Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-07, 01:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 100
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default msn

hi, i am in perth and just starting to try and follow a low carb lifestyle. If anyone would like to chat further and help each other as well as reading these boards, i would greatly appreciate. Its good to hear from other aussies with local experiences. Thanks. Please feel free to add me to your msn if you wish.

For example, anyone got a recipe for a low carb cheesecake they recommend? anyone have any favourite places to buy low carb stuff in aus? i dont see much in coles and woolworths.

Tracey

neil4tracey~hotmail.com
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-07, 01:20

BF:

please note the address is

neil4tracey~hotmail.com

sorry
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-07, 06:21
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Hi mollywoger,

Nice to "meet" you hehehe. There is a cheesecake recipe on this site that seems to be popular from all the feedback.... but I dunno if American food is diff or what but it's pretty icky lol. I recommend trying out your own. You know a huge sweet buster though? There's a recipe on there for Black Forest Custard.

The way I do it, is I beat (with electric beater) 4 eggs and 1/2cup cocoa (maybe add a bit more cocoa until it is a nice thick paste that holds its shape if you stick your finger in it (which I have done many times lol :P)). While doing this, heat coconut cream (you can use normal cream if you like but you'll need to add sweetener if you do) then cool coconut cream slightly, pour into the cocoa/egg mixture in bits, beating it in between. Then when like a bowl of liquid, beat in a packet of berry-flavoured jelly. mmmmm mmmm mmmmmm hehe

Now lc products, when I first did lc I relied on them a lot (and failed), so much easier to do it without all those things and make you feel better too. Except lc tomato sauce, can't do without that. You can buy that online at thexton.com.au, from the manufacturer at empower.com.au or my local health food shop Go Vita stocks it on shelves.

What sorts of products are you after?

e

e
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-07, 17:34
Registered Member

Plan: basic low carb
Stats: 160.7/138.8/130 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default Hello fellow Perth Girl!

Hi Tracey, welcome to the LC world and hello from South Guildford.

I started the Tony Ferguson shakes diet about 3 months ago, but was so hungry after 2 weeks I just decided to go low carb and ditch the shakes. I read the Atkins book, did lots of research on the net and just went for it! I've lost 5.5kg so far, but I need to get back into exercising after having a virus for the last month - I"m stuck at 66kg!

Are you following a particular plan? I agree with Erika about the LC products, keep away from them in induction as they can slow you down, just stick with the protein and vegies on the allowed foods list - you won't be hungry and your appetite will diminish anyway. Are you doing induction?

I found LC chocolate at Coles - it's made by Cadbury and called Lite, I use the LC tomato sauce made by Empower, the bread, the wraps and I've used the satay sauce. The bread is a lifesaver as I was going nuts in the mornings - I JUST WANTED A PIECE OF TOAST!!! It's got 2.5g of carbs per slice, as well as 8g of fibre and its made with lots of seeds - tastes different to normal bread, more like really nutty & seedy healthy bread (if that makes sense). Anyway, even though these products are great, I think the more you use fresh the better off you will be - I've stopped most of them and I just have 1 small slice of bread for toast a day and 3 squares of the chocolate - can't give up the chocolate

I've started a file of LC recipes - my family love them and I have a hard time keeping my carbloving hubby away from all the cream & cheese that I'm allowed to eat!

This site has a great list of recipes and she tells you if they are suitable for induction - I've tried a few and they are great, its amazing what you can do with cauliflower!

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/index.html

Anyway, all the best and I look forward to chatting with you and catching up soon.

Cheers, Jodi
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-07, 04:22

BF:

hi jodester,nice to see another perth person, hello bsheets.. thankyou both for your detailed responses. right, i understand about eating clean foods for induction, and am about to finish day 2.. so far so good, but jeez i would love a piece of bread or something

i dont use lowcarb tomato sauce. empower makes it?? what shop do you buy that from? coles? woolies. thanks for that., cos i love tomato sauce with my meat

i dont dare try the lowcarb chocolate as i am sure i would eat the whole lot ugh. just trying to get past the stage of wanting any. and low carb bread. wow. i cant imagine
where do you buy these from? but as you say, i will avoid them during the two weeks induction, i just hope i get into ketosis soon!

thanks again for the welcome. btw.. do you guys still drink diet coke? has that effected you? how much water do you usualy drink? sorry for all the questions. cheers!

tracey
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-18-07, 04:11
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Tracey

I drink a lot of water, at least 2 litres, if not 3, each day. I measure out a jug in the morning and leave it on the bench, then I know exactly how much I'm drinking - its easy to think you've had heaps when you really haven't!

