Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-11, 10:05

Plan: Paleo/Atkins/low cal
Stats: 232/148/135 Female 62
BF:a lot
Progress: 87%

I use the ellipticals at the gym and get the numb toe/pain in the big toe. I thought it was from my tennis shoes and I was going to buy a different pair to see if that cured it. Thanks for mentioning this! You saved me a pair of new shoes.

I love the elliptical, and I can get a good sweat going, but I really hate the foot pain. The pain can be enough to make me stop. Thanks for your post. I was thinking about buying one of these.

I did google it. And it happens a lot. Others said to:
1. move your feet every couple of cycles.
2. do cross training, where your speed and direction change every 5-7 minutes. Going backwards helps.
3. stand up straight and put your weight on your whole foot instead of the balls of your feet. Its better not to hang onto the machine as you tend to lean forward (and put your weight on the balls of your feet).
4. go do the treadmill/bike/wegihts after 20-30 minutes.
5. move your feet further out on the pedals.

I know my feet end up at the front of the pedal, up against the inside edge. I keep trying to pull them back to the center of pedal but it's hard for me. I have really short legs.

Last edited by bonechew : Mon, Oct-10-11 at 12:34.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Dec-31-11, 19:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 314/195/180 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 89%

Hi ladies....

First of all, I realize this is an old thread but I wanted to put in my two cents.

In my home gym I have the following equipment, (a lot of it, left over from the 80's):

Treadmill (proform brand, but even though it's cheap I've had good luck with it).

NordicTrak ski machine (this thing will work you to death and because of that i don't get on it too often. When I do it's probably the best workout in my gym).

Stairmaster (used to use this one a lot but with my current hip problem it's just not possible. I do really like the workout though).

Schwinn stationary bike (probably my most used piece of cardio equipment. I do a lot of road riding during the summer so this is a necessary piece of equipment for the winter months).

Soloflex whole body vibration platform ( this thing is great. If you don't know about whole body vibration do a google search or better yet go to soloflex.com and read all about it. I can't recommend this device enough. It has almost completely healed my chronic back problems and is helping greatly with my hip problem. Both injuries were brought on by my obsession with racquetball.)

And here is my absolute favorite piece of equipment: The soloflex muscle machine.
I have owned this piece since the early 1980's and use it every other day. It takes up very little space, (4' x 4'), and does everything that I need/want it to do. I can do leg press, dead lift, military lift, squats, pull ups, dips, bench press, donkey press, tricep press, curls, back of the neck press and about 10 - 15 other exercises. This weight machine uses special resistance bands that feel very natural. They also work you through the entire range of motion and the floating bar design has the feel of free weights.
Another great benefit of this machine is that you can use regular 1" plate weights on the bar as well as the bands which gives an even better feel. All in all it is the perfect machine that has a very nice "look" as well.

Assembly is literally one bolt and you are ready to go and to switch between exercises takes approximately 15 to 25 seconds which makes it great for circuit training.

Again, if you'd like to see what one of the machines looks like, go to Soloflex.com but I would not recommend paying the $1500.00 on their website. You can find these on Ebay or Craigslist for sometimes as low as $150.00 - $200.00.

Hope this helps someone who is looking for a good quality piece of equipment that really works.

Dave
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-12, 10:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/182/136 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Total flex gym

Hello, all
I've spent a painful amount of money on annual dues at the gym, and then not had the Energy after a long day's work. So I bought a home gym. It's brilliant. I can do everything I do at the gym barring the cardio, which I do on the eliptical. There's no excuse to not exercise
There's a video on youtube where a 12-year-old assembles one, although you only have to do the finishing touches as it's mainly assembled.
I do Abs, back, thighs, bun and arms, and I adjust the resistance by just hooking and unhooking the hook. Easily folds and stashes under à table, desk or bed.

http://www.thaneproducts.com/total-...-gym-equipment/
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-12, 14:16
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Having never done pilates, I bought an inexpensive pilates reformer for under $300. I'm actually enjoying it! Only had it a couple of weeks so far, but every time my muscles stop hurting from the last workout, I hit it again.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Mar-29-12, 05:16
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Clarks book
Stats: 252/238/140 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Nancy, I have just ordered a pilates machine from QVC, mostly because they are supposed to be helpful for painful backs. Since I put on the extra, extra weight I find it difficult to walk and distance before my legs turn to jelly, so walking without the weight should help get my legs moving again - well that is my theory (hope it works).