Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 17:42

Plan: Atkins/CAD/Now?
Stats: 216/210.5/110?? Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%
Unhappy Emotional Triggers Anyone?

I didn't think I had one, but today I realized I was wrong. Money is mine.

Going to Chicago was bad. I had $80.00 to take with me, to buy myself something while shopping. Right before we left my dog got sick and that was $60.00. That left me $20.00 to buy my sister a birthday gift. A lousy $20.00. Matt paid for everything, including buying me a sleep shirt at Victoria's Secret and a Harley Davidson Chicago t shirt. He easily had the money and taking the trip was for his reunion. He told be ahead of time that he had plenty of money and not to worry about it, that didn't really help though. I felt like a total loser the entire weekend and I ate like a pig.

I got paid on Friday, had all my bills figured out and had $200.00 left over to start my savings account to have spending money or emergency money for the summer. I was going to start my budget and finally try to save up some money for rainy days. Saturday my hard drive said 'failure imminent' so I bought a new hard drive. $80 bucks out of my savings gone. Monday I got a letter in the mail from the bank saying I bounced a check, they paid it and charged me $28.00. I made a $5 error but since I had no extra money last paycheck the account was down to nothing. This is twice in 30 days!!! To make things worse, Matt is on my checking account now and I'm deathly afraid that I've damaged his credit by bouncing checks. This morning I remembered I still owed $100.00 to my chiropractor. That has to come out of savings too. Savings is now $20.00. I also got a bill in the mail from my gyno, for services back in February that I thought were taken care of. Apparently my insurance is not paying for everything and I owe them $85.00. Monday my mechanic says my car is due for 60,000 mile maintainence, total cost $416.00. I have $25.00 for food and gas for two weeks and the remaining $20.00 of my savings. I could easily cry. So leaving for work I stop for a diet vanilla coke and nearly buy a huge chocolate frosted brownie. I talked myself out of it just barely but instead consoled myself with a huge slice of pizza. I promised myself that after Chicago I would get back on my Atkin's diet and get serious again. Well that hasn't really happened either. I'm so disgusted with myself for not being able to manage my money and be a responsible adult with my money, that I just don't want to do anything. I feel like a complete and utter failure! Here I am 30 and living paycheck to paycheck and barely making it most months. I pay my bills but I never have anything left over. I can't seem to master basic math to keep my check book balanced and I have no emergency cash. So to make myself 'feel better' I pig out on junk food.

I started getting lazy with my eating about a month ago when I bounced two checks in one day. And its gone downhill from there. I don't have the extra money to buy the supplements I was taking either. I just gave in to feeling helpless and out of control again... which reflected directly on my eating habits.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 18:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 176/174/130
BF:
Progress: 4%

I just logged on because I've had a row with my teenage daughter and couldn't sleep.

I appreciate how you feel I'm supposed to be an adult and cope with this but when it happens I just feel like comfort eating.

Just take a deep breath and give yourself a little space and time to get things into perspective I'm sure you'll sort your finances out given time and the support of your partner - let him help if he wants

Good luck, don't give up
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 19:22

Stats: 168/139/120
BF:36%/29%/18%
Progress: 60%
Default Oh, Hell Yes!!!

Emotional triggers are my specialty, lol. I figure, noone has the right to tell me if my emotions are wrong. As I learned in a third year psych/ethics class - no one can judge your emotions, they simply are. If my emotions make me want to eat, then it can't be my fault - right?

So I have had to really work on changing that way of thinking. It has taken a lot of work for me to stop blaming my eating behavior on my emotions and take control of the other issues that are prompting me to reach for the tortialla chips and salsa.

One of the biggest triggers I am still struggling with is loneliness and fatigue. If I am lonely, I am likely bored, and what better way to occupy my time than with FOOD!!! If I am tired, I can always say I don't have the energy to cook something healthy, and will reach for the Michelina's Alfredo Frozen Pasta. Now, when I am bored, I come here, which refocuses my attention to why I need to stick with my plan. I also will go for a walk or take my daughter outside for some playtime (which gets me away from the fridge).

If you can identify your triggers, you can make a plan to cope with them. I am not trying to trivialize your financial challenges ( Lord knows I have them too . Maybe try and speak to a financial or credit counsellor. Many states and provinces have financial counselling services that are provided for free. If you like, I can put you in touch with one.

