Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 11:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/134.5/120 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default Ways you maintain your weight

I have recently met my goal weight. Actually I have passed my goal weight and I am starting my new life of maintaining. I originally tried Atkins induction for a month and then went up in carbs and finally got the weight off with diet/exercise and now here I am. My question is what carbs are right to maintain? Recently I have been eating upwards of 200 carbs a day and I am still maintaining although I couldn't consider that "low carb" anymore right? I started eating malt o meal with splenda for breakfast, usually a chicken salad for lunch and supper just depends on what I am in the mood for, but my carbs have been getting up there without a gain, so I am wondering if keeping it lowish calorie and lower carb if that will work in the long term? I am not one of those people who can do large amounts of fat and calories without gaining, but I don't want to lose track of the damage carbs do as well. What is your plan?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 11:56

Plan: atkins '72 -now ketogenic
Stats: 260/181.4/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 65%

I am not at goal yet, but I do have a plan for when I approach goal, just before maintenance that basically involves insane tracking of carb/fat/protein by grams, and meticulous graphing. I haven't tracked since the beginning, but once I hit goal I'm not gonna be eating EXACTLY the same as for loss, so I'm gonna have to learn a new normal.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 12:19
Registered Member

BF:

Yeah, that is what seems to be a common problem for people doing low carb long term and of course I fear that. I hear people saying they are doing this for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th time etc. and I don't want to get that way of course. I am just wondering if it is a combo of fat and high carbs that cause the gain back? It seems if I have bits of good fat along with not too many carbs it is okay? But then I have been told you should never get up to 200 carbs a day. Who knows lol. I guess I will just trial and error and if I have more than a couple pound gain, I will rework.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 16:02

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

You add some carbs; seems fine. So you do it again... still okay!

This is very deceptive; I've wrestled with it twice. It seems like a bunch of pounds piles on practically overnight.

If the thought of cutting back seems distressing; you're probably eating too many carbs. I have trouble cutting back at first, but I stick with it and then the cravings go away.

At least, that's how it happened to me. I watch out for it now.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 16:23
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda1982
Yeah, that is what seems to be a common problem for people doing low carb long term and of course I fear that. I hear people saying they are doing this for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th time etc. and I don't want to get that way of course. I am just wondering if it is a combo of fat and high carbs that cause the gain back? It seems if I have bits of good fat along with not too many carbs it is okay? But then I have been told you should never get up to 200 carbs a day. Who knows lol. I guess I will just trial and error and if I have more than a couple pound gain, I will rework.

Congrats on making your goal!
Did you know that there is a maintenance section of this site?
There are many of us who will be happy to answer your questions.
In my experience, high fat coupled with 200 grams of carbs a day will cause gain. While I don't count carbs, I doubt that I eat 200 grams a day, more like 80-125.

Did you know that we have a maintenance weekly weighin...and you are invited to join us!

I've been maintaning my loss since 12/2005, so going on 7 yrs.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 18:32
Registered Member

BF:

Okay, I am slow lol... Where is the maintenance forum? I can't find it.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 18:43
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks!......
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 19:35
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda1982
Okay, I am slow lol... Where is the maintenance forum? I can't find it.

You're here now! Welcome!!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-12, 14:49

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi, Amanda. I've just posted my own thread on accountability, so you can take a look at that if you like.

I consider myself a successful long-time low-carb eater. But that hasn't prevented me from seriously falling off the program from time to time, as a little of this and a little of that becomes "Oh what the heck" in a hurry.

Most of the carbs I want to add back in are the very things I should avoid. For me, that would be crackers (proclaimed as healthy "whole grain") and nuts, which are actually allowed in moderation. From there, it's just a short trip to tortilla chips and cookies.

Losing the weight is only the babystep phase. Making good decisions day after day for a lifetime is the learning process. Talk about continuing education! Never a diploma in sight. But I expect to live a long time.

Best wishes.
Barb
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-12, 12:20

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

I climbed the carb ladder as described in DANDR to figure out what I can eat and the level of carbs I can handle without suffering from any symptoms or weight gain.

I probably average about 40-70 carbs per day. Sometimes maybe a bit more and other days less. I personally can not eat wheat, nor would I be able to maintain at 200 carbs. I think it is a very individual thing that each of us has to figure out for ourselves.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-12, 15:30

Plan: atkins
Stats: 447/190/230 Male 6
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by freckles
I climbed the carb ladder as described in DANDR to figure out what I can eat and the level of carbs I can handle without suffering from any symptoms or weight gain.

I probably average about 40-70 carbs per day. Sometimes maybe a bit more and other days less. I personally can not eat wheat, nor would I be able to maintain at 200 carbs. I think it is a very individual thing that each of us has to figure out for ourselves.
Hi Freckles....I follow your suggestions on ways to maintain...I am going to follow your lead when I get close to goal and need to think seriously abot maintaining..........