Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-02-12, 03:20

Plan: my own
Stats: 231/190/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:
Default Running,weight loss and inch loss

Actually...no weight loss!

I have been losing weight, slowly for about 18 months and I have lost about 20kg. Recently I took up running, hoping to speed the weight loss. I was quite sad to see that it had stopped altogether since I started.

BUT! I have lost inches.

In fact quite a lot of inches ( I don't want to write them all out here, but they are on my blog if anyone is interested, here )

So here is the important thing. Over time I assume I will lose weight, but right now I am losing inches. And this is what is important, I think. After all I do not actually care what I weigh...I only care how big I am, and if I can fit into the next size down of jeans...

And since I have been running, I am smaller, even though I weigh the same.

So hang on in there, if you too find your weight loss stops when you start to exercise, just remember not to eat those carbs afterwards and I hope (please....) that after my body has adjusted to building muscle, it will start losing pounds again.

Auto
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-12, 21:58

Plan: HCG Diet
Stats: 215.5/191.1/155 Female 177cm
BF:Human twinkie
Progress: 40%

Hey Autodidact, congratulations for taking up running! I did once when I was younger and weighed 80kg, I don't know how much weight I lost at the time (I really wish I had weighed & measured!!).

I'm keen to do it again, I want these kilos GONE like ten years ago. However, I find when I'm running I get the worst pain down my shins. ONLY while running, once I stop I'm fine.

I think there must be something wrong with how I run, or maybe I'm just too heavy to do this yet? Then again you and I are about the same weight so I don't know anymore!

When you run, how do you posture yourself for comfort?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-12, 13:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/231/175 Male 72 inches
BF:265/231/175
Progress: 38%

The issue is shin splints, an inflammation of the tendons(?) near the shin.

Generally, it goes away with time.

Check elsewhere on how to reduce the issue.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-12, 14:04

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 160/130/116 Female 61 inches - 5ft 1"
BF:32.8/19/15
Progress: 68%

Same here, running loses me inches.
I use the gym 5-6 times a week anyway, but when I started running too it sure made a huge difference to my inch loss.
I used to get shin splints, but I got new trainers, specifically for running & for feet that lean outward (that's what I do apparently) and no more shin splints.