Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-09, 23:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 305.4/295.8/180 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Anyone know anything about CLA?

I was browsing in a health and fitness forum and I ran across a thread about CLA(Conjugated linoleic acid). They were saying that its really popular amongst people that are on a low-carb diet. It supposed to help boost metabolism, accelerate fat loss and and a host of other things. I am thinking about adding to my regimen. Anyone know anything about CLA or tried it?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-09, 10:58
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite24
I was browsing in a health and fitness forum and I ran across a thread about CLA (Conjugated linoleic acid). They were saying that its really popular amongst people that are on a low-carb diet. It supposed to help boost metabolism, accelerate fat loss and and a host of other things.

"Other things" is right, unfortunately. I also read about the supposed benefits (no double-blind and/or controlled studies prove them), which sounded great on the surface. Then I researched what medical literature there was, and discovered a positive link between intake and increased white blood cells (not good), and theoretical change in (I think it was) DNA. Enough red flags, anyway, to put the stuff on my definite 'no-no' list.

Lisa
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-09, 12:59

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

I tried the supps several times for long periods (more than a year) and I really think they made no difference.

There was a lot of talk about it in the forum back in 2002 - 2003, and as I remember, only one woman thought she got results from it.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 15:05

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

CLA is one of those things that you will be getting in your diet anyway if you eat butter made from the milk of cows who graze on grass (like the Irish butter, Kerrygold, which has a rich yellow colour), or if you eat meat from pasture-fed animals.

If you can get something from real unprocessed food, I would always try to get it that way. That said, I did start to take L-Carnitine to boost my fat metabolism and give my heart a boost, and I could swear, combined with CoQ10, that it has given me extra energy. But I am not sold on CLA as a righteous supplement either. I saw it the other day and it was also pretty dang expensive.

amanda
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 15:08
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 203/184/180 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 83%

I am going to give it a try tomorrow. 3.4 Grams of CLA every day for two months. I don't care so much for weight loss as I do care about getting rid of my belly.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 16:28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Jake
I am going to give it a try tomorrow. 3.4 Grams of CLA every day for two months. I don't care so much for weight loss as I do care about getting rid of my belly.

Yay - a guinea pig!

Seriously though - please take 'before' weight, pants size, and measurements and keep us informed about progress for better and (hopefully not) worse. Inquiring minds want to know!

Lisa
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 21:08
Registered Member

BF:

I will sacrifice my body to science. I will report to my awaiting public once a week.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-09, 14:13
Registered Member

BF:

I lost a 1/4 inch on my waist. No other measured losses. No weight loss.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-09, 18:43
Registered Member

Quote:
I lost a 1/4 inch on my waist. No other measured losses. No weight loss.

The zero weight loss is to be expected if you're eating/exercising (or not exercising) the same way. The 1/4 inch loss is small enough to be a coincidence. But if you lose another 1/4 inch next week... hmm.

Thanks for reporting in!

Lisa
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-09, 21:16
Registered Member

BF:

Sorry to say, I only took only half the proper dosage the prior week. The last 7 days I took the full 3.4 grams of CLA.

I lost 3/4 of a pound, 1/4 inch off my chest and 1/2 inch off my belly. Dents are starting to appear in my belly so something is happening.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-09, 21:29
Registered Member

Quote:
Sorry to say, I only took only half the proper dosage the prior week. The last 7 days I took the full 3.4 grams of CLA.

I lost 3/4 of a pound, 1/4 inch off my chest and 1/2 inch off my belly. Dents are starting to appear in my belly so something is happening.

Jake, this is a really impressive change in a short time. I'm looking forward to reading the next report. Due soon? [hint, hint]

Lisa
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-06-09, 17:37
Registered Member

BF:

Sorry for the lateness. I had a big week. The CLA seems to be really kicking in.

I lost 2 pounds, 1/2 inch off my chest and 1 inch off my belly and 1/4 inch off of my waist.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 13:35
Registered Member

BF:

During the last two weeks, I lost 1/2 of a pound, 1 inch off my chest and 1/2 inch off my belly and 1/4 off my hips.

The effects of CLA seem to be slowing down
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 14:18

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
During the last two weeks, I lost 1/2 of a pound, 1 inch off my chest and 1/2 inch off my belly and 1/4 off my hips.

The effects of CLA seem to be slowing down

But you're on Atkins? How do you know it's the CLA? Atkins (any low carb plan) is pretty effective.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 18:15
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
But you're on Atkins? How do you know it's the CLA? Atkins (any low carb plan) is pretty effective.

I really don't know, but CLA is supposed to decrease the number of fat cells in the body. So you lose in the places you need to lose the most.

This is what happened to me although the results are small. Would I recommend it to anyone else? I don't know.