Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-01-04, 00:05

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%
Question Glutamine: Could it be Stalling Me?

I have been taking 2 grams of L-Glutamine every day for a little more than a year....at the time I heard good things about it...that it can help build muscle and prevent fat loss....and also help stave off sugar cravings. But...I've been on such a long stall...bouncing back and forth in a five-six pound range....and can't seem to determine any major reason for this....except that I must have an incredibly challenged metabolism. It didn't dawn on me until just now when I read something about some people having trouble losing weight while taking glutamine...or that it knocked them out of ketosis. I always thought the glutamine would help....

Can someone help shed some light on this? I need to know if I should eliminate my glutamine....!!!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-01-04, 00:13

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

IMHO - 2 g is a teeny amount, and there is naturally occurring glutamine in many of the LC foods we eat. Bodybuilders take anywhere from 10 - 40 grams. It does, however, cause some water retention. People who use it hardcore will see a water drop of 2-6 lbs if they go off it for a week.

So... since everyone responds to things differently, there is only one way to find out. Go off it for 2-3 weeks. The first week, you may notice a lb or two loss - that's just water. If you see continued losses, maybe it was the glutamine.

Before you try that, however - how long is long, and are you seeing measurement changes or looser clothing? How much are you working out, etc.

Cheers!

Friday
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 13:38

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default I take 2g / day

after lunch, and after dinner, and I believe it helps me feel like I've eaten "enough."

My stalls have generally been the result of carb and calorie creep, and get broken when I get back to portion control or change my level of exercise.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 16:37

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

I've not noticed any weight difference while taking glutamine. Perhaps there are fillers in it? What does the label say? Sometimes a cheap/inferior product can cause bloating. I've had that happen. With creatine, I definitely retain water, you're supposed to. Try stopping the gluatamine like Friday said and see if it's the culprit. Are you still having cravings? If not, ditch the it anyhow unless you're lifting, it's expensive. I'd check more into what you're eating or not eating.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 02:22

BF:

The glutamine I take is powdered...from GNC...and I don't think it has any fillers. It is rather expensive...another reason I'm thinking of stopping.

I work two jobs; one has me up and down steps and inclines much of the day.....the other, I admit, isn't a lot of exercise...but on my times off I do a lot of walking. This is my main physical activity. I've had doctors tell me that I shouldn't do much else until I lose some weight...not only because of the excess weight but other health problems....asthma, varicose veins, a congenital foot problem, and a few others.

I've been stalled for....the better part of a year.....after having trouble getting started..(no weight loss the first month of the diet....) and the last 6 months I've seen no inch difference....I initially dropped a size...then nothing.

Back to glutamine...I think I'm going to experiment after my current supply is gone....and not buy any more for about a month just to see what happens.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-09-04, 17:13

BF:

Just a quick note: I haven't run out of glutamine yet...and I think my stall is BROKEN this week!!

Maybe the glutamine wasn't my problem after all......