Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-30-21, 01:51

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 110/107/105 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 60%

I bought a multi with no iron and very low calcium. Still, it seems that everytime I take it, I get constipated. Has anyone else experienced this?
I want to take a multi.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-30-21, 20:05

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

To keep regular, I swallow a lot of psyllium husks, with a lot of water. You cant take that an hour before or two hours after taking vitamins, because they can absorb the nutrients and pass them out to your toilet.

If I don't take the psyllium, I have problems eliminating. I take 10-20 a day of these in divided doses with a lot of water. https://www.puritan.com/psyllium-54...s-500-mg-003244

It's the lowest price I've found. If you find lower, let me know.

I take vitamins, because I'm not getting the fruit and veggie nutrients that are supposed to be good for us..

I take Life Extension Mix at lef.com -- it's expensive, but I think worth it.

I had my semi-annual physical today, along with the results of a complete blood test a couple of weeks ago.

I'm 75, completely healthy, no problems at all, and the doc just said that I'm an easy patient.

I'm on no medications at all, zero prescription meds, so I'm doing something right.

I think the vitamins make up for the fruit and high starchy veggies I'm not eating.

I've taken multivitamins, since was a child -- even before I was low-carb. I'm a musician, and I never-ever missed a day of work due to sickness.

But that's just me. I could be just a lucky person. Or it could be the vitamins.

Bob
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-30-21, 21:43

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Try a different brand, with different fillers.

A friend can only tolerate gummy type vitamins. She discovered this by trial and error.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-31-21, 03:12
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I can't think of why a multi would do that. I don't really have any suggestions, and I'm not doubting you that it's happening, but ... is there anything else that changes when you start or stop the multi? I ask that because with me, my good habits and bad habits tend to travel in packs. If I'm on-the-ball with my supplements, I'm probably also paying more attention to diet and changing things. If I'm lazy/off-the-wagon with them, there are probably other changes, too. Maybe a different job schedule, food choices, sleep, seasons, etc. Just something to think about.

One thing you could do - and this is a work-around, not really a solution - is take some extra magnesium with the multi. A little excess Mg tends to, uh, move things along.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-22, 01:50

BF:

Thank you all. I now think it wasn't the multi. I think I was deficient in serotonin. Tryptophan and 5htp seem to be helping my constipation issues a lot.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-22, 05:55

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Excuse me for jumping into this thread, I seldom answer your questions because they are often on supplements I don’t know…MSM, 5htp, GBA, etc. In the 20 years here, I don’t know what you have tried before, but have you recently analyzed your diet to be sure your foods are supplying optimum nutrients? An intro article on nutrient density: https://optimisingnutrition.com/nut...101/#more-12093 After 10 years on a low carb diet, I found I have some micronutrient insufficiencies that only food, not supplements helped…maybe we get too complacent with the basics. Again, I don’t know what you have tried before to be sure your diet is nutrient dense….just an idea.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-22, 01:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Excuse me for jumping into this thread, I seldom answer your questions because they are often on supplements I don’t know…MSM, 5htp, GBA, etc. In the 20 years here, I don’t know what you have tried before, but have you recently analyzed your diet to be sure your foods are supplying optimum nutrients? An intro article on nutrient density: https://optimisingnutrition.com/nut...101/#more-12093 After 10 years on a low carb diet, I found I have some micronutrient insufficiencies that only food, not supplements helped…maybe we get too complacent with the basics. Again, I don’t know what you have tried before to be sure your diet is nutrient dense….just an idea.

I suppose its possible. In all honesty, I would be quite surprised if I have a nutrient deficiency. I literally consume more than 15 servings veggies per day along with plenty of fish and omega 3 fats.
I take supplements largely because our soils are depleted and our environment is toxic.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-22, 09:04

BF:

Being Keto, I'm not getting all the plant nutrients that I want, so I take multivitamins. The lef.com Life Extension Mix contains both vitamins and plant extracts.