I don't drink soft drinks, so I can't really comment on how much to drink, but I think its probably better to try and go cold turkey or limit yourselft to a really small amount every day. You will go through withdrawal from carbs to some extent, feel weak and a bit flu-like, and if you are giving up caffeine as well you will most probably get headaches. These will all pass in a few days, and its worth it when you feel so much better!

The internet is your best source of information - search out as much as you can, the newbie forum on this site is excellent.

If you haven't read Dr Atkins book then I would suggest you get hold of a copy or go to the Atkins website - its better to know you are doing this WOE (way of eating) correctly, not sabotaging yourself. It helps to keep telling yourself that this is not a diet, this is how you will eat (or similar to) for the future. And if you fall off the wagon, stop - get up and get back on! Don't think you've blown it and may as well eat lots of bad stuff - stop beating yourself up and start fresh from your next meal. You only have to read some of the threads in other forums to see that we are all human, we mess up and we start again. You'll get heaps of support from us, not a hard time.

Questions are good - ask, ask, ask!! Also, read, read, read!!

Congrats on your success so far - you've started on your new life - enjoy the journey.

Cheers, Jodi
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-30-07, 23:36

Plan: uncommon sense
Stats: 173.0/135.5/145.5 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 136%
Default Sandgroper here!

Hi, I'm in Armadale. That Cadbury lite chocolate is pretty good - I've tasted worse! Have a look for Double D packets of sugar free lollies in the confectionary aisles of Coles and Woolies. The butter candy drops and the lemon and lime drops are great! Also if you don't like artificial sweeteners, go to the health food shop and get some xylitol which is SUPERB. There are different brands.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-31-07, 06:03
Registered Member

BF:
Default xylitol

Hi there Sandgroper person, nice to meetcha!

I have just discovered Xylitol, I first bought a chocolate brownie mix off the internet that used it, really liked the taste and did some more research on the stuff from there. I buy it direct from Sweet Life - they are in Nedlands and sell the bags of it as well as the brownie mix. My weight has been going up and down so I'm not really sure if it is affecting me or not - I had a bit of a blowout last weekend (chips & cheezels - and I didn't really even like them once I'd started, what's wrong with me!!!) and my weight has gone all over the place this week.

Have you had to explain yourself to friends or family when they ask how you are losing weight? My friends don't like it and think I'm silly - I don't think 6kgs gone is silly!! Luckily my hubbie and kids are good and they like the food I cook as well, makes life a lot easier.

Anyway, good luck and see you round the forums.

Cheers
Jodi
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-07, 23:07

Plan: uncommon sense
Stats: 173.0/135.5/145.5 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 136%

My husband is on Atkins, too, so that makes stuff easier! Yep, Xylitol rocks - I don't know why it is not more widely known: perhaps it's the cost, or the dreadful name!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-07, 21:53

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/196/160
BF:
Progress: 45%

Is the bread by Empower too? I'm just getting back into the LC thing after going off it due to pregnancy and breastfeeding guilt, so I'm way out of date with the products available.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-07, 06:39
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Jaddles, welcome back to the LC world.

