Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#196   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-07, 21:49
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Reviving an old thread.

This was such a great read.

Thanks for sharing everybody
Sponsored Links
  #197   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 17:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 295/230/150 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 45%

I think I am just addicted to food and eating it.
  #198   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 19:12

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

I read the title and thought, if I knew how not to self sabotage...I wouldn't be yo - yo ing the last 20 pounds or so for the last 2 years!

At least have not put it all back on and then some.....
  #199   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 09:11

Plan: Organic, Raw Foods
Stats: 176/138/117 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 64%

Hi All! I posted this over in another section, but thought maybe it was worth repeating if it could help someone. Have you by chance read A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle? I haven't watched Oprah in years, but tuned it in when my favorite author, Louise Hay was on. During that, I learned about Eckhart Tolle. I am using Tolle's techniques for being calm and in the "present" and trying to use it with my eating and sleeping. There is a huge section on "pain body" and how we sabatoge ourselves (it's not our fault!!!). Oprah and Eckhart did a ten week class by internet on the book (a chapter a week). It is available free on Oprah's website if you are interested. Nice meeting you!
  #200   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 13:16

Stats: 295/230/150 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 45%

Will check this out.
  #201   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 13:58

BF:

Good luck! Hope it helps some. There is a huge message board connected with just the book and they discuss it chapter by chapter too. Here is the link (if we're allowed to post links??) http://www.oprah.com/community/comm...iew=discussions
  #202   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-10, 00:53

Stats: 225/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 46%

I want to bump this very important thread for all of us that are trying and trying over and over, also for those that have succeeded with their goals but may be backsliding.
Happy New Year, New Decade!!
  #203   ^
Old Sat, Jan-09-10, 21:26

Stats: 210.8/205.2/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 9%

For myself, I would say that there are a great number of things involved in self-sabotage.
1) Not having a clear image of myself as a slim person
2) Not having figured out the right amount for me to eat
3) Having not developed different strategies (other than eating) to deal with boredom, loneliness, anger or frustration in my life.
4) Just plain old liking to eat and eating more in hopes of recapturing the taste and sensation that was there in the first few bites of a favorite food but tends to fade quickly (HEY, that's a signal to STOP, right?)
I think there are answers and strategies for all of these -- you have to stay awake (conscious) when putting food in your mouth and be awake to who you are in present time. Self-acceptance is good too. I get frustrated when I realize I will never have a "perfect" body and then think, why bother? That is definitely wrong-headed and the ultimate self-sabotage.
  #204   ^
Old Sat, Jan-09-10, 21:50

BF:
Default Welcome 150!

I purchased my first "super" blender last week and am anxiously awaiting its arrival (it had to be ordered on-line). I am on about my sixth or seventh book about healthy raw foods (and their benefits) and am going to make lots of smoothies. This website has wonderful information and videos on eating fresh fruits and vegetables http://www.greensmoothiegirl.com/
  #205   ^
Old Sun, Jan-10-10, 03:28

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 305/221/180 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by purnois
I purchased my first "super" blender last week and am anxiously awaiting its arrival (it had to be ordered on-line). I am on about my sixth or seventh book about healthy raw foods (and their benefits) and am going to make lots of smoothies. This website has wonderful information and videos on eating fresh fruits and vegetables http://www.greensmoothiegirl.com/

Hey there my Sweet Friend Kathy,
I wanted to see a picture of that ''super blender", what a great way to get in veggies, since I don't like veggies in the first place. Post a picture please.

Hugs,
Joan
  #206   ^
Old Sun, Jan-10-10, 11:15

BF:
Default Sweet, Wonderful, Joan

My family and Danny's family gave me money for Christmas so I did a ton of research and ordered a Blendtec blender: http://www.lifebeginsraw.com/blender_discounts.html

QVC was running a special on Vita-Mix blenders in early January and I watched each presentation for ideas and recipes. Vita-Mix is also an amazing blender according to all that I am reading. I hear both brands are wonderful and have fantastic warranties. The one I ordered was a bit cheaper, somewhat more powerful, and the controls seemed easier to use.

I am TERRIBLE about eating vegetables and need a way to add real food, not packaged food (with lots of additives) to my diet. Smoothies got my attention. Video #1 here is a demonstration showing veggies and fruit. Most people are saying they begin with mostly fruits, ice, and add greens little by little. http://www.greensmoothiegirl.com/videos/videos-page-1/

Here are two great demo videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdXm...feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNoB...feature=related

Anyway, I am so excited about my blender arriving. According to UPS tracking (they don't work weekends), it has left Salt Lake City and should be at my doorstep on Wednesday.

I am like you, I do not like vegetables, and I know I NEED them, so I plan to do it the painless way and make them into smoothies and "ice cream". I am collecting recipes, and I will taste test and report back. One of the very basics I've found is "green lemonade."

Oh dear, you got me going ! I am so excited about all of this and I think the smoothies are going to be a natural way to cleanse and keep my inners working well. And, the side benefit to all of this seems to be your body finding and keeping its natural, healthy weight as all of the toxins and "sludge" are removed from cells. I haven't "found" my healthy weight since my twenties.

Teddy Bear Hugs
Kathy
  #207   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-10, 01:22

Stats: 225/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150-4-me
For myself, I would say that there are a great number of things involved in self-sabotage.
1) Not having a clear image of myself as a slim person
2) Not having figured out the right amount for me to eat
3) Having not developed different strategies (other than eating) to deal with boredom, loneliness, anger or frustration in my life.
4) Just plain old liking to eat and eating more in hopes of recapturing the taste and sensation that was there in the first few bites of a favorite food but tends to fade quickly (HEY, that's a signal to STOP, right?)
I think there are answers and strategies for all of these -- you have to stay awake (conscious) when putting food in your mouth and be awake to who you are in present time. Self-acceptance is good too. I get frustrated when I realize I will never have a "perfect" body and then think, why bother? That is definitely wrong-headed and the ultimate self-sabotage.

Thank you 150 I do believe you summed up self sabbotage beautifully thank you so much
  #208   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-10, 22:18
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hey guys - just saw the title and thought I'd hop onboard. I'm not going to go back and read the last 13 pages, at least not tonight! But I will check back to this thread.

Nice post, 150!
  #209   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-12, 10:23

Stats: 180/154/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

Bumping this back into the present time.....it's a timeless subject.
  #210   ^
Old Mon, Oct-01-12, 21:59

Plan: Primal/Paleo/MyOwn
Stats: 187.5/168/132 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Pollyanna, thanks for bumping this thread up. It's a really good read, and very timely for me.

I've been thinking about my own reasons for self-sabotage, and I think there are three main reasons:

1. Low carb healthy eating takes a certain amount of energy and commitment from me. When other "life" and "stress" happen, I just don't have the focus and ability to keep doing low carb while dealing with whatever crisis is at hand. I don't have the time or energy. I still have to cook for others, but find it very hard take the extra time to be sure there is something for me.

2. I kind of don't "believe" that little cheats will count. As a kid I ate so much junk, and I was the scrawniest little kid ever. Skin and bones with no muscle. Of course, now I'm plenty plumped-out, but those early eating patterns have stayed with me to a certain extent. There's an element of sheer enjoyment with the taste and texture of junk food.

3. Eating carby, sugary junk soothes me. When stressed, angry, disappointed, worried, etc. etc. etc, I find temporary relief in eating junk food. I am momentarily distracted. The relief doesn't last long though. I need to remember when in these situations that I still need to deal with whatever emotion I have, instead of just delaying it by a few moments while stuffing my face with junk.