It's difficult to stay under 20 grams of carbs per day and get enough fruit and veggies to provide you with optimum levels of their nutrients.

But Keto is the only thing that works for me. The rest of my family including parents and siblings are in the 300 pound club.

So I do what I need to do. Or what I think I need to do.

So far - so good. I got a clean bill of health from my last physical/bloodwork exam. At 75, zero meds, prescription or OTC. Do says I'm an 'easy patient'.

Bob
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-22, 10:32

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I don't take a multivitamin but I do track all my food in Cronometer and those nutrients for which I don't meet the RDA I supplement. I also have Cronometer linked to Marty Kendall's Nutrient Optimizer. Marty uses what he has determined to be optimal levels of nutrients as opposed to the minimum necessary levels which is what the RDA reflects. I am 73 and take no prescription or OTC drugs. I used to eat a keto diet but have switched to high protein low carb, but not as low as Keto. Of course none of this is a precise science but it seems to be working for me.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-22, 10:35

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Bob, you're a champ for maintaining your good health regime, while fighting your genes the whole time. There's no doubt in my mind that genetics has a LOT to do with our shape, size, and other features (tendency to accumulate fat, susceptibility to addiction, allergies maybe). It's a choice and a commitment to resist what we're stuck with.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-22, 23:43

BF:

Great job Bob and Jean! Keep up the wonderful healthy lifestyle.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-22, 12:13

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAGirl
I suppose its possible. In all honesty, I would be quite surprised if I have a nutrient deficiency. I literally consume more than 15 servings veggies per day along with plenty of fish and omega 3 fats.
I take supplements largely because our soils are depleted and our environment is toxic.

So, I'm coming from a carnivore standpoint here, which I realize isn't your thing. But, it's possible that your issue is with the veggies you're eating. 15 servings is a whole lotta veggies!

When I was starting low-carb Atkins in the late 1990s, I ate more veggies than ever in my entire life. And I became terribly constipated. I was downing fiber laxatives daily, and it only got worse and worse.

Whenever I cut way back on my veggies through the years, the constipation disappeared. Now that I'm carnivore, I have no issues. I poop 2 or 3 times a week, and am fine with that.

You can get all the nutrients you need from animal-sourced foods, even Vitamin C. It's something like a pound of meat per day provides all the Vitamin C you need. I've been doing this for 4 months (still a newbie), but others have done it for 10 years, 20 years, and beyond, and do not suffer from scurvy.

There's even evidence (you'd have to read up on Paul Saladino, Shawn Baker, Amber O'Hearn, and many others) that plant-based nutrients are not bio-available to humans and so we don't really get anything from them. Whether that's true or not, I'll leave to others who are smarter than me.

This is just a thought. You might just be getting too much fiber in your meals. As a test, you can cut it in half. Even at 7 servings per day, that's way more than most people eat.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-22, 13:38
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default 15 servings of vegetables every day?

Yes, It Is Possible to Eat Too Many Vegetables .. link to article

Quote:
The catch-all mantra “Eat better, not less!” is often paired with images of voluptuous and vegetable-filled plates — great heaps of greens, leaves, and cruciferous clusters of fiber-rich foods practically spill over the sides of their ceramic platters. But is loading up solely on vegetables really such a good idea?

No, it is not. In fact, it’s a really bad idea.

Eating too many vegetables could be just as unhealthy as eating not enough vegetables, just in a different way. All those health bloggers with plates composed solely of veggies and a drizzle of tahini are actually fostering some really unhealthy habits.

We all know what happens when you eat too much fat, too much sugar, or too much sodium. The effects, ranging from diabetes to heart disease, are practically shoved down our throats — much more so than any of those foods are actually shoved down our throats in the level of excess required to cause those drawbacks. But here’s why it’s possible to eat too many vegetables.

1. That’s, like, so much fiber

You’re supposed to have around 25 grams per day, according to the National Institutes of Health’s guidelines. A cup of vegetables (depending, of course, on the vegetable) contains 8 grams on average. Four cups of vegetables already puts you over the bar. To give you some reference, the average small bowl holds about three to four cups.

