175 Female 5 foot 10inches
BF:too freaken much
Progress: 0%

i am on lantus and novalog and on met pills 1000mg. the pills did not seem to help me and i was gaining 2 pounds a week while taking them. i got sick of it and took myself off of them a week ago. i lost 2 pounds last week due to not taking those pills. iam type 2 but doc says i maybe type 1 now do to a hard pregnancy that my body can not recover from. i had it all under control before now no matter what i do my sugars go into the 200-400s alot , even if i eat a carb free dry salad with an insulin shot insulin.
they tell us to loose weight to get better control of diabetes but insulin and some of the diabetic pills cause weight gain. so it is a catch 22.
good luck to you i do hope those pills help you more then they did for me. it not an easy road to travel down i know.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 09:14

Plan: Dr.Bernstein
Stats: 0/0/0
BF:
Progress:

I'm a type1 that still produces some insulin. I HAD been taking Lente for about 25 years (Humulin L was the last one). Last year I switched a controlled carb diet and was able to eliminate insulin completely with sugars ranging from 90-125 (that's a little higher than I'd like, but it beats a low blood sugar cash that was too common in my case). It may be worth noting that I have also always followed a very intensive weight lifting routine so I'm sure the extra muscle mass has played a large role in me being able to keep my sugars stable without the use of insulin.

Anyway, I recently started taking Metformin (the time released kind). I take 1x500 MG in the morning and 1x500 MG before bedtime to cover the dawn phenomenon. Since then, following the same diet, my blood sugar has not gone over 110. And if I'm real tight with the diet, it never breaks 100. My readings have also gone as low as 76--something that NEVER happened to me without insulin injections.

I've only been on the Metformin for a few weeks, so time will tell if this will be a long-term solution for me.

Last edited by type1 : Sun, Sep-21-03 at 09:27.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 23:02

Plan: Free-range
Stats: 161/154/140 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi BJ ...I don't think metformin would be responsible for your weight gain...they only make one more sensitive to the insulin so far as I am aware. Maybe too much insulin was the problem...more efficiently converted by the use of metformin. Eve