Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 11:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 298/209/170 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default Anyone use Zyban?

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has used the Rx drug Zyban to quit smoking and if it helped with not putting the weight on? I have tried to quit so many times before and fell off the wagon. Now I'm concentrating on losing some weight but I want to eventually stop this nasty smoking habit as well. My big concern is putting on more weight!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 17:05
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins Like
Stats: 266.5/231/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:50.06%/42.96%/25%
Progress: 33%

I am on my 5th day of quitting a pack of 20 per day for 40 years - with Zyban - I have not gained any weight - nor have I lost. I have "cravings" but I drink water instead of eating. I figured that this is the best time to quit when I am strictly following Atkins - and exercising a lot. -- hope this works!

Last edited by Bjuba : Wed, Jan-28-04 at 17:07.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 17:12

BF:

Hi Bajuba,

Congrats on the 5 days. Are you doing with just the zyban or are you using the gum or patches. I am also a pack a day smoker for 27 years. I quit for over a year when I was pregnant but went back to it. Good luck to you!! I hope you don't gain any of the weight back.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 17:22
Contributing Member

I am just using Zyban - I was addicted to Nicotine - I inhaled right down to the bottom of my lungs - so the first three days were 'hell'. I do not think it would be a great idea for me to use other nico products because I may become addicted to them as well. I went to bed early so as not to be tempted in the evening. I drink a lot of water and take vit. C & E & B compound for stress.

I planned my quit by cutting down on smoking for three weeks prior to quit day - the last week I made myself smoke outside to limited the smoking cues from inside. This also forced me not to light up when the phone rang or when I was on the computer.

It is now the end of day five and it is getting better.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 22:41

BF:

Thank you so much, you have given me a lot of tips. I hope you don't mind if I check in with you from time to time to see how you are doing. I have not set a quit date but I want it to be soon. You are an inspiration!!

Lauri
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 23:31
Contributing Member

Your welcome to check in any time - use my journal - that is where we are supposed to talk one to one - I think.

good luck on setting your date - this time I was convinced I would make it - and that has helped so far.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 00:40

Stats: 221/215/140 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress:

Hi there,
I had great success using Zyban to quit smoking. The only thing to keep in mind is that it is a version of Wellbutrin, which is an anitdepressant. Wellbutrin is prescribed in doses of approx.75 to 150 mg. Zyban is the exact same drug in lower doses. If you are on an anit-depressant you'll need to discontinue it for a few weeks before taking Zyban. If you're not on an antidepressant then be aware of the side effects. They are'nt horrendous-to me, they were very mild- but my male friend Sandy took it and he flipped out. He is the MOST undepressed person in the world so maybe the fact that he was taking anti-depressants was a factor. He had a blackout and injured his shoulder quite badly one night. He still does'nt remember how. Talk to your doctor or get a prescription pill dictionary and look up both drugs.
All in all, I recommend it for short term help. It cuts off all of the cravings. For me at least. Good luck. Oh, and I did'nt gain an ounce and that was before I went on Atkins. Hope you have a good an experience as I did. Laura
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 19:29

Stats: 240/175/120 Female 165
BF:
Progress: 54%

My doctor refuses to prescribe Zyban... to anyone.

Actually none here will either.

they dont think its a good idea.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 07:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 203/159/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 76%

I want to give it a shot - just because I am weak - there I said it. I am weak. I get the jitters, cry at the drop of a hat, so dizzy after about 6 hours - I can't climb a ladder. I am a hysterical mess. Got the stage 2 patch on hoping it will help with the dizziness. Does Wellbutrin screw with your serotonin levels or what? I don't think anything will help with the cravings,,,,or will it?
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 09:59
Contributing Member

Hi Ricky - I am on Zyban and yes it helps a lot with the cravings - & evens out your emotional reaction to stuff. I do not think I could have quit without Zyban because quite frankly I did not really want to quit but the cost of purchasing Cig. was getting out of hand - over $8 per pack. With two people smoking it was very costly so DH & I quit at the same time.

I don't think it messes with serotonin levels in a bad way and Zyban is not addictive. My doc says that I should stay on it for three months - so I am more than 50% of the way -- I started using Zyban 2 weeks before I quit.

Time Smoke-Free: 35 days, 56 minutes and 30 seconds, Cigarettes NOT smoked: 701, Money Saved: $280.00 - $58 (for Zyban) = $222. (this is of course doubled as DH has quit as well)

Good luck -- by the way I did not gain any weight - I have actually lost a pound or two.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 11:42

Plan: 15% Carb 30% protein 55% Fat
Stats: 290/204/170 Male 68 inches
BF:43%/27.5%/15%
Progress: 72%

I have apathy and mild depression, and was a fairly heavy smoker. I had trouble with other antidepressants as they just made me hungry and tired. I went on Wellbutrin(same as Zyban) for reduced appetite, more energy, and to quit smoking. It worked very well and I have lost a good deal of weight since quitting, however, I'm still taking the wellbutrin(zyban) after stopping smoking so that may have something to do with it.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 06:25

Plan: atkins
Stats: 203/159/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 76%

So, bottom line is that the pills do not mess with your metabolism and for some it cuts the cravings? My husband has a RX for them but never went through with the whole thing. Am wearing patch - the middle one for light smokers - in the hopes it will take away the dizziness- edgeiness and downright hysterical feeling. I guess I call it hysterical because I feel out of control...even though I am I get up and do something, play music, anything to prevent myself from crying.
Help!!!!