Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 11:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 132/126.7/118
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default To die for Chicken Pot Pie w/parmesan crust

Ok, so hubby has been bugging me to make him a chicken cheese pot pie and I have been avoiding it for carb reasons. He wanted one today so I made two- one his way and one low carb. Was skeptical about how it would turn out, but it is amazing! Here is the recipe- you add whatever veggies you are allowed to have per carb requirements. all carb counts are via fitday.com

Crust: 16 carbs
1.2 c vital wheat gluten (12)
1 tbsp defatted soy flour (3)
1 tbsp flax seed
2 tbsp parmesan cheese (1)
1.5-2 tbsp ice water
4 tbsp cold butter, cut in cubes
spices to taste (parsley and basil work great)
dash pepper, dash salt

Filling: base has 6 carbs, veggies add carbs
1.5-2 cups chicken broth- canned or homemade(1)
1 cup chicken- cooked/chopped (~1)
2 tbsp butter, softened to room temp
1 tbsp white flour(yes white!)(3.8)
small amount of thickennotthin or other starch
seasonings to taste(poultry seasoning, pepper, celery salt)
Any veggies you want to add, cooked until just tender, not full cooked

To make crust: Mix all dry ingredients. cut cold butter into dry mix until it resembles coarse meal. Add 1.5 tbsp cold water and mix by hand until it forms ball of dough that sticks together. Add slightly more water if necessary. Form a disc with dough and wrap in saran wrap- refrigerate at least 30 mins

To make filling: Bring broth to a boil. while it is heating, mix butter and flour together using your hands. Add to boiling broth, small amounts at a time, stirring constantly. After fully disolved, add 1/2 tsp thickener, and wait 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Should resemble chicken gravy in texture/thickness. If not, add slightly more thickener. add seasonings to taste. Remove from heat and pour into 8x8 baking dish. Add any veggies and chicken now. Roll out crust till it fits top of dish and place on dish. cut slits in it, and coat with beaten egg. If you want a top and bottom crust, you can divide dough in half before refrigerating and put one in bottom of pan before filling.

Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 325 and bake 10 mins more. Serve hot. It tastes almost as good as hubbies, with only about 1/8th of the carbs! With 10 large baby carrots, this recipe yeilds 4 servings with net 7.5 carbs each! YUM YUM YUM! I just finished eating it!
nann

Edit- update!!! my husband who is a nonlowcarber tasted it, and said it was better than his, so I get to make it this way form now on! It is awesome.

Last edited by last15 : Thu, Aug-21-03 at 11:12.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 10:28

BF:

Alright- 222 people have looked at this recipe, and none have come back to comment. Have any of you tried it? Did you like it? Any suggestions for changes, if you didn't ? LOL
Nan
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 15:37
Registered Member

Stats: 269/221/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%
Smile

It looks good. I will try it when the weather turns cooler. I am a lazy cook in the summer
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 15:59

Plan: was Atkins now SB
Stats: 200/197.5/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:42/42/23
Progress: 10%

It looks soo good!
I'll try it when the weather cools.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 14:18

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 180/151/125
BF:
Progress: 53%

Last 15, this des sound good,gonna give it a go.

?. I have Zero Carb Bake Mix, its soy based, can I use that, I have everything else.....

i
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 14:26

Plan: Dr Bernstein
Stats: 195/175/170
BF:
Progress: 80%

It sounds so good, was going to make it tonight, realized I have to get off my duff and order the thicknthin notstarch over the net, nobody in town has it. Maybe that's why everybody looks and doesn't post, our kitchens are not yet fully stocked for lc?? Bill
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 13:34

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 320/260/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:

I have everything and was going to make it today, but I'm getting a somewhat higher carb count (29 to your 12) for 1.2 cups vital wheat gluten. What brand are you using?

My Hodgson Mills Vital Wheat Gluten has 3 g carbs & 1 g fiber for 2 g ECC per 4 tsp. Using 48 tsp. per cup I believe that would be 24 ECC per cup and 29 ECC for 1.2 cups. My Bob's Red Vital Wheat Gluten "Flour" has 6 g per 1/4 cup for 24 g per cup and 29 g in 1.2 cups.

Did you mean to say 1/2 cup vital wheat gluten? Please tell me what I'm doing wrong. I do so love Chicken pot pie.

Last edited by ncrushing : Wed, Sep-10-03 at 05:03.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 21:14

BF:

it is actually 1/2 cup- I realized it after it was too late to edit the recipe, and since no one was posting, I didnt' pursue it. Word of advice, don't over mix! will become too sticky. Yes, bake mix would work- it is all in the spices- i am going to try with bake mix next time. If you use a lower carb crust ie the mixes rather than the flours, you can leave out the thickinthin and use a tad more flour , or any xanthan gum or other thikener
nan
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 18:33
"Slaying My Demons"

Plan: Keto
Stats: 262.2/189.2/155 Female 5'8"
BF:Hell Yes!
Progress: 68%

Hi Nann,
You can edit you recipe or any post that you make by using the "edit" button at the bottom of the post you want to edit. This will bring it back up into a window so that you can make corrections. This recipe sounds good and it would be worth the edit.

Last edited by Signey : Fri, Oct-10-03 at 18:34. Reason: typo