Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-30-07, 17:09

Plan: TBD/veg
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Talking Newbie here! Rec's for cookbooks?

Hi,

I used to low-carb (Atkin's) in 1998 and it was great--lost weight, felt good and all that.

Stopped low-carbing (kinda long story) and then became a veggie in 2004 (lacto ovo--would love to be vegan, but really not ready for that right now).

Anyway, I gained all the weight back (and then some) since I stopped low-carbing. I have issues with binging (used to be bulimic and now am a compulsive overeater). I had such good luck with low-carb before that I would like to try it again, but this time veggie.

So I'm wondering if anyone can recommend some books/cookbooks for veggie low-carb? Not vegan (I still eat eggs and dairy) and not over-the-top complicated (I am not a cook). Looking for quick, easy, inexpensive dishes for one (or two, and I can take the leftovers for lunch).

Any ideas?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-30-07, 17:55

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hi shedthings,
Your story almost mirrors mine exactly. Did lowcarbing a few years back as a meat-eater, lost 30 pounds, felt great and really curbed my binges, but due to a lack of planning for maintenance and personal issues, went off of lowcarbing and in the meantime, became a vegetarian. Amazingly, I did not gain all of my weight back, but only half of it (which is enough!) Now I'm back to lowcarbing but doing it the vegetarian way this time.

As for cookbooks, two that I've found helpful are Rose Eliot's "The Vegetarian Low Carb Diet" and Diane Schwartzbien's "The Schwartzbien Principle Vegetarian Cookbook". Eliot's book is more of a how-to book on lowcarbing the vegetarian way (worth the read, though the plan she outlines is a rip-off of Atkins) but she includes plenty of recipes that are very simple and also most are geared towards 1-2 servings, which, for someone like me who lives alone and cooks only for myself, is great.

The second one is more based on the SP plan, which is still considered lowcarb but allows things that most other LC plans don't (such as whole grains). But there are still plenty of useable recipes in it. Her Greek Salad is a staple of mine! The only thing missing from that cookbook is desserts - aparently, Schwartzbein at that time was very anti-artificial sweeteners though I've read that she's become less strict on that in her new plans.

Hope that helps!

Tam
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-30-07, 19:39

Plan: TBD/veg
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Thank you!

Wow--thanks Tam!

How long have you been doing LC veggie? Have you had any luck with weight-loss?

I posted an intro in the main intro section saying about the same thing I said here (wanted to try LC veggie) and so far I have received one response that wasn't very encouraging ("good luck with that" but not exactly in a supportive tone...lol).

I'm hoping that even though the weight loss might not be as fast as with meat, that it will still be possible...so I would love to hear your experiences.

Thanks again for your help!