Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-08, 19:01
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 186/168/130 Female 5 feet five inches
BF:
Progress:
Default BFing questions?

Hello,
I am BFing my 4 month old. I was experiencing a low milk supply and then started thyroid medication to treat it. I heard hypothyroid can contribute to low milk supply. (my thyroid results were "normal" but was seeing a Dr who was willing to treat me because I had so many symptoms, cold, fatigue, inexplicable 75 lb weight gain during pregnancy w/out eating a lot, family history. he simply felt my neck and felt my thyroid was inflamed, tested my reflexes which were slower than normal and felt my cold hands and started treating me). I actually feel a lot better, and it may have helped my milk supply a bit. Anyway. I still had 30 lbs to lose and decided to go back on atkins after coming across this forum researching low carb diest and bfing. I did atkins before my wedding in 2004 and lost about 10 lbs, was 125 and felt awesome but just kind of let it go after time.

Anyway, now I am doing it again, and I want people to know, my mlk supply has improved. Also, I believe the quality of my milk is creamier. Whenever I have a bottle in the fridge, it used to separate and look mostly watery with a small layer of cream on the top. Now, it is much creamier and my baby is definitely getting pudgier (a good thing since he was a bit long nad lean before).

Anyhow- I am still not losing any weight.... does anyone have any advice. I heard people say they dont lose weight while bfing. please say it isnt so.... I love bfing , but I am not enjoying my weight at the moment....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-08, 22:18

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 212/181/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Are you getting enough dietary fat? You and baby need it right now, and I think a moderate low carb, as in trying not to eat simple carbs (flour and sugar) would be great for you, also a good prenatal vitamin. \

Other than that, good luck with breasfeeding!! Try for 6 months at least!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 08:39
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

yes, i think I am getting enough fat. it is hard not to with atkins.... plus I have recently added coconut oil to my diet....
i just eat it with a spoon, as someone told me it is better not to heat it up, to eat it as raw as possible. at firstit was pretty unpleasant, but now I enjoy that supplement...
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 18:38

BF:

Maybe you could post your diet or fitday log (fitday is great for keeping track, and it's free).
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-08, 12:11

Plan: atkins induction
Stats: 330/330/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

You CAN definitely low carb and breastfeed and lose easily. I just went back to LC on Jan 1 and have lost 9 lbs already and i am still breastfeeding my 8 mos old. The coconut oil daily is GREAT for your breastmilk!! It has lauric acid in it and the baby will utilize it. Also, eat HIGH FAT so your milk supply doesnt go down. Add lots of butter and cream and fatty meats to your diet..as you can see by the consistency of your breastmilk..you actually produce BETTER milk for the baby on low carb than by eating a bunch of junky carbs..good job mom!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-08, 09:56
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

yes, thank you so much - the difference in my milk is really astounding.... i def think low carb/high fat is the way my body functions optimally. I wish people like lactation consultants and the such were aware of the issue. Do you have any other tips on what are good things to add to the diet? I love guacamole/avocado, too but dont know how to add it without chips....
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-08, 16:34

Plan: atkins induction
Stats: 330/330/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:

i just eat avocado straight up..its yummy.

update..i lost 19 lbs in the past 12 days. i have NEVER lost that much that quickly even low carbing. i think breastfeeding is making me lose faster! lol
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-08, 12:37
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

oh my god - that is amazing!!!! congratulations!! what are you eating? I have actually lost 4 lbs over the past few days.... eating less cheese unfortunately.

have you started solids yet for your baby? what did you start with? I am not there yet, but read somewhere that some people dont do the typical rice cereal but instead do sometihng like avocado or even meats.... any thoiughts on that issue?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-08, 17:49

BF:

Personally, I won't start mine on rice cereal or teething biscuits. I did that with my first, and he just wanted carbs, carbs, carbs. Be careful with fruits, too--the baby develops a sweet tooth! I will be starting with vegetables and meat.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-08, 15:08
Hello

Plan: Modified Ketogenic
Stats: 182/180/145 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

I started mine with avocado and meat, ground up and mixed with a little bm. Then veggies, fruits and then brown rice. Then whatever we were eating, for the most part.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-08, 17:14

Plan: Generic LC
Stats: 212/157/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 71%

Natasha, ummm....... what exactley do you mean by BM......LOL.....
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-08, 19:54
Hello

Plan: Modified Ketogenic
Stats: 182/180/145 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandito
Natasha, ummm....... what exactley do you mean by BM......LOL.....

breastmilk!!
The other might not be too tasty!! Might turn 'em off of "solids" forever!!!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-08, 03:15

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 173.8/173.8/140 Female 5'7"
BF:jig/ggg/lee

first off - way to go on bf!! i breastfed my son for two years, and exclusively for the first 6 months...i ate "normally" the entire time, mostly fruits, veggies, lean meats, whole grains...and lost ALL my preg weight (28 lbs) in 8 weeks and another 20 lbs by the time i was done...i noticed that as he got older & ate more and more that i would lose more weight....they say you can burn 500 cals a day by bf, especially if they eat a lot (reece did, nursed 10+ times even when he was almost 2)....so keep your hopes up, the weight still might come off!!! i know that not everyone loses, but that majority do lose at least their preg. weight if they bf long enough...
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-08, 09:31
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Yes, he is almost 5 months, and I am very proud to say he has had nothing but BM so far. and he nurses frequently :-) it's cool though. I am aiming to nurse him for at least a year, then reevaluate... perhaps we will go longer. I really have no idea what to expect. When they are a year BM is about 50% of their diet? But I am not exactly losing the way I used to.... I am doing atkins pretty carefully and not losing much at all....perhaps a half pound a week.... it's def slow going. But I dont know if it is the thyroid problem or the lactating hormones... but whatever... it is worth it... he hasnt gotten sick yet, and I think it is due to teh bfing... !!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-08, 11:16

Plan: Evolving and learning
Stats: 226/144/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

I didn't start losing weight until DS was 7 months old. And I've lost 8lbs so far this month without changing much at all in my diet. I think some women's bodies just want to hang on to the fat for a while, to "protect" the milk.