Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 06:47
Registered Member

Plan: fsdfsdf
Stats: 34234/32423/3242 Female sfsdfsdf
BF:
Progress:
Default How to know if i am a vegaterian or not?

This question might sound alil bit strange to u, but i just want to know what makes u think u r a vegatarian? i mean when u eat meat or chicken.. what happens exactly? when i eat meat or chicken i feel a lil bit (sick) esp in my face! dose that mean iam a vegaterian and im not supposed to eat meat or chicken? cuz it only happens when i eat them...

my father is a vegaterian, he eats fish , beans and stuff like that...maybe im just like him or somethin?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 09:29

Plan: Atkins (Vegetarian)
Stats: 150/138/117 Female 4'10"
BF:Pregnant. Weight L
Progress: 36%

A person is not "born" a vegetarian, like you're born a girl or a boy or something. Vegetarianism is simply a way of eating, and it is a choice people (or their parents) make for either moral, or ethical, or religious, or health or cultural reasons. Just because you don't LIKE meat or chicken, or it makes you a little ill, does not in and of itself make you a vegetarian. Perhaps you are simply allergic to certain foods, or to certain chemicals used in the processing of those foods? Perhaps if you switched to organic meats you would not get the same reaction?

If you want to choose to become a vegetarian, then by all means, EDUCATE YOURSELF on the subject and consider it.

Following are a few definitions of the word "vegetarian." (see www.dictionary.com) As you might notice, even though a lot of people who eat chicken and fish CALL themselves "vegetarians," they ARE NOT in fact, vegetarians:

veg·e·tar·i·an (vj-tār-n)
n.One who practices vegetarianism.

vegetarian
Function: adjective
1 : of or relating to vegetarians
2 : consisting wholly of vegetables, fruits, and sometimes eggs or dairy products <a vegetarian diet>
Source: Merriam-Webster Medical Dictionary, © 2002 Merriam-Webster, Inc.

vegetarian
n : eater of fruits and grains and nuts; someone who eats no meat or fish or (often) any animal products
Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University

vegetarian\Veg`e*ta"ri*an\, n. One who holds that vegetables and fruits are the only proper food for man. Strict vegetarians eat no meat, eggs, or milk.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA,
Inc.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-23-04, 21:50

Plan: foodnetwork
Stats: 245/168/155 Female 70 inches
BF:21.6%
Progress: 86%

i feel people are born vegetarian, and through culture are taught to eat meat. i have a couple of friends who kids would not eat animals until they're were about 3 years old. after awhile i guess they felt forced to eat them.

just another opinion...
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-04, 21:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/156/126 Female 5ft 3.5in
BF:
Progress:
Question I think some people are born a veg

I think there are people born with vegetarian tendancies. My children would not eat meat at all. I would have had to open their jaws and literally make them chew it. Of course I never made them eat it and a little after that we all ate veg. So if you are reacting to those foods, take heed. Sometimes our bodies have their own wisdom. Judy
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-06, 19:37

Plan: Vegetarian low carb
Stats: 121.8/103.6/90 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

You know what they say: There are no stupid questions...only stupid people who ask them.

Just kidding, lol. If someone is a vegetarian, it means they CHOOSE not to eat meat. There are many reasons people might want to eliminate meat from their diet: moral, religious, or health reasons. Personally, I don't eat meat because I can't stand the thought of eating something that used to be alive. It doesn't seem right to me that an animal should have to die to feed me.

You can't be a vegetarian and not know it, because it is a conscious decision. Some people might have an allergy to certain meat products, but that does not mean they are vegetarian. It just means they're allergic to meat.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-26-06, 08:08

Plan: Atkins (vegetarian)
Stats: 135/106/100 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 83%

Your dad is a vegetarian that eats fish?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-06, 11:55

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvpudge
Your dad is a vegetarian that eats fish?

It's called "pesco vegetarian" and it's one type of practice. Not everyone or every culture or every religious practice considers fish to be 'meat.'
Catholics, for example, consider eating fish abstinence from meat, and meals containing fish to be meatless according to their religious practices.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-10, 11:04
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 180/165/155 Female 5' 11''
BF:
Progress:

Vegetarian to me is a person who chooses not to eat any animal flesh. A vegan is a person who chooses not to eat any animal flesh and any thing taken/made from an animial - eggs, milk, cheese, honey.

A person who eats fish is not a vegetarian they are a pescatarian.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-11, 11:10
Registered Member

Plan: ketosis
Stats: 197/177/127 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:

I have to agree that people aren't born vegetarian. It's a choice and for me the right choice!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-11, 11:17
Independent Thinker

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 198/186/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

You aren't born vegetarian. It's simply a food preference and a personal choice.

Many of us here can provide ample evidence that human bodies thrive on eating animals, and suffer when eliminating them from their diet, but that isn't what the OP asked. I suggest that the OP take the time to do some research on nutrition/food to understand food preferences, food groups, etc.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-11, 20:28
Registered Member

Plan: Wingin' it.
Stats: 257/240.0/130 Female 65 inches
BF:yes!
Progress: 13%
Smile

I think kisler had it right: 'Vegetarian to me is a person who chooses not to eat any animal flesh.'

If you choose to eat meat, you're not a vegetarian. If you eat meat and it makes you feel ill, don't eat it. And then, when a doctor says, 'Tell me about your eating habits,' you can truthfully say, 'I'm a vegetarian' because your diet does not include meat. But if you eat fish, then you would be a pescatarian.

There's more to being a vegetarian than just not eating meat. You have to be conscious of what it is you ARE eating and how it rounds out your diet, filling requirements.