Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-19, 13:34

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%
Default Dieticians

I wanted to share this, because so many times it feels like low carbers are in an "us against the world" position.

I was told to see a dietician by my ob and my endocrinologist, now that I'm pregnant.
My endo is very supportive of my low carb diet, but wants me at about 100g per day (after subtracting fiber), as there is no long term research on keto pregnancies. At 100, I won't be in ketosis, but should be able to keep my blood sugar nice and low (pregnancy blood sugar goals are insane as a diabetic).

I was very anxious, as I have a master's in exercise science with a specialty in nutrition. During my program, I had to do a 7 day dietary analysis. A young professor who knew it all have me an F. I used loads of research to support my analysis that on a keto diet, my fat intake was not in fact too high, my carbohydrate was not inadequate, etc....she wouldn't budge and I had to escalate it to Dean. In the end, I was allowed to rewrite it for an A. I did and it was all bullshit.

ANyway, today I met my keto dietician. I was so anxious turning in my diet diary- I thought she would pick apart a million things- I ate edamame and tofu in one day! I needed more leafy greens on the first day!

She was so amazing, so helpful in ideas for where I have gaps (like b vitamins and iron). I left so empowered and excited to go back.

Granted i live in a very large city, but I found many dieticians offering online services. I would encourage anyone with specific concerns or who just wants some help to Google keto dieticians. Just make sure you go for a registered dietician (nutritionist is a made up title. It isn't regulated by any governing agency, so anyone can claim to be one. An RD has a master's and sat for a state run exam).
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-19, 13:45

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

This is encouraging. Glad you were able to connect to the right person. So often, dogma clouds the discussion that when you have a person who listens thoughtfully and helps to fill in the gaps, it's a rare experience. I have a couple physicians like that, and I'm a loyal patient.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-19, 14:41

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Im happy you found a safe person to work with. Obe you can trust and allay your concerns. This us not a time to be worried.

I lost over ten pounds in my last month. OB not worried. Because of my age, endless tests on the vaby. All was well. Baby very large, due to gestational diabetes. So good on you for a healthy baby.