A large plateful is absolutely already more than your daily value.

That being said, it’s okay to eat more than your recommended daily value of fiber. The NIH guideline represents an ideal intake, not a maximum, and many people eat more than 25 grams of fiber a day without experiencing any consequences. The trouble happens when you far exceed the amount your stomach can handle — an uncomfortable experience that can result in digestive distress, gas, bloating, and severe constipation.

It can also cause nutrient deficiencies. When your stomach is so preoccupied trying to process all those plants, it doesn’t have any capacity to absorb the other nutrients you’re eating. Hence: deficiency. Too many vegetables could actually make your other food less healthy.

2. Your skin can turn orange. Like you hit the tanning bed and it went so wrong.

Many vegetables contain carotenoids — a compound found in orange plants that can be immensely helpful for the health of your eyesight. However, in excess the compound gets circulated through your blood and can end up showing on your skin. The discoloration is only temporary, and it’s not actually harmful — it’s just awkward.

3. There is a threshold beyond which vegetables are no longer good for you.

Your body can only process so much of the same nutrient at one time. Just like eating too many multivitamins doesn’t infinitely fill you with nutrients, neither does eating too many vegetables.

Where’s the sweet spot? According to results from a recent study, three to four servings of vegetables was deemed ideal. Any more than that, and the longevity benefits dissipated.

4. You’ll trick your brain into thinking you’re full when you need to eat more

Since your stomach will be filled to the brim with stems and leaves, you won’t have much room for the other types of foods you need to stay healthy. Without even realizing it, you could end up undereating some key nutrients such as protein, fats, and carbohydrates (all of which are kind of a big deal).

We could all stand to think about the bias we have in favor vegetables over all other food. Why is it that eating too many vegetables — a dietary habit with just as many health drawbacks as too much of any other food — is never shamed or looked down upon, but eating too much meat, dairy, or carbohydrates is?
(*note, I'm sure most of us here might disagree with the article regarding carbohydrates )

On the subject of supplements .. I agree with others that our food should meet the requirements for good health. However, I do take specific nutrients therapeutically, for personal health concerns. Supplements are not food substitutes. Fat-soluble vitamins and omega-3 supplements require adequate fat in the diet in order to be absorbed. They cannot substitute for eating actual fat.

I recall years ago there was a clinic-type diet being advertised, where clients had to get vitamins by injection because the diet was so low in fat that nutrients couldn't be absorbed from the digestive tract!

Yikes!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-22, 20:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Bob, you're a champ for maintaining your good health regime, while fighting your genes the whole time. There's no doubt in my mind that genetics has a LOT to do with our shape, size, and other features (tendency to accumulate fat, susceptibility to addiction, allergies maybe). It's a choice and a commitment to resist what we're stuck with.

Thanks for the kind worlds.

I figure I have to play the hand I was dealt. My parents died too soon due to obesity related diseases, and I saw that as a possible future for me.

It took a while to find Atkins Induction/Keto. I tried a few others first, and never got under 250, even when going hungry all day. So unless I get a reason to do otherwise, I'll stay keto. So far it's working.

I happen to enjoy being alive, and although some religions tell us there is an afterlife, this life is the proverbial bird in the hand.

I intend to ride this one as long and as joyfully as possible, and try to follow the general rules of most religions, so that when this life ends, IF I find out there is a happy hunting ground, that's where I'll probably end up. If not, I gave this existence the best shot I could.

So far keto seems to be working fine for me. No prescriptions and I rarely get sick. One 2-day cold every 15 years or so is it.

If this ever quits working, I'll search for something new.

We all have to play the hand we are dealt.

Bob
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jan-08-22, 04:38

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Yes, I take a multi-vitamin daily. I doubt I would get all my nutrients from food alone
simply a precaution
Following Dr Mike's advice, I take one with no iron