Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-09, 10:52
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' annie
I usually stop supplementing with D when April arrives, I'll just stop earlier this year.

I much prefer the SUN form of vitamin D, it feels so very good!
But be aware you need FULL BODY PRONE sun exposure to make sufficient. 20minutes full body sun will raise 1000iu each 5minutes so 20minutes turning every 5 achieves 4000iu. Because it is a self limiting process further UVB applied to that pre vitamin d3 and any D3 near the surface turns it into suprasterols that are no use to the body at all.
So after 20mins further time is counterproductive. You need to go indoors/cover up allow time for the D3 to be absorbed and then have another full body session after an hour or so.

UVB only reaches the ground when your shadow is shorter than your height so you will not make vitamin d if your shadow is longer than you are tall so you can't use vitamin d as an excuse for nude dancing late afternoon or early evening.

If only 10% of your body surface is exposed then only 100iu every 5 mins is made. Outdoor workers in Omaha achieved only 2800iu from working daily outdoors and were insufficient in winter.

The older you are the less cholesterol in your skin and the less effective your skin is in making D3. Could be 40% less effective if over 60.

By all means reduce your summer intake to 2000iu/daily if you are also getting 20mins FULL BODY PRONE sun exposure but if you only expose 50% of you skin surface then you MUST get 2 x 20minute sessions separated by a period to allow for Vit d absorption as near to midday as possible.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-09, 11:06

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Although I am curious if the Dark Chocolate high-cocoa treats that so many people mention actually contain large amounts of magnesium and copper.

Interesting. I've heard that chocolate contains magnesium and manganese but I didn't know about copper. Many people with candida problems have an overload of copper; I wonder if chocolate contributes to the problem?
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-09, 11:10

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Food sources of magnesium

Magnesium is a vital component of a healthy human diet. Human magnesium deficiency (including conditions which show few overt symptoms) is relatively common, with only 32% of the United States meeting the RDA-DRI,[8] and has been implicated in the development of a number of human illnesses such as asthma, osteoporosis, and ADHD.[9]

Adult human bodies contain about 24 grams of magnesium, with 60% in the skeleton, 39% intracellular (20% in skeletal muscle), and 1% extracellular. Serum levels are typically 0.7 â€" 1.0 mmol/L. Serum magnesium levels may appear normal even in cases of underlying intracellular deficiency, although no known mechanism maintains a homeostatic level in the blood other than renal excretion of high blood levels. Intracellular magnesium is correlated with intracellular potassium.

Magnesium is absorbed in the gastrointestinal tract, with more absorbed when status is lower. In humans, magnesium appears to facilitate calcium absorption.

Low and high protein intake inhibit magnesium absorption, and other factors such as phosphate, phytate, and fat affect absorption.

Absorbed dietary magnesium is largely excreted through the urine, although most magnesium "administered orally" is excreted through the feces.[10] Magnesium status may be assessed roughly through serum and erythrocyte Mg concentrations and urinary and fecal excretion, but intravenous magnesium loading tests are likely the most accurate and practical in most people.[11] In these tests, magnesium is injected intravenously; a retention of 20% or more indicates deficiency.[12] Other nutrient deficiencies are identified through biomarkers, but none are established for magnesium.[13]

Spices, nuts, cereals, coffee, cocoa, tea, and vegetables (especially green leafy ones) are rich sources of magnesium. Observations of reduced dietary magnesium intake in modern Western countries as compared to earlier generations may be related to food refining and modern fertilizers which contain no magnesium.[10]

There are a number of magnesium dietary supplements available. Magnesium oxide, one of the most common because it has a high magnesium content per weight, has been reported to be the least bioavailable.[14][15] Magnesium citrate has been reported as more bioavailable than oxide or amino-acid chelate (glycinate) forms.[16]

Excess magnesium in the blood is freely filtered at the kidneys, and for this reason it is difficult to overdose on magnesium from dietary sources alone.[9] With supplements, overdose is possible, however, particularly in people with poor renal function; occasionally, with use of high cathartic doses of magnesium salts, severe hypermagnesemia has been reported to occur even without renal dysfunction.[17] Alcoholism can produce a magnesium deficiency which is easily reversed by oral or parenteral administration, depending on the degree of deficiency.[18]

http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cach...e=UTF-8&strip=1
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-09, 11:17

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
Interesting. I've heard that chocolate contains magnesium and manganese but I didn't know about copper. Many people with candida problems have an overload of copper; I wonder if chocolate contributes to the problem?

Sorry, I don't know. I read about it in reference to so many people taking very large doses of zinc, back in the 80s & early 90s when Zinc Lozenges became so popular.

Certainly, zinc is a critical nutrient, but I read that the result of SO much zinc was to induce a copper deficiency.

Evidentally, it's only in food sources, like oysters, which contain lots of BOTH zinc & copper, that both are absorbed.

But in supplements, they compete with oneanother.

OR SOMETHING.

AND, remember, who knows if what I read actually had any basis in FACT.

