Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 22:07

Plan: Air and water
Stats: //130 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Cool Any Ideas?

FMS, SAD, ADD, and FAT....no wonder I'm depressed! I could really use some input from you folks.

I am on a very limited income, and my doctor wants me on a low carb diet, but (cue the violins) most of my groceries come from the food bank, which consists of.....you guessed it, BREAD!! Nothing like filling up already malnourished people on... well, crap. How do I lose weight and get healthy again?

I desperately need help from these forums. Is there an inexpensive way of doing Atkins?

I'm just thankful that walking is free or I'd have no excersise
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-05, 00:29

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

Eggs are a good healthy food and inexpensive. Fix them different ways and you won't get tired of them as fast.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-19-05, 16:34
Beach Bum

Plan: da Beach looking for Sun
Stats: 250/229.5/163 Female 5ft 5in
BF:not/ahot/clue
Progress: 24%

I'm with the eggs. Chicken can also be cheap (depending on where you pick it up). I bought some today - Chicken legs with back attached 97c a pound (I live in Winnipeg). I also eat a lot of home made soup. It's a great way to use cheap cuts of meat and bones. I'll save the bones from the chicken and boil them for soup.

I also volunteer for Winnipeg Harvest (our local foodbank, I used to need their help so I am happy to be able to give back now) and while they don't have a lot for protein so I know what you mean, it might be worth asking for some additional protein since it is a medical issue to see if they can help. The worst answer is not being able to help.

When the weather improves (and I can't wait for that) farmer's markets are great for cheaper fresh veggies. In general my menu depends on what is in season. So I go to the store and decide what my meal plan is based on the prices. Yesterday I looked at the meat aisle and didn't like the prices and passed.

I also scour the shelves for discounted meats marked down to sell quickly. I find I can do quite well with those. I stock up on the canned variety when the price is right.

As for eggs I like making fritattas and adding what ever I fancy at the time. Last time I made a Mexican one using seasoned ground beef on the bottom. They are dead simple and freeze really well. Another cheap meal I make is shepards pie with ground beef on the bottom and pureed cauliflower on the top. You can also use shredded cabbage instead of pasta and make your own low carb pasta sauce. Zucchini boats are also great using hollowed out zucchini filled with ground beef. I think last time I made it I used a tomato based sauce. I hope these ideas spark some interest.

I will say the best thing is to prepare ahead but also to be flexible. So that you have lots of legal things to choose from yet be able to change what you are going to have, if something comes by that's a great deal. I also make an freeze ahead so I have my own versions of TV dinners or at least something easy to make for dinner.

To be honest once I got passed induction I ate a lot less. In the beginning it was quite scary and I thought I would go broke trying to stay on plan. I've been at this a year now and I believe I spend less eating better than I did with the old WOL. I don't buy the carbage and I don't eat the fast food junk. The treats are more expensive - but to some degree that's better so they stay treats and not part of the daily food plan.

If you would like some more help, feel free to visit my journal. We could exchange some low cost low carb recipes that can help us stay on plan without breaking the budget.

I hope my long rambling has helped,

Steph
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-19-05, 20:35
Round 2

Plan: RNY & LowCarb
Stats: 270/180/160 Female 5'10
BF:sz 24/sz16/sz8
Progress: 82%

Eggs, tuna & salad.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 08:02

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

Get eggs, bacon, chicken legs, hamburger and a bag of frozen broccoli (store brand) and a large can of green beans.

Don't know where you live, but here that would last you six days and cost about $20.