Good luck & keep your chin up !
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 20:54

Plan: Atkins/CAD/Now?
Stats: 216/210.5/110?? Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%

I KNOW what I need to do.... but it seems I can't find the discipline to do it. Or something always comes up...which is what I'm trying to save FOR. But I can't get one jump ahead... but like you said now that I know what it is... I can try to fix them both.

I LOVE diet vanilla coke I'm a water hater who is trying hard to change my ways.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 20:57

Stats: 168/139/120
BF:36%/29%/18%
Progress: 60%
Default LOL

Another DVC addict ? Welcome to the club. Perhaps we should start a thread for those of us who can't get enough of the stuff.
It satisfies my sweet craving, fills me up, and the caffine gives me an extra little energy boost. Having said that - I know tha caffine is bad for me and the aspartame is not much better. so I have told myself that for every can of DVC that I drink - it must be preceeded by two 10 oz glasses of water ( and I hate water too).
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 21:21

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 283/238.0/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default FOR DAETHIAN

We all have money problems at one time or another, i agree with the other members u need to isolate your triggers, mine i think was feeling totally alone since my moms death, i ate morning noon and night and all crap, all the time, i was working as a travel rn which never really gave me a feeling of belonging. Well now im a staff nurse again, a little less money but i can do lots of o.t. last week i did 70 hours, the week before 60+, and this week again im doing 60, i also have some good friends here now, who i know truly care, dont give up, u can pm me anytime, and i will be your support if u want, also i was going up and down on my wt by about 6 lbs, so i went back on a very strick induction and whoosh down 8 lbs, i feel great, so if u need anything dont be shy, just write me

good luck girlie!!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 22:38

Plan: none right now
Stats: // Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 17%

I understand the money thing and how it affects a person. I tend to vary radically in my income, on a graph it would look like a large zigzag the last 20 years. I have had money problems so bad that someone giving me a postage stamp nearly made me cry, and then a couple years later drove a corporate luxury car as mine and made more income than I would have dreamed of.

I've never been particularly good with money, and I've nearly always worked in entrepreneurial firms, usually start-ups. Money is hard, minimal, sometimes late, work is long, stress is high, nature of the jobs. Then sometimes you make a lot. No risk, no glory, basically. Anyway, so I've spent a lot of my life being pitiful in the financial zone, and even now at the age of 38 I really suck at keeping a proper budget. This is mostly because my minimum bills exceed my income, so I end up paying what I have to and what is screaming loudest.

Living check to check--and with no guarantee of job continuance for sure--and it sucks. I know.

For whatever reason, that doesn't make me eat.

However, my father visiting and doing his Critical Disapproving Act can put me in the give-me-food mode in about 7 seconds flat!

So I guess it's a different trigger for everybody.

One thing to consider is that age really shouldn't matter. I know in a way it does. But finances are heavily dependent on a person's situation--not only job, but home and car and for that matter, even where you are living. Sometimes they're worse than usual, sometimes they are ok. It does not make YOU a personal failure, regardless of age, if your income isn't meeting the cost of living in your area.

I used to work 2 and 3 jobs regularly. When I wanted more money, it never occurred to me to scrimp, I just figured I needed to work more. A part time job might be good for you, if you have the energy. It doesn't have to be 20 hours, you can probably find something just one or two nights a week. I've done nearly every job imaginable since I was 15, and never been too proud to sweep the floor at a beauty parlor or sell cokes at a 7-11 or make posters for the blood bank or do data entry or reception work on weekends for a car lot or whatever, if I needed extra money. It was usually good experience, a little extra exercise, and the extra income, even if small, really helped.

PJ
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 07:53
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 160/154/140
BF:??
Progress: 30%

Boredom...does it every time
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 00:07
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

I'm fighting this battle every day too. All of us who have struggled with weight issues have other issues...it's just that simple. I have my triggers like everyone else...boredom, anger, fatigue.

What I keep reminding myself in my writings and even in signs around the house, is that the best way to break a bad habit it to replace it with a good one. Substitute the behavior until the triggers no longer elicit that response.

So when I'm bored now and sitting in my chair with the TV on...and I am primed for a dish of food...I have other things right next to me...my large ice water, my picture project, some crocheting, etc.

Whatever it takes to do something else. And to be content with that activity...with praise for the effort. It's hard... takes time...there are no easy answers. But there is lots of support here...maybe you can find some motivation and some techniques here that will help pull you into a better place.

Good luck,