Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-21, 16:58

Plan: Dr. Bernstein, low carb
Stats: 200/178/155 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 49%

I'm just now seeing this thread. I echo what the others have said. You cannot go back to eating high carb, processed foods and maintain the better health and weightloss. But it does get easier the longer you do it.

Carby foods are very hard to control for those of us who have or had a weight problem. Attempting to add back "just a little" usually results in adding back a whole lot. The lucky few can rein it in quickly, others can't.

Me personally, I can't. A bit of cake today, becomes 2 bites tomorrow, and a whole piece next day, etc. I've maintained 40 of the 50lbs I lost originally for 5 years now. I had a brief period of dabbling in processed carbs and gained back 20lbs 2 years ago. Lesson learned! I must be very careful of "tasting" carby foods.

The good news is there are many substitutes you can make for foods you crave. There are many low carb desert recipes or cauliflower mashed potatoes or cauliflower rice, or fat head pizza crust. We don't have to be deprived of good tasting food, and our taste buds do adapt.

I have found that to maintain, I do not have to count every veggie carb I have. As long as I stick to low carb veggies, meat and fats, I don't have to think about it too much. I do have to keep in mind how much of low carb "treats" like nuts, cheese and deserts I eat, especially if I want to get back to my lowest/best weight. That is way, way easier than trying to limit portion sizes of carby foods.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-21, 20:24

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Hi Jewels,

I noticed that your food list contains a lot of dairy and processed food. Mine did too at one time, but I found that I am sensitive to the protein in dairy "milk solids" (not the lactose) and in things like Atkins products, yogurt, cheese, instant pudding. They cause me inflammation & bloating. It was hard to give them up because they are so convenient, but I first committed to 2 weeks dairy free. The difference was significant. No more stomach bloating, burping & f~rting, itchy eyes & nose or stuffed up sinuses. Eliminating dairy (after grains) allowed me to lose the last 15 lbs that I always had a problem with. And a lot of my cravings to eat more dairy & carbs were caused by eating dairy (probably due to the casomorphins) and grains (gliomorphins). My cravings completely disappear when I avoid dairy & grains.

I do well with butter, eggs, meat, poultry, fish, salad, a few nuts, occasional bacon, and low-carb veggies that I usually buy frozen to avoid wastage since I don't eat much at a time. My maintenance diet is the same diet that I lost on and virtually identical to Westman's list that Janet posted.

I put 1 tsp of butter in my morning mug of coffee and cook up hard-boiled eggs, roasts, poultry & fish (enough for 4-12, divided & I freeze the leftovers) so there is always something to grab & eat if I don't feel like cooking or have a lot of time.

One quick & easy treat I love is chocolate mug or "lava" cake:
1 or 2 T butter, melted in microwave, stir in:
1 or 2T cocoa powder
dash salt
sweetener equivalent to 1 or 2T sugar (I use an erythritol/stevia mix & like less sweetness)
1 or 2 eggs (1 makes lava, 2 more cakey)
nuke for 30-60 minutes, depending on amounts, your microwave & desired texture

You can mix and match the 1T vs 2T in any combination, they all work. It just takes trial & error to find your favourite taste & texture and how long to nuke it

Last edited by deirdra : Fri, Jan-15-21 at 20:50.
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-21, 08:53

Plan: SEC
Stats: 198/183/150 Female 168 (5.512 ft)
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default No cravings - no deprivation

A revisit.
Good post.
I eat a little low carb every day but only Once a day and After having a usually a sallad, more veggies, proteins and last the carbs. i loose weight slowly and have a life span plan ... for as long as I have this med. insulin disorder. If I eat another meal durring the day it is no more that 3% carbs in that meal. Max one decaf/te with no more that 2 oz cream/milk per day. In short.
I am careful with AS, caffeine, MSG glutamates and additives. Limit approximate to 2 oz of cheese in the craving reduction meals.
If I am happy with my weight I just add a little craving reducing veggies to my complementary meal. I average my measurements (measure tape) or weight one every 7th day. This gives me a good picture of my progress and how to maintain. Fasting IF helps me a great deal too. 1-2 meals/day tops 3 - no snacking. I don't gain fast either this way. This lowers and balances my insulin and "hunger hormons". No yo-yo dieting.
No cravings, no deprivation.

We have different insulin levels even when fasting.
Find a rhythm, a way of living i.e. eating that works for you.

Hope this was of help to anyone.
<3

Last edited by Happy girl : Mon, Jan-18-21 at 08:23.
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-21, 16:26

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelssam
My husband asked me today, "will I have to be on this diet the rest of my life? What happens when I'm at goal and how do I not regain?"

Answers are:

Yes. But it's not a diet: it's an eating plan, a lifestyle choice.

Nothing happens when you are at goal. How you got there will likely be how you stay there.

See above.

It seems harsh, but then again, so is the despair when I'm trying to get ready for work and none of my pants fit, or the exhaustion at the end of the day which is supposed to be ME time and I feel miserable, or the constant tormenting hunger which doesn't leave for more than an hour at a time.

That was my previous life, and I'm not going back.

My own tricks involve finding the highest carb element and seeing what I can do about eliminating it. I have the extra hurdle of needing it to be quick and easy, without a food processor or much of a kitchen.

Reuben made on a plate, no bread, melted in the microwave.
Layer of egg, build a pizza on top, put cover on pan until cooked through.
Antipasto plate.
Brisket with a side of guacamole.

My rule is, Can I eat meat? If I don't feel like it, I'm not hungry.

I've got to try that lava cake