Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 15:14

Plan: Atkins...hp/hf
Stats: 333/313.2/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 11%
Thumbs up curious as to the size of weights to use!

i was just curious as to the weights you are all using to lift? i have just started my 12 week bfl challenge and am currently using 24 pounds to start, and upping 5 pounds each set ( 10, 8, 6) and back down to 24 lbs for the last 2 sets of 12 reps each.

are there varying weights for certain exercises? what i mean is....do i need to increase the weights for lower body? or decrease the weights on the triceps or biceps? or do i use the same for all?

i have slowly been working myself into a bfl style since i started atkins in oct.,2003...its been 6 months and ive lost 81 pounds and am now ready to start building a nice form!! i enjoy lifting...it makes me feel GREAT!! for the last few weeks i have been adding the extra 5 pounds every new set but began to wonder about how much weights should be lifted for what exercises? anyone know of a good link or anything helpful?

even if no link or help can you describe the size weights you use for what exercises?

THANKS ya'll!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 15:47
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Hi PammieJoe - Congrats on your awesome, absolutely awesome progress - I'm sure that adding the BFL routine to your plan will really change your shape - I love doing it and see results really quickly - I fell quite in love with my muscles!!!

When you say 24lbs do you mean 2 12lb dumbells or 2 24lb dumbells (to me that would be a LOT) - for upper body I had to start out at 5lbs and could only go to 10 on most exercises - I gradually worked up to where I can now do some at 15lbs and occasionally manage one or two reps at 20 (2 20lb dumbells that is). When you are first starting you have to experiment to see what you can handle - don't push yourself too hard the first time or two, you will build your strenght fast enough. I find it really hard to increase in 5lb increments but sometimes there is no choice - the only way I could manage to handle the 2 x 15 was to get some 12lb ers to help me bridge the gap. There are some weight systems that allow you to add 1/2 lb increments - but they are expensive.

Since I do most of my lower body on a weight bench that has an attachment for weights I use quite a bit more weight for the lower - I'm up to about 90lbs total now for leg extensions and about 70 for curls - however even for squats and lunges I think it's easier to manage heavier weights for lower body since basically you are just holding the weight in your hands while the legs do the work. You will soon find out just how much you can handle and how to increase your weights. The first set of 12 is basically to warm up the muscles and you should use the lightest weight you plan to use, then up it for each set till the final 12/24 (12 if you have a finishing exercise - this is one which uses the same muscle but from a different angle - so you would do 12 of the first exercise and 12 of the finisher i.e. dumbell pullovers and dumbell laterals both use the back) then say you used this formula 12 at 7, 10 at 10, 8 at 12, 6 at 15 - you would do the final 12/24 at 12 - don't worry if you start to falter after 5 or 6 - just quickly switch to your 10lbs and finish, you might even have to drop to 8 before you finish - but this is ok, you are pushing yourself to the limit and this is the goal. For a couple of exercises - shoulder side lifts (I think that is the name) - you lift a weight I have to use a really light weight - to do 12 reps - if I can manage 12 aT 5LBS for that I feel like hercules!!!

Make sure too that you take your full 1 minute rest between sets - I used to try and rush - it makes a HUGE difference in performance if you take the whole 60 seconds.

Good luck!!!! ps I'm so glad I read your post, I've been wimping out the last week or so and you have re-inspired me
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 16:21
Registered Member

Plan: strictly BFL
Stats: 183/166,4/158 Male 180 cm
BF:22%/18%/12%
Progress: 72%

Here is my upper body workout from my very first day of BFL:

Since I had some problems with shoulder and neck I started very slow on my first day of BFL (now it is more after two weeks)
For example:
Breast
Dumbbell press: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 lbs
Dumbbell flyes: 7 lbs

Shoulders
Seated Dumbbell press: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 lbs
Side raise: 4 lbs

Back
Lat Pulldown: 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 lbs
Reverse Grip Pulldown: 25 lbs

Triceps:
Triceps Pushdown 7,5; 10, 12,5; 12,5; 15 lbs (this was too heavy)
Triceps Extension (with one dumbbell): 7 lbs

Biceps
Seated Dumbbell Curls: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 lbs
Incline Dumbbell Curls: 4 lbs

This shows that you have to find the right weights for each muscle group. I start very ligth, add weights slowly, the fiths set should be quite heavy and the sixth set with with second exercise should go to the max, i. e. the 12th rep should be last possible rep. Everytime I don't hit the high point with the last set and rep I increase the weight next time.

On Monday I had problems to wash my hair afterwards, because my arms felt so weak from training.

Since the muscles in the legs are stronger I use more weight for example:
Leg press: 37, 45, 53, 69, 85 lbs (tomorrow max. will be 109 lbs)
Leg Extension: 25
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 16:49
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%
Progress: 100%

Wow Pammie, you've done amazing!

Welcome to the BFL forum.

To try to add to the previous excellent posts, I would start by stating that the amount of weight you are using is dictated by intensity. So you might get the same level of intensity doing bicep curls with a 10 lb dumbbell as someone else might get with 30 lb dumbbell or a 5 lb dumbbell.

Like Koko said, don't start out to heavy, but it you find you are doing your last set and it is still easy for you (i.e. you are only hitting say a level 8 intensity instead of a level 10 intensity) make a note of it and up the weight next time.

In most cases you can use heavier weights for lower body because the muscles in our legs are bigger.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.
Arnie
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 22:20

Plan: Atkins...hp/hf
Stats: 333/313.2/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 11%
Thumbs up

too cool thanks all of you for your input!! i am happy with the weights as i have ben lifting them now...i am really pushing it in the last 2 reps of 12 so i guess i am at my limit on that. i will soon start to add weight on my squats, but they are almost too much right now when i am at 40 lbs so maybe i am weak in my legs and strong in my arms...lol....39 lbs on curls or behind the neck raises is nuthin for me!! all i know is i feel really really great after i lift!!

i did notice today that i felt really tired and weak all day....i havent succesfully incorporated 6 meals into my regimine and wonder what i am lacking that would make me so tired. i was also super cranky today so maybe i am just pmsing...lol...who knows with me!! i am taking L-glutamine, but its 500mg caps....how many do i need o take on a weight lifting day? i am 223ibs right now.

again thanks for all the input!!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 09:49

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 260/197/150 Female 5'7
BF:52/42.5/28
Progress: 57%

Hi Pammie - great work so far! Be proud!
On weight days, I take 6 - 500mg L-Glutamine tabs with 2 1000 mg Vit.C - can't remember where I read 3000 mg for the L-Glutamine, but it hasn't hurt me I don't think - just not sure if it has helped lol!

I am close to your weight so hope that helps. As for your lifting, I had to start really light with upper body free weights, and for squats I only can do the bar - no weight yet - so I just do those 3 sets of 15 regulare squats, and 3 sets plié squats - I figure since I'm absolutely fatigued by the time I'm finished, I've hit my high point even if I'm not doing them pyramid style. I think BFL is flexible - I've had to do these little changes but I'm still getting awesome results.

Have fun, and welcome!

Laura