I gained alot of weight reading all about how I "should" be eating huge amounts of fruits & veggies and lots & lots of low-glycemic beans & legumes.

Talk about a high carb diet!! No wonder I gained so much.

Thank goodness for these forums -- there is very little info out there for the lay person about the benefits of LC-ing.

Ooops - forgot something.

There's lots of stuff online about the bioavailable of nutrients in cocoa, but apparently most of the good looking stuff is subscription, only.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ients+chocolate

Hmm.
  #50   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-09, 13:42

BF:

Quote:
Well, I'd be a little suspicious of information from the Mayo Clinic and the NIH. Can anyone provide a more low-carb friendly reference?

I found a great thread, entitled LEG CRAMPS in the newbies questions forum.

Check out reply no.11 by amandawood, who provides quotes from Fallon's book, NOURISHING TRADITIONS.

Here's a link to that messagethread:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=373094
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-09, 13:59

Yes, it's from Nourishing Traditions that I got the understanding that fat aids the absorption of minerals. I'd be much more suspicious of phytates (and oxalates) than of fat.
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-09, 15:19

BF:

Quote:
Yes, it's from Nourishing Traditions that I got the understanding that fat aids the absorption of minerals. I'd be much more suspicious of phytates (and oxalates) than of fat.

I will have to get ahold of that book, as there are so many fascinating postings which mention material from it.
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Mar-06-09, 06:56

BF:

Well, not much sleep. Up frequently all night long with polyuria. Must have lost a pound or two of water weight.

Years ago when I first started high dose D, I frequently had this happen, but evidentally polyuria is contingent upon having enough magnesium in the body.

Yesterday on two occasions I put one-half teaspoon of epsom salts into my woolen socks before putting on my shoes. Was fine all day until 6 when a huge wave of exhaustion hit me and I actually went to bed at 8 pm -- but didn't sleep very long at any one time, due to so many trips to the bathroom.

However, this type of attempt at magnesium supplementation didn't create diarrhea, and that's a first.
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Mar-06-09, 12:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson
But be aware you need FULL BODY PRONE sun exposure to make sufficient. 20minutes full body sun will raise 1000iu each 5minutes so 20minutes turning every 5 achieves 4000iu. Because it is a self limiting process further UVB applied to that pre vitamin d3 and any D3 near the surface turns it into suprasterols that are no use to the body at all.
So after 20mins further time is counterproductive. You need to go indoors/cover up allow time for the D3 to be absorbed and then have another full body session after an hour or so.

UVB only reaches the ground when your shadow is shorter than your height so you will not make vitamin d if your shadow is longer than you are tall so you can't use vitamin d as an excuse for nude dancing late afternoon or early evening.

If only 10% of your body surface is exposed then only 100iu every 5 mins is made. Outdoor workers in Omaha achieved only 2800iu from working daily outdoors and were insufficient in winter.

The older you are the less cholesterol in your skin and the less effective your skin is in making D3. Could be 40% less effective if over 60.

By all means reduce your summer intake to 2000iu/daily if you are also getting 20mins FULL BODY PRONE sun exposure but if you only expose 50% of you skin surface then you MUST get 2 x 20minute sessions separated by a period to allow for Vit d absorption as near to midday as possible.

I'm sure you're not expecting this as my reaction to your words, but frankly, this is the best explanation of why my health nose-dived after I quit smoking. I would only smoke outside, and I would only sit in the SUN when I smoked, unless it was raining or cloudy. Ten minutes here, ten minutes there, all day long, every single day.
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-09, 19:02

Plan: Mostly carnivory
Stats: 145/145/145 Male 5'11'' (feet and inches)
BF:
Progress: -20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawood
I always wonder about this business about calcification and have drawn the conclusion that we must be getting either too much calcium in our food, or we are not metabolizing it correctly (due to too little Vit D and magnesium, I guess, perhaps also potassium).
It is most likely the latter. I no longer think that too great of a calcium intake is the direct reason behind calcification. D will increase calcium absorption and increase the likelihood of calcification occurring, but it has been proposed that the calcification is not due to high D or high intakes of calcium, but instead an insufficiency of K2 (Price's previously elusive X-factor) which facilitates the binding of that calcium and chaperoning to the skeleton for deposition.

D will increase calcium and other mineral absorption, but it's K2 that shuttles/chaperones it, telling it where to go (out of soft tissues like arteries, heart, etc., and into bones and teeth - facilitating mineralization of the skeleton). And don't forget that vitamin A does in fact play a synergistic role with D and K2, protecting from toxicity of D and also playing a role in its activation.
  #56   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-09, 06:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/183/165 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 22%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayppers
It is most likely the latter. I no longer think that too great of a calcium intake is the direct reason behind calcification. D will increase calcium absorption and increase the likelihood of calcification occurring, but it has been proposed that the calcification is not due to high D or high intakes of calcium, but instead an insufficiency of K2 (Price's previously elusive X-factor) which facilitates the binding of that calcium and chaperoning to the skeleton for deposition.

