Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-20, 13:16

Plan: Keto/Intermittent Fasting
Stats: 270/263/185 Female Short
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Another Internet Keto guru that makes the Keto Diet harder than it has to be. Dr Westman's support group was last night, so his answers are fresh in my mind. You don’t have to measure ketones, urine, blood or any method. No macros. No weighing. You don’t have to avoid sweeteners...there are no studies that prove that hinder weight loss. And on down this guy's list. KISS.

It also reminds me of a post on another keto forum:

I agree.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-20, 15:00

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I love simple because it's easier to comply and stay consistent. I don't measure anything. I can't remember the last time I stepped on a scale or worried about meal portions. Weighing food? Why bother. If you're eating the right foods and you know the difference between fat, protein, and carbohydrates, as others have stated, you're good. I respect those who want minute details, but after a few months, most realize that it's not necessary to sweat the small stuff. Dr. Westman's page 4 is a bright light for those beginning the journey and as a refresher for those who've maintained for years.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Mar-06-20, 13:35

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 178/178/147 Female 5ft8.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

Good video, but chiropractors are called doctors now?
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Mar-06-20, 16:35

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

MDs are not the only doctors. I grew up surrounded by Doctors... had to guess if MD or PhD. The title "Dr." is tied to a doctorate.

I now have to look to find out if MD, PhD or CO...each brings a different perspective.....CO taught holustic basics, M D s taught drugs. PhD learn the science thru research.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Fri, Mar-06-20 at 16:52.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Oct-15-20, 14:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/general low carb
Stats: 196/183/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 20%

~Were Bear:

Can you elaborate what you meant by eliminating so many foods? And explain how you started? The autoimmune problem caught my eye too.

I have wanted to get back into ketosis but have a condition called super ventricular tachycardia, which is similar to POTS. The keto flu creates a really rough adrenaline spike for me and so far I haven't seemed to be able to get past the first 2 weeks like I had a couple years ago. Yet I know low carb, high fat is how I feel my best once I've successfully been in ketosis awhile. I broke my elbow in Dec 2018 and got completely derailed. I'm wondering if your method of fasting first, or I think that's what you were explaining, makes the transition easier. You share that you had such great weight loss and I'm so inspired! I'd be so grateful if you could give me some tips about how you made it work for you in the beginning.

Thank you so much in advance.
Molly (Moje)
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Oct-15-20, 16:12
Registered Member

BF:

I'm checking out the video this post was about as well.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Oct-15-20, 16:13

BF:

Molly if WB misses this post, pop over to her journal.

There are ways to reduce the keto flu. Add more carbs and go slower.

There tricks to ease into keto...mno obe should ferl crappy according to dr Atkins. Just add in a few more carbs each day. And be sure to increase salt intake .

Some can jump into fasting, but imho it might feel like keto flu x 10
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Oct-15-20, 16:47

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 215/197.2/195 Male 73.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
I love simple because it's easier to comply and stay consistent. I don't measure anything. I can't remember the last time I stepped on a scale or worried about meal portions. Weighing food? Why bother. If you're eating the right foods and you know the difference between fat, protein, and carbohydrates, as others have stated, you're good. I respect those who want minute details, but after a few months, most realize that it's not necessary to sweat the small stuff. Dr. Westman's page 4 is a bright light for those beginning the journey and as a refresher for those who've maintained for years.

Exactly. If it is meat, fish, fowl, eggs or veggies, I can eat as much as I want. Cheese and nuts as snacks. If it is not the aforementioned, then I don't eat it. Appetite amazingly adjusts to a protein-rich/ fat rich diet, and you find yourself satisfied with less. Could not be simpler.

(This is not to say I do not miss carby foods, but when shrinking the waistline simple is good)

Last edited by Sniggle : Thu, Oct-15-20 at 16:52.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Oct-16-20, 05:06

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

When I hear about these fantastic weight loss stories on Keto, I wonder how old the person is
My weight loss has been sluggish at best - but then I am approaching my 90's
I do wonder how much estrogen has to do with weight loss
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Oct-16-20, 05:55

BF:

Could low testosterone be a problem or low thyroid ? Both drop with age in women.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Oct-16-20, 06:28
Registered Member

BF:

This is a whole other topic but I've recently found out about the many bodily functions that low zinc effects. The older we get, zinc and a few other important nutrients aren't as prevalent in our systems. Eric Berg on YouTube has some great videos about low nutrients that effect weight loss and other symptoms. I'm hoping that has been part of my problem in the past.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Oct-16-20, 08:22

BF:

Yes, supplementing zinc has been on my mind for a couple years. Oysters are too expensive but heard an add for one of those cold remedies with but c and zinc and a couple others
vitamins. Trying to remember name. Thought it might be an affordable zinc source.

( Vit c should be from fruits and veg not just ascorbic acid to get full profile.)

Google search listed many otc options.

Here is pub med article.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22429343/

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Fri, Oct-16-20 at 08:28.