Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-02, 08:44

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%
Question Different Depo Provera Issue

I have been on Depo Provera for 10 years. I have had no periods since I began taking Depo. My question/problem is, I am now almost through my second week of Atkins and I am now spotting. I got concerned and looked here in this forum for information and read all posts regarding TOM and depo. None of it answered my question or solved my problem.

Can lowcarbing combined with cardio throw my hormones so off balance that I GET my period as opposed to remaining NOT getting it???

Since I was concerned, I phoned my doctor, who of course said he had no idea, and come in for a check up. I did read here that losing fat causes you to lose estrogen. Which could explain this a bit....

Has anybody had this experience? Is this going to go away? Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-02, 09:07

Plan: Atkins induction AGAIN...
Stats: 242/197/199 Female 5'8.5"
BF:ALOT
Progress: 105%

The first time I was on Depo, I never spotted or bled once. This second time however, I bled for 2 months before it has now gone away. However, I am not convinced that when my TOM time comes around I will not spot a bit. Doing Atkins, my TOMs got so strong that I dreaded them more then ever before, this could just be it until your body is used to Atkins then it may go away.

Good luck.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-02, 10:35

Plan: Atkins mainly
Stats: 150/148/130
BF:
Progress: 10%

YES, doing Atkins and increasing exercise can definitely cause your hormones to be so out-of-wack that your periods will be affected, no matter what kind of birth control you are on (or even if you AREN'T on any). I am on the pill, not Depo, and I have been having regular, light periods for 7 years (while exercising)...never any spotting. But when I started Atkins, I had a whole period in between my regular periods, not just spotting...we're talking lots heavier than my normal. Your body should even-out and return to normal after 2 months on the diet...that's how long it may take to get adjusted. Doctors always want you to come in and get checked so they don't give misleading information and cause you to do further damage, but I find that just "stopping in for a checkup" is never that easy...it's a huge process just to make an appointment, take off work, and wait and wait and wait and then finally get to see the doctor for 5 minutes...I'd say give it about two or two and a half months and see if you are still spoting, then see your doctor for further testing if you aren't back to normal.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-02, 10:44

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%
Wink

Thanks for the info, it makes me feel a little better and more normal!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 22:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 239/208/135 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:don't go there!!!
Progress: 30%

Hi DarkLotus
I know it has been a while since you posted this but I had the exact same problem and was having a hard time finding an answer on this forum.
Glad I found this one!!
I have been on Depo for almost 15 months and had no problems until starting Atkins In late April-then I started to spot 3 wks before my shot was due and now again it is happening-My shot is due in 3 wks again.
It is annoying!! -I went on Depo to stop having a period -had bad ones and not planning on a family
I know all the side effects but have talked with my doctor about and she seems to think I was a perfect candidate for the shot.

I hope it is just this WOL and will eventually stop spotting.
thanks for posting this concern!!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 05:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/172/163 Female 69.5
BF:28.5%/25.3%/23%
Progress: 74%

We definitely store extra estrogen in our fat!! Losing fat releases extra estrogen, and gets things out of whack. Some have weird periods, some lose some hair. We have shocked our bodies by severely reducing carbs. And it should level off. If it doesn't some women have had success with NATRUAL progesterone cream, not the wild yam stuff. Here's a link for progesterone sources, http://www.johnleemd.com/resfornatpro.html

We talked about this extra estrogen a little on this thread, http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=126588 There are also threads on using progesterone cream.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by mariejoe : Mon, Aug-04-03 at 06:01.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 17:28

Plan: Atkins-ish :D
Stats: 210/205/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 8%

There was another thread about this, where it was mentioned..

I have been on Depo for 3 years and have not had my period until a couple months ago..(started Atkins maybe 4 months ago??) So Im blaming the spotting on the new WOL.. I spot like, every day, and its not heavy by any means, but.. its just kinda nasty that its even happening..

When I go to my new gyno at the end of the month Im going to find out about some other methods of birth control..(not pills or patches..) but more along the lines of MAYBE a new IUD thats been out for a couple years in the US and out for a lot longer in Europe called Mirena.. it slows down, lightens your period supposedly because it has some hormones in it, plus its an IUD.. better than the old Paragard (copper) IUD..
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 05:51

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/172/163 Female 69.5
BF:28.5%/25.3%/23%
Progress: 74%

I always thought an IUD was the way to go. Loved it . My problem, I wasn't very monogamous at the time, at all. Otherwise, it's the way to go. No extra hormones to mess you up.
I only got stupid and did synthetic hormones for HRT---WHAT A DISASTER. Loss of hair and sex drive.

Don't blame WOE, it is the extra estroen your burned fat is releasing. It's a bad side effect for a better WOE and WOL.