Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-20, 09:10

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%
Default Will ketosis protect us from corona virus?

I remember reading an article here (probably posted by Demi) that I can't find again.

It stated something to the effect that when you are in ketosis (not just low carb) Gamma T cells are activated in your mucous membranes.

When you are not in ketosis they are suppressed.

If I remember correctly, these Gamma T cells protected us from viral attacks. If so, could it be a preventive for COVID-19?

Or am I remembering incorrectly and was it bacterial protection instead of viral protection?

If anyone knows, please chime in.

I do know that only time I caught a cold in the last 15 years was when I went off-plan in Vienna for one week (they are famous for desserts) and caught a bug on the airplane home. One day of runny nose, one day of a cough and then I was back to normal.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-20, 09:35

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I was thinking along these same lines, and found this:

Vitamin D or Flu Vaccine-Benefits over Adverse Effects

Key quote:

Quote:
Randomized clinical studies reported that vitamin D supplements in a daily-wise manner caused a significant risk reduction in acute respiratory tract viral infections and participants who were given vitamin D supplementations were half less infected with flu than those who were not given the vitamin. Hence, vitamin D3 supplementation may be advantageous when compared with flu vaccine especially when we put in consideration morbidities and complications...

I just ordered more D3/K2 so we are ready.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-20, 10:50

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Just from my own N=1, I seem to have a very good immunity response, as I'm rarely sick even when people all around me become sick. Can I attribute that to my WOE? I'd like to think so, so I will. My health improvements due to keto are obvious, so it goes to reason that improved protection from viruses and bacteria is just one of the many benefits. Can it continue to protect in a pandemic situation? We may well find out.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-20, 12:15

BF:

It's been years now since I've been taking supplemental D3, and within a few months my illness response changed. I would still catch things, but instead of being in pain, nauseated, etc; I would be very very tired.

Now last fall I really got sick with a stuffy nose which I handled, but it hung on and on until I got some codeine cough syrup to help me sleep from this stupid dry cough that wouldn't quit. I also discovered elderberry syrup; and I swear that actually made me feel better.

So I've got that (sugar free version) in stock too.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-20, 13:00

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Yes I see it on Iherb. It's even mentioned by brand name on webmd

For the flu: One tablespoon (15 mL) of a specific elderberry juice-containing syrup (Sambucol by Nature's Way) has been taken four times daily for 3-5 days. Also, a specific lozenge (ViraBLOC by HerbalScience) containing 175 mg of elderberry extract has been taken four times daily for 2 days. Also, one teaspoon (5 mL) of a product containing echinacea and elderberry (Echinaforce Hot Drink by A. Vogel Bioforce AG) mixed with 150 mL of hot water has been taken five times daily for 3 days then three times daily for 7 days.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-20, 14:44

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I take D, K and high dose multi vitamins. I figure since I'm not eating many fruit and veggies I'm missing the good they offer. By taking vitamin/mineral supplements, I'm getting some of the good things anyway.

Either it's helping, or I have expensive urine

Something is working, there are not many 73 year old people who are taking zero medications, prescription or otherwise.

Bob
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-29-20, 04:40

BF:

I have stress challenges and cortisol overproduction issues. I can use all the help I can get 😱

Iodine is known to help respiratory system, and I've done some thyroid support strategies. Expecting results of my first thyroid test soon.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-29-20, 16:46

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Iodine is known to help respiratory system, and I've done some thyroid support strategies. Expecting results of my first thyroid test soon.

Since reading so much about iodine here, I finally started taking it about a month ago & talked my husband into taking it, too. I'm actually looking forward to the next time I get blood tests & see if anything has changed. One change I do have is that my feet are finally warm. And that - believe me - is a real blessing!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-29-20, 17:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
One change I do have is that my feet are finally warm. And that - believe me - is a real blessing!

Wonderful!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-29-20, 18:21

BF:

It makes my feet warm too Bonnie!

WB, It also clears my lungs and if I have any congestion that won't cough out, it breaks it up and I cough it right out (dmi) Sometimes it makes me sneeze too which is OK. It's like it makes the body expel any mucus.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-29-20, 18:44
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Yes I see it on Iherb. It's even mentioned by brand name on webmd

For the flu: One tablespoon (15 mL) of a specific elderberry juice-containing syrup (Sambucol by Nature's Way) has been taken four times daily for 3-5 days. Also, a specific lozenge (ViraBLOC by HerbalScience) containing 175 mg of elderberry extract has been taken four times daily for 2 days. Also, one teaspoon (5 mL) of a product containing echinacea and elderberry (Echinaforce Hot Drink by A. Vogel Bioforce AG) mixed with 150 mL of hot water has been taken five times daily for 3 days then three times daily for 7 days.
Elderberry immediately resonated with me, even though I never really heard of it before. I ordered some sugar-free syrup and some capsules, but can you tell me more about your personal experience with it?
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Feb-29-20, 18:58

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
Elderberry immediately resonated with me, even though I never really heard of it before. I ordered some sugar-free syrup and some capsules, but can you tell me more about your personal experience with it?

Warebear knows about that. I haven't tried it yet.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Feb-29-20, 22:11

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Elderberry is often used in Europe for the flu and cold sx (and, apparently, in Israel). Elder has been a part of the European herbal medicine for centuries. I finally made my own syrup this year. It contains honey, but only a small amount per Tablespoon dose, so I'm OK with it. Honey is also a soothing help for coughs and sore throats. I've been taking a Tablespoonful most mornings for a couple of months. I did get cold symptoms about a week ago, came on fairly suddenly, and was pretty much gone after 4 days. I doubled the elderberry for that time. I can't say if the elderberry helped. I also upped my Vit C during that time, and have had a high Vit D level for 5 or 6 years. This was my first cold in about 18 months. I am back to taking 1 Tbls of the elderberry every morning, along with my other supplements, and will continue until the sniffle season is past.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Mar-01-20, 06:13

BF:

This past holiday season I had not a terrible time with the flu-thing. But I had a terrible time getting rid of it!

I got a miniscule amount of codeine cough syrup, but while it helped me sleep, it wasn't curing the dry cough that tormented me. But elderberry syrup, four times a day as the label directed for "intensity dose" did! I could tell and I hadn't changed anything else.

So now I'm a believer
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Mar-01-20, 07:29
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I don't remember when I had a cold, much less flu. My chief respiratory complaint has been seasonal allergies for many years now, Fall and Spring variety. Fall 2019 I didn't have any, and I'm hoping to avoid the suffering in 2020. After my morning walk, I'm using buffered saline to cleanse my nostrils, hoping to keep the pollen out.

Since I'm taking college courses now, I'm exposed to the general public. I want to do what I can to continue to stay healthy.

I believe the virus scare is being used to control our movements, but that's just me. Consider me paranoid.

Just in case, I'm finding all the natural tools I can and adding elderberry capsules to my morning supplements couldn't hurt.