Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-08, 14:44
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 230/220/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Need Help Starting Atkins Induction For Candida

Hi all,

I started induction last week, within 4 days I was in severe pain. I also had the runs and horrible cramping. I thought it might be a stomach bug or just the change in diet ... but have since learned I have Candida, or at least I'm pretty sure I do. I did the saliva test this morning and it reacted all 3 ways that indicate Candida.

Also, as soon as I ate bread and sweets, the cramping, pain and runs stopped. I felt much better within a day of eating the way I use to.

I'm off induction now ... and plan on going back on tomorrow. I've done much research of my own .. so far this is what I have:

I'll be eating only: turkey, chicken, some beef (steak), certain veggies, a few eggs here and there, butter, lots of water and a WEE bit of cream, along with Stevia here and there for a treat. Oh yes, and some cocoa for the cream on occasion.

I'm also going to buy Coconut Oil and start taking and using that.

I'm all ready taking a multivitamiin, C, B-complex, Omega-3 (salmon oil), CoQ-10. Need to add: Calcium/Magnesium and maybe potassium.

The reason I think I should use a bit of cream, is because I don't want to deprive myself completely and also thinking that I don't want to go into such rapid and deep 'kill off' as fast as I did before.

NO cheese in any form. Not sure about mayonnaise or salad dressing.

Does all that sound good, or is there other things I'm forgetting to add, or something I might want to think NOT to eat?

I want to do induction properly, but ... not so sure induction is even GOOD for me, with Candida, since the pain was so intense last time.

Suggestions? Ideas? Comments? Opened to all!

Thanks,
Diana

Last edited by diana55 : Tue, Jan-01-08 at 14:53.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-08, 21:22
Registered Member

BF:
Default Nobody???

Is there anybody who has any comments, suggestions, anything?

Hello out there!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-08, 00:30

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 212/181/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hi Diana,
That sounds pretty good. Sounds like you may have been experiencing die-off. Remember to start slow, and I know my supplements made me feel nauseous at first, so do give your body a chance to get used to things and don't give up. It can take quite a while to get better, depending on how sick you have been, etc.

HAppy New Year!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-08, 08:24
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you ALGTS

It's nice to have a response ... thought nobody ever came to this area of the forum.

I did start today ... 2 eggs fried in a bit of butter and a cup of green tea. Glad to be back to LC, I felt better (other than the die-off) when I was on ... just hope this time is easier.

Thing I'm not sure about is, do I do it differently? Do I continue to eat a certain food, so the die-off isn't as bad as the first time, or to make it a bit easier to deal with?

Any idea on that?

Happy New Year to you too!

Diana
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-08, 16:59

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 212/181/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 50%

That's why you want to start slow, such as with coconut oil. Start with less than a teaspoon and increase only every 5 days or so. You can't totally avoid die-off as far as I know, but you can lessen its severity by going slowly.

Good luck and stay in touch!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-08, 22:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/198.6/170 Female 67inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

welcome to low carbing. If you look on the page that lists all the topics, there is a section on low carb health and technical. Select the candida section. There is a ton and a half of stuff there. Click on the sticky at the top by Doreen, she lists many links, but if you scroll down a couple of post, a guy named Kent has post an extremely useful, user friendly link. I bet you find all your answers there

best of luck
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-08, 23:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 169/169/149 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

What is candida and the die off, sorry for my ignorance

Tania