Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 21:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/158/150 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 68%
Thumbs up Double Chocolate Gems - Sinfully good!

Double Chocolate Gems

My wife made the high carb version of these and made me try one (they're pretty small). They were quite good and when she told me the ingredient list and I realized I had low-carb substitutes for everything included, I decided to make a batch. The results were the best dessert I've made yet. The high carb version is at http://www.cooksrecipes.com/cookie/...ems_recipe.html if anyone cares.

1 cup sugar free chocolate

(I used Hershys 1-carb bars, in retrospect I would probably use unsweetened baking chocolate as it's much cheaper and just use more sweetener. You're going to melt this so don't worry about chopping it first)

1 cup sugar free chocolate, chopped

(OK the original recipe calls for semi-sweet mini chocolate chips but I have yet to find sugar free chocolate chips. I used Carbolite dark chocolate bars, and it turned out great. I do recommend using dark chocolate for the chips because it gives it a really rich chocolate flavor)

1 stick of butter
1/2 cup Sweetener (I use an Erythritol/Stevia blend - the original recipe called for 3/4 cup but they were too sweet for me)

2 large eggs
3/4 cup Almond flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Heat oven to 375°F. Melt 1 cup chocolate chips and butter in 1-quart saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally, until smooth (OK right I suppose you could, but seriously 1 minute in the microwave in a mixing bowl worked fine). Pour into medium bowl; cool 5 minutes. Add sugar and eggs to cooled chocolate; mix well. Gradually stir in flour. Stir in remaining chocolate chips and vanilla.

Place foil or paper mini muffin cups (1 1/4-inches wide at bottom) into mini muffin pans. Spoon chocolate mixture into each cup, filling 3/4 full. Bake for 10 to 13 minutes or until center is set. Cool completely.
Makes 3 dozen gems.

TIP: If you don’t have a mini muffin pan, use foil (NOT PAPER) mini muffin cups and place onto ungreased cookie sheet. Fill as directed. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes.

TIP: Foil mini muffin cups vary in size. Measure across the bottom of the cup to make sure you have the correct size for specified baking time.

TIP: Smaller mini muffin cups (1-inch wide at bottom) will yield 4 dozen gems. Bake as directed.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 17:58
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

How many of the hersheys bars did you use? I have some hersheys dark chocolate that could work, hmm. Maybe use unsweetened baking for the melting and the dark chocolate for the chips.