D will increase calcium and other mineral absorption, but it's K2 that shuttles/chaperones it, telling it where to go (out of soft tissues like arteries, heart, etc., and into bones and teeth - facilitating mineralization of the skeleton). And don't forget that vitamin A does in fact play a synergistic role with D and K2, protecting from toxicity of D and also playing a role in its activation.

Sometimes this all seems so complicated. So if I want to supplement with 6,000 IU Vit D3, how much calcium, magnesium, Vit K and Vit A should I take to get everything in the right proportions?
  #57   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-09, 06:16

BF:

I take Vitamin K2 several times a month, it's a very expensive supplement, but works immediately to quell any sign of digestive upset.

I never knew that Vitamin D required simultaneous magnesium supplementation. I can't handle ANY form of magnesium, and so I am quitting Vitamin D, as obviously the strange symptoms which started up during the second year were because the Vit.D supplements obviously needed more magnesium than my body can handle.

I'd never read anywhere else that they apparently are synergynistic.

But I'm thankful that I found out that Vitamin D was provoking a severe magnesium deficiency in me, and a few others in my family who have supplemented for the same period of time and have shown similar symptoms in the same time frame as mine.
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-09, 09:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsrus
Sometimes this all seems so complicated. So if I want to supplement with 6,000 IU Vit D3, how much calcium, magnesium, Vit K and Vit A should I take to get everything in the right proportions?

It is complicated to supplement with isolated chemicals. That's why I try to get them from foods.

Last night I had a spoonful of tarama mixed with cod liver oil, and followed it up with a couple spoonfuls of ghee.

from http://www.westonaprice.org/motherlinda/roe.html
Quote:
Roe is a rich source of vitamins A and D, very long-chain fatty acids, and zinc.

This has always puzzled me, because nutrition information says 1 tablespoon contains only 1% RDA of Vitamin A and 1% zinc, and no Vitamin D. From what I understand, the missing Vitamin D figure is just because they don't test for it.

This is from a very long but fascinating article about Vitamin K2:
http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnu...vitamin-k2.html
Quote:
Precise values for the organ meats that would be richest in K2 are not available. The pancreas and salivary glands would be richest; reproductive organs, brains, cartilage and possibly kidneys would also be very rich; finally, bone would be richer than muscle meat.15,16,69 Analyses of fish eggs, which Price found to be rich in Activator X, are not available.

Commercial butter is only a moderate source of vitamin K2. After analyzing over 20,000 samples of butter sent to him from around the world, however, Price found that the Activator X concentration varied 50-fold. Vitamin K-rich cereal grasses, especially wheat grass, and alfalfa in a lush green state of growth produced the highest amounts of Activator X, but the soil in which the pasture was grown also profoundly influenced the quality of the butter.

Which reminds me that last night I also ate some grass-fed beef liver fried in ghee and some pig's feet, which have a lot of cartilage.

Reading this article makes me want to try sweetbreads (pancreas). By the way, does anyone know if tongue contains all or part of the salivary glands?

Last edited by capmikee : Wed, Mar-11-09 at 09:20.
  #59   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-09, 09:43
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
I never knew that Vitamin D required simultaneous magnesium supplementation.
What?!? Where did you hear that?

Frankly, I think people are getting a little too obsessive over mixing this and that. You don't need to eat Natto and a gallon of milk and take magnesium while sun-bathing.

I've been reading the Vitamin D council newsletter for quite awhile and I've never ever heard anything about having to combine a bunch of other supplements with D3.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Wed, Mar-11-09 at 09:48.
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-09, 10:01

Plan: Mostly carnivory
Stats: 145/145/145 Male 5'11'' (feet and inches)
BF:
Progress: -20%
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
You can get D3 from Cod Liver oil, but it's not recommended by D3 researchers because the high amounts of retinol in it can be toxic, cause bone loss, liver damage and also possibly blocks the D3 from getting used properly.
It this were true, then how was Weston Price able to record the resolution of bone loss and unhealed fractures in nutritionally malnourished children and other unhealthy subjects after providing them with nutrient dense foods and super-food supplements like high-vitamin cod liver oil and high-vitamin butter oil?

The cod liver oil supplied vitamin D to facilitate calcium absorption, but it also most likely contained significant amounts of natural vitamin A complex. Additionally, the butter oil also provided an excellent source of vitamin A and K2 (activator X), which have been proposed to play a synergistic role in the proper utilization of vitamin D and minerals from the diet.

I would guess that the vitamin A content of the meals and supplements provided to his subjects was higher than the vitamin D content, yet he consistently observed the same beneficial effects when providing the nutrition. If the blanket, isolated argument that vitamin A from animal sources is toxic and counteractive of the vitamin D provided by such nutrition, and causative of bone loss, then how was he able to measure increases in skeletal mineralization (and in certain cases complete mending of unset fractures) after applying such nutrition?