Yes the bread is from Empower, it's called Golden Wholemeal. This is the blurb from the site:

Empower Golden Wholemeal Bakery Mix (700g)
sku#:
EWBREWM (No GST)
Not only have we developed the best tasting and lowest carb bread in Australia , but the same mix can also be used to make delicious low carb pizza bases. Now you can enjoy eating toast, a sandwich, a hamburger (complete with bun) and delicious pizza's - all without compromising your low carb diet! Each pack makes 2 loaves of bread or 6 delicious pizza bases. Each slice of bread contains only 2.5 grams of carbs! It can be made using a bread machine or a conventional oven with the help of a food processor. (NO GST ON THIS PRODUCT)

Ingredients:

WHEAT GLUTEN, WHEAT PROTEIN ISOLATE, CORN STARCH, WHEAT BRAN, SOY FLOUR, WHOLEMEAL FLOUR (5%), LINSEED, SUNFLOWER SEED, SOY FIBRE, SALT, POPPY SEEDS, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, EMULSIFIER (221), THIAMINE (VITAMIN B1). Contains milk, soy and wheat derivatives.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
Per Serving (44g slice, 15 per pack) - 509kj, Protein 11.8g, Fat - Total 5.9g, Saturated 0.7g, Carbs 2.5g, Sugars 0.1g, Fibre 6.1g, Sodium 165mg

You can order from Empower Foods website, or Low Carb Zone website, and I have also found it in my local health food shop.

I wouldn't recommend it if you are just starting out, but if you've done induction then its great to have a piece of bread or toast again!

Good luck, hope to see you around the boards.

Cheers, Jodi
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-07, 21:56
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Yep my local health food shop sells Empower's bread, chocolate, muffin mix, wraps, tomato/satay/sweetnsour sauces as well as their gluten-free range. It's a bit cheaper to buy it from the site if you buy in bulk but I always like to support the locals hehehe. I've seen their sauces stocked at American-chain GNC too, so they're getting wide-spread.

I've bought xylitol from thexton.com.au (as well and lots of Empower and Carbless foods). I didn't make the preference for it due to the label saying increased usage can have a laxative effect. I figured that meant it was engineered? I use stevia. Also on thexton or at my local health food shop.

I drink diet cola or else I'd have a big blow out. Usually try to keep it at one 250mL glass which I have during the evening but yesterday I had two. I figure it's ok as long as I limit it and I mix it with LC diet cola so I don't get an overload of aspartame.

It may stall me, I don't know, but it's better thannot having it and then diving into a slab (or two :nono of chocolate. Stalls of this kind are only due to your body retaining water as a reaction to the effect sugar alcohols have when they go "straight through you" instead of being metabolised. As far as I'm concerned, if I'm still burning fat, it doesn't matter if I have 100g or so of water retained.

Actually now that I think of it, I had my water retention properly tested yesterday. It's 0.7%. ... 20% is poor; 10-20% is ok; less than 10% is good.

So in all, it's up to you. I gotta stop tying and hogging all the posting space in this thread hahaha.

Have a great day all,
e
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-12, 01:25

Stats: 220/145/120 Female 5ft8
BF:
Progress:

The more water you drink the less water you hold
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-12, 02:00

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Has anyone recommended Bawdy's Cheesecake? It's in American measurements, but maybe you can convert,

2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1/2 cup Splenda (or any flavored SF syrup you like)

Blend until combined, maybe 15 or 20 seconds. Then slowly add:

16 ounces cream cheese (2 packages, softened)
2 Tbsp melted butter

That's it! If you like, you can make a crust out of 1 1/2 cups almond meal (ground almonds), 1/4 cup splenda, and 1/4 cup melted butter.

Bake in a preheated 325-degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes. It won't look quite done, but it does firm up as it cools and has been in the fridge. To help keep the top from cracking, I place a pie tin filled with water on the shelf below to keep the heat moist.

I input this into Fitday, and the totals are (using Splenda and having a crust):

4,049 calories
370 grams fat
81 grams carbs (minus the 24 grams of fiber equals 57 ECC)
92 grams protein

If you get 12 servings out of it (which are still good-sized servings, since it's pretty rich), the counts per serving are:

324 calories
30 grams fat
4 ECC
7 grams protein

And if you use a liquid SF sweetener like DaVinci's or Atkins syrups or Sweetzfree (which have no carbs), the ECC for the whole recipe drops to 39, and one serving drops to 3. Remember, a cup of granular Splenda has 24 carbs in it because of the maltodextrin filler they use so it measures the same as sugar.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ight=cheesecake
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-12, 02:37
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Not sure why such an old thread has been revived, but it has been more than 4 years since the OP has visited the forum.