Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-10, 11:24
Registered Member

Plan: LC - hi fat
Stats: 191/160/155 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Reults are in...really hi Cholesterol

Doing strict LC - hi fat for about 10/11 months. Lost 32 pounds! When in for basic cholesterol test on 12/22

TC=430
LDL=360
HDL=60
Tri=57

Doc freaked. Wanted me to change my diet and start drugs. I then did some research and determined I should have a VAP test done. Called back doc and he agreed to VAP test. VAP test done 12/31...

TC=417
LDL=333
HDL=60
Tri=86
LDL pattern type = Pattern A (about the middle of Pattern A) (Great!)

Doc didn't have much to say other than they are not familiar with the long term affects of this type of diet. He said, conventional wisdom would be to put me on meds. At this point, not going on meds, feel great. I exersise 3-4 days per week (treadmill, bout 45 minutes each).

Have started taking fish oil and actually starting to 'increase' fats via nuts and oils.

Suggestions and TIA
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-10, 11:43
Registered Member

Plan: Zero Carb / Warrior Diet
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:

I'd be weary of nuts and oils. Saturated fats are much better for you.

Good job on doing research and getting the VAP test. The longer you eat low carb, high fat, the lower your triglicerides should go. That is really the only number that counts.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-14-10, 10:08
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Glad you didn't freak out! The fish oil should help with the triglycerides, which aren't bad at all. Read the heart scan blog and what they do for high trigs, I think it's fish oil, maybe niacin if they're really bad. How is your vitamin D3 level? That's another important one.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-14-10, 12:29
Registered Member

Plan: LC - hi fat
Stats: 191/160/155 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress:

Where would I find vitamin D3 level listed Nancy? Would this be on my VAP somewhere? I'll check out the heartscan blog as suggested. Boy, getting a pretty good flamming about the total Cholesteral level from everyone. It's amazing if you're told a lie for so long (Cholesteral myth, bad for you) it doesn't seem to matter what kind of truth is revealed, most people just don't want to believe it. Thanks for the info Nancy
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-14-10, 16:07
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

It's not part of a standard cholesterol test, or even a VAP test. It's called 25(OH)D on the testing form. You should be at least 50-60 ng/ml for best results.

Consult this chart: http://www.grassrootshealth.org/_do...hart_101608.pdf