Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-07-16, 12:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 215/215/170 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress:
Default Kenneth Cooper - Cooper Points

I have started riding my Airdyne in earnest, for me. I am keeping track of what Kenneth Cooper developed, Cooper Points. It is a guideline, for me, about how much "conditioning" (minimum 15 and maximum 35) I take in a week. It gives me structure.

Has anyone else run across Dr. Cooper's point system? and if so, what exercise do you use? I use the Airdyne because it is easier on my body, and since the weather is foul, I can do it indoors.

Adio
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-07-16, 15:11

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi there. I don't recognize the Point System, but I know Dr. Cooper was a pioneer in the whole science of aerobic exercise. Perhaps he even coined the word "aerobic."

I'd be interested in hearing more about your experience with the Airdyne.

Best wishes.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-08-16, 08:56
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I will give you a heads up: Start Strong Finish Strong is his most up-to-date concerning his charts and point equivalent as well as his "New Aerobics" that came out in 1983
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-08-16, 09:31

Plan: IF dairy-free keto ish
Stats: 175/175/170 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 0%

The fact that he has a maximum points per week is cool --- seems we forgot that lesson over the years. Now we are swinging back around, with Sisson's concern over "chronic cardio" and information from Jamieson and others on training stroke volume.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-14-16, 09:15
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Cooper's research shows that 15 points a week increases life expectancy an average of 5 years (?), and 30-35 points a week ups it to 9 years (?). I know when he first started pushing aerobic exercise, people thought they could not get enough. So, yes, he put a ceiling on it.

As far as the Airdyne goes, I love it. I cannot jog due to lower back and hip birth defects, so the Airdyne has been a good choice for me, and you can pick one up on Craig's List or a garage sale pretty cheap. Plus, mine has been very reliable. If I work my endurance up to 30 minutes 3x a week on the Airdyne, with a workload of 3.0, it gets 35 points total.

It is just nice to be able to bend over and tie my shoes without sucking wind, and being able to be fit enough to enjoy life.

Here is the "old" chart that does not include the Airdyne rubric:

http://cooperaerobics.com/Downloads...nts-System.aspx
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-14-16, 09:47

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

I checked the "old" chart. Roughly speaking, I probably get 25 points in a week. That's weight training (I used Circuit) and step aerobics (I used aerobic dancing).

Could I have my five years NOW, please? I don't want them when I'm already 105.

Thanks for the interesting info.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-16, 11:30
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I am getting a good training effect from the 15-20 points I am picking up a week. I would like to work up to 30-35, but I am going to take my time.