Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-04, 15:55

Plan: My Own
Stats: 154/141/- Female 61.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default I'm sorry, but I am done with dieting, low carb or otherwise

I am done with dieting. Dieting of any kind. Any kind of external control applied to the act of eating is a form of a diet. I can't do it anymore. I am just so tired of it.

I am going to try to find a way to eat with attunement and trust my body. I believe this will lead to more permanent weight loss for me and more importantly, happiness.

This does NOT mean I am going to start pigging out on junk food. I am still going to strive for healthy, whole foods.

But I am done with thinking that I must deny myself any type of food forever (or even for a while). I believe I can find balance.

Good luck to all on this board. I sincerely wish you the best in your quests for health.

But I think it is time for me to try something different.

-J
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-04, 15:58

Plan: 20 per day
Stats: 235/205/160 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 40%

Best wishes to you. Hope you succeed.

Cissie
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-04, 15:58

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Good luck. I hope you find something that is both successful and something that you can live with.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-04, 16:00
Anyone?? Bueller?

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-04, 16:01

Plan: general lc
Stats: 165/000/140 Female 65 inches
BF:-?
Progress: 660%

I hope you are able to find something that works for you. I wish you all the best!!!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-04, 16:09
~version 2.0~

Stats: 186/173/145 Female 62 inches
BF:YES.
Progress: 32%

To Each their Own.... I really wish you nothing but luck in your journey
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-04, 16:10

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Sorry to see you go. Keep in touch and good luck in your future endeavours.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-04, 16:28

BF:

Oh wow, thanks everyone!

I really do wish all of you the best in doing what works for you.

I'll pop in from time to time, though, because I think there is so much useful health info here.

Thanks again!

-J
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-04, 22:23
Registered Member

Stats: 200/190/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

JPaleo, you have inspired me to have some of that half - A$$ed low carb orange juice but I am going to drink it with cashews.

Have you considered Frankenfoods?

Good luck to you. Truly.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-04, 22:59
Registered Member

Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaleo
I am done with dieting. Dieting of any kind. Any kind of external control applied to the act of eating is a form of a diet. I can't do it anymore. I am just so tired of it.

I am going to try to find a way to eat with attunement and trust my body. I believe this will lead to more permanent weight loss for me and more importantly, happiness.

This does NOT mean I am going to start pigging out on junk food. I am still going to strive for healthy, whole foods.

But I am done with thinking that I must deny myself any type of food forever (or even for a while). I believe I can find balance.

Good luck to all on this board. I sincerely wish you the best in your quests for health.

But I think it is time for me to try something different.

-J

Good luck J
I hope you are strong enough to succeed in this.
Personally I think this is the ultimate solution to weight problems... make smart choices and allow yourself everything... but too many find it impossible for various reasons. Especially those of us with eating disordered inclinations.

Don't be dismayed by any of the posts that are going to follow which try to guilt you into "clean induction" or whatever. I know you are doing the right thing. You know you are doing the right thing. Food isn't the problem. Our behavior is. Diets just obsfucate the real issue with more problems.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Dec-01-04, 08:47
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 315/274/175 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

good luck!
honestly, youre not super overweight so i think you probably can get away with making good decisions.
however (just a piece of advice that i have lived through) if you start to gain significant amounts of weight at any point, come back or do something, anything. i wish i had at 215 instead of at 320.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Dec-01-04, 09:55
fierce!

Plan: TGDW
Stats: -/-/- Female 64
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
Food isn't the problem. Our behavior is.

Woo, I usually enjoy your thoughtful posts, but this is a dangerously naive statement, not to mention incorrect.

Some people just have bad eating habits that a sensible diet can fix. For others food and emotions are inextribably intertwined. For still others, food is an addiction and just one taste of whatever-that-substance-is can turn them right back into binge eaters and on a sure way to disease and early death.

In my personal experience, I used to eat for any "emotional" reason: happy, sad, frustrated, angry. All was cause for celebration to eat. But when I stopped eating certain foods (flour and sugar), the addiction was lifted and my body felt satisfied and I was able to deal with those emotions and NOT eat. Food was firmly put in its rightful place: a source of energy (fuel) and, to some degree, pleasure.

I don't have an eating/emotional disorder. I have a physiological response to certain food types. Always have. Again, this is just me, but it is naive to make broad sweeping statements that food isn't the problem when for some of us it is just that.

JPaleo is doing something she feels is right for her, and I wish her the best of luck. "Trusting" my body did not work for me. I know a lot of people who gained weight reading the books by Geneen Roth.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Dec-01-04, 09:58
fierce!

Plan: TGDW
Stats: -/-/- Female 64
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
Diets just obsfucate the real issue with more problems.

By the way, the word, diet, comes from the greek word, diaita, meaning way of living.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Dec-01-04, 11:14

BF:

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

ItTheWoo, especially thanks for yours. I agree with everything you've said. I have also read some of your other posts and I enjoy them. I think you are onto something with your thoughts on dieting and compulsivity.

I know there are some people who have biochemical reactions to food. But I do think for many, diets are a problem (maybe THE problem). Even with the improved success rate of low carb diets, there is still such a high percentage of people failing. And for me, cutting out certain foods did nothing to curb my cravings or stop my emotional eating.

I've been gaining weight since trying to go low carb (I started low carbing for health, not weight loss, and instead wound up with a little weight problem). You can blame it on my not following the plan as well as I should but what that eventually comes down to is my unhealthy relationship with food (and it may even be an eating disorder). I just don't see what I eat as the problem anymore. I see how I approach eating as the problem.

-J
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Dec-01-04, 12:12
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Since you posted this in the War Zone, I'll assume this is up for debate...

I'm sorry you saw this as Another Diet. Those of us who go bonkers when it comes to sugar really aren't far off from addicts. We needed to wipe the slate clean, so to speak, on the bad eating habits we grew up with. Mine were atrocious. It's extremely difficult to re-learn something like eating, especially when the "normal" world is totally disfunctional about food. Unfortunately, that's what healthy eating is - not eating what everyone else is. The LC books I've read showed me the way.

I genuinely hope you're one of the very few people who can just randomly manage to eat healthily without effort, and I hope you don't get any interference from grains, sugar, and other foods that we didn't evolve to eat.