Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: What Program and What is your loss???
Atkins- lost an average > 1 pound /week 104 46.22%
Atkins- lost an average <1 pound/week 41 18.22%
Carb. Addict - lost an average > 1 pound/week 9 4.00%
Carb.Addict - lost an average < 1 pound/week 5 2.22%
Protein Power-lost an average >1 pound/week 12 5.33%
Protein Power-lost an average < 1pound/week 6 2.67%
S. Somers- lost an average > 1 pound/week 2 0.89%
S. Somers -lost an average < 1 pound/week 0 0%
Schwartzbein- lost an average > 1 pound/week 5 2.22%
Schwartzbein -lost an average < 1 pound/week 2 0.89%
Other- please comment 29 12.89%
Nothing is working 10 4.44%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 05:42

Plan: atkins/No Dairy
Stats: 194/148/134
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default What Program? What Results?

Looking for results here:
Let us know your program and the results. I want to see if any of the programs stand out in results as opposed to popularity. Help us all out here.....
What program are you on and are you happy with the results.????
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 05:51

BF:

I follow Atkins primarily but use each of the other programs when it suits me. They all encourage low carb. I have lost an average less than 1 pound per week when I am not faithful to my program and an average of 1.5 pounds a week when I stick to a program (usually Atkins).
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 06:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins HIGHLY Modified
Stats: 247/195/135
BF:
Progress: 46%

I started as pure Atkins and then modified it to a keep it simple and yeast reducing. So I removed all dairy, fermented foods mushrooms etc... and cut WAY back on any carbs. So far I've found to lose I have to stay under 1800 kcal, and less than 15 g carbs.

I'm now in the process of introducing a second item to see if I'm sensitive to it hoping for a little more diversity than simply meat and a tiny bit of veg. But if not the meat and little veg is fine.
Jo
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 07:03

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Excellent weight loss combining modified Schwarzbein (fewer carbs than her plan) w/ plenty of cardio and weight training.

Lisa
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 08:08

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Protein Power for the first 3 months with an average 3 lbs a week and now BFL with an average of 2 lbs a week. The amount of scale weight is deceiving as I have gained lean muscle with BFL but the total has been around 68 lbs (scale weight) in 6 months.

I am very happy with my results - especially the ones I am getting now with BFL. While the scale has slowed down the inches are melting off and I have been able to increase carbs to around 80/90g a day.

I am sure you're going to get higher results for Atkins, Elly, simply because it can be a more carb restrictive program - specially with everyone staying on Induction well past 2 weeks.

Nat
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 08:41

BF:

Lisa.... I loved her book (Schwartzbein). Glad to see you have a plan that works so well for you. Love the idea of doing more weight training..... Saw was LC wrote about her mom or dad making cans of cement with a bar betwee (back in the 60's ) thot that was hilarious.... Thanks for sharing
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 08:44

BF:

Nat... I agree about the Atkins... I got my package for BFL yesterday..... Haven't come to taking the photo yet. Starting looking into the program in more detai. Certainly agree with the body fat thing..... Jeans looser....= LOOSING!!!!!! Last night I went to a 2nd hand shop for a few pants that are what I hope to be inbetween sizes..... It was encouranging to get into the next size down....
  #8   ^

Plan: Zone
Stats: 165/163/145
BF:
Progress: 10%
Smile CAD and happy!

I did CAD for the first time several years ago and lost about 2lbs per week for a total of 30lbs. I actually like that it came off "slowly" since I felt like I would keep it off that way. Afterall, I didn't GAIN it overnight! Kept the weight off no problem, until I stopped eating LC because of my crazy lifestyle and then guess what? Weight came back! Now starting over but still happy with CAD since I can have dinner with my skinny husband and we can eat the same foods!

-animaldoc
  #9   ^

BF:

Jo.... I have good luck introducing low glycemic foods..... Give it a try.....
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 10:13
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%
Lightbulb

I started with Protein Power phase 1, back in 2000 .. lost about 30 lbs in 7 months, so roughly one lb. a week. Since then, chronic health problems have interfered and things have slowed & yo-yo'd to average about ½ lb. per week.

I dropped the carbs back to Atkins' Induction level for quite a few months, with no appreciable difference in rate of loss for me in my particular situation. More recently, I've upped the carbs back to PP phase 1 level (25 - 30g ECC), but from vegetables, low-carb fruits and occasional legumes ONLY .. no grain products or Frankenfoods, and my body is very happy with this

Not sure if my pattern of loss is typical, but it seems to happen in "chunks" as Karen describes it. So I go for a stretch of weeks and weeks .. nil, nada, nuttin' happening. Then the scales creep down a couple lbs over the course of a week or so before plateauing yet again for a few weeks. It certainly has been a lesson in patience and tenacity for me. But I have no intention to EVER go back to eating high carbs again.

Doreen
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 10:23

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by misselly
Nat... I got my package for BFL yesterday..... Haven't come to taking the photo yet

Elly, be sure you check out the BFL forum - there are some useful resources in the Sticky at the top of the forum for planning workouts and finding exercise help.

Nat
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 11:21
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

I'm with Doreen.

PP was very good for and to me with a 50 lb. loss in about 6 months. Now the WOE has become a WOL and my eating choices are based upon low-carb principles. I never want to go back to being a carb addict. That's the bottom line for me.

Karen
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 13:05
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%

Hmmm ... that brings up another point. Many of us who've been low-carbing a long time are no longer following a rigid "program". It's not that we're breaking the rules, rather we've learned from experience what works, what doesn't ... and added a few things, possibly adapted from other programs, or eliminated otherwise "permitted" foods because experience has taught us certain foods may be fine for others, but not for us.

Before I knuckled down and decided to do Protein Power exactly as written ... I fiddled and diddled with a "homegrown" low-carb diet. I lost a few lbs, but nothing spectacular, then stalled out. And it was too tempting to cheat, and stray .. because there was no black and white GUIDE for me to follow, just a vague "cut back on carbs" mental rule.

I'm curious of the longterm success rate of low-carbers who start out not following a program and are just "doing their own thing".

Even though it's almost 2 years for me ... I do find it very grounding and comforting to return back to basics every now and then. Just do the program exactly as written and follow the menus in the book as a guide. It works wonders

Doreen
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 13:32
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

You're absolutely right Doreen! We need a starting point and we need to learn.

Soapbox on!

I always feel sorry for people who are not open to learning as part of the process. They're denying themselves a greater chance of successfully changing their way of life. And, I'm always amazed at people who think they can put their own plan together from heresay or just read parts of books and go from there. It's your well-being! Your fooling around with your brain and body chemistry! How much of a time investment is that worth to you?

From reading almost every post on this forum since it's inception, it never ends up being as simple as whatever low-carb diet = instant and sustained weight loss. We're fat for a bunch of different personal reasons and if we never learn anything new, we will stay fat!

Soapbox off!

Karen
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 13:01

BF:

wow.... alot of good points doreen
karen....you're the recipie lady.....what is in the atkins syrup????