Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-01, 09:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 274/260/160
BF:
Progress:
Question Depo Provera--HELP Please!

I have been getting Depo Shots since last November. I would like to know what other women's experience's are with this and Low Carbing. Do they stall you?

Also, in this type of situation, will the stall break eventually in a week or two or must a different BC method be looked into?

LC

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-01, 09:42
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Lowcarber,

I'm not a woman, so I will leave this question to other members.

Just wanted to say welcome aboard. And with your chosen name, this is your home, LOL. Just don't sue us for using the LowCarber name, o.k.?

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-01, 09:55

BF:
Progress:
Default hi

Hi Wa'il

Thanks for the kind welcome! Actually LowCarber is what I go by on the newsgroup and was hoping it was not already taken by someone here!
I won't sue, I promise! LOL!

I have a million questions to ask and am hoping for tons of support and advice!

LC

#4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-01, 10:24

Plan: CKD
Stats: 245/215/130
BF:
Progress:
Question

Well I can't answer this...and I know I'm not doing this...cause I have no Ideal what they are!LOL

So tell me...

What are DEPO shots??

LRRAINE
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-01, 10:49

BF:
Progress:

Hi Rainny,

Depo Provera shots are birth control injections you get only 4 times a year. They work for three months at a time. They are projesteron(SP?I know I spelt that wrong..) injections.
I have had three so far. I have been low carbing on and off since February and I cannot lose more than 15 pounds no matter what I do???
I want to know if this could be the cause. I HAVE heard horror stories!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-01, 12:18

Plan: CKD
Stats: 245/215/130
BF:
Progress:
Lightbulb Ahhhhh

Well that explains why I didn't know what they where!ha! My hubby and I both had surgery to solve that! ha!...Before we met even!

Thanks for the info!!
LRRAINE
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-01, 07:58
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi LowCarber, welcome aboard

Depo Provera. Hmmm... probably the most effective hormonal contraceptive there is, something like 99.7% --- as opposed to the Pill, which is 97%.But this high-level protection, and convenience (no pills to forget to remember, no "interruptus" .. ) comes with a cost ... big cost.

Here's a list of adverse effects from Family Practise Notebook (Gynecology):

Adverse Effects
  • Spotting and breakthrough bleeding
  • Weight gain - Weight gain often exceeds 3 pounds
    Weight gain may be persistent and excessive
    Depo Provera may not be best option for obese patient
  • Future fertility concerns - Fertility returns 7-12 months after last Depo Provera. Infertility beyond 12 months should be evaluated
  • Adverse Lipid Effects - Lowers HDL (the "good" cholstrl) - Raises LDL (the "bad" cholstrl) and total cholesterol. No change in triglycerides. Avoid use in Coronary artery disease. Avoid use in Hyperlipidemia
  • Bone density - Decreased bone density with over 5 years Depo Provera. Bone changes may not be reversible. Careful with use in adolescents. Maximize daily calcium intake to 1500 mg
  • Headache
  • Libido change
  • Depressed mood
  • Alopecia (hair loss)
You might want to check out this Warnings and Precautions page at Rxlist. Apparently there is also some screw-up with glucose tolerance, and advise for caution with diabetes and blood sugar management.

Here's the official Depo-Provera webpage - http://www.depo-provera.com/ - check out the "prescribing information", it's in PDF format, so you need Adobe Reader to view it.

Here's an article about Depo being approved by the FDA, but if you scroll halfway down the page, there's an interesting section titled "The Next Steps".

Hope this helps, and maybe a scheduled appt. with your OB/Gyn is in order?? Have the questions written down, so you don't forget anything when you see her(him).

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-01, 19:04

Stats: 206/190/140 Female 5'3"1/2
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default I am having the opposite problem

I was on the pill when I started LC and in the first three weeks I lost 10lbs. I then read somewhere that the pill could cause wt gain and slow wt loss, so I stopped immediately. Now I can't seem to lose anything. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. It has been nearly 3 wks with no change in my inches or lbs. I know that it is not officially a stall until 5 wks or something, but I can't bear to wait that long to fix whatever problem that has me stalled. I am getting so discouraged. I have had the worst day today (cheating all day). I am going to start walking tonight to see if that works. I realized today how much easier it is to stick to this WOE when you are getting results and how easy it is to rationalize breaking the rules when you're not. Should I start a journal. If so how do you do it?

ANY IDEAS?
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-01, 12:40
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power/CKD
Stats: 183/173/135
BF:
Progress:

Angeleah, I feel your pain. I'm on my last series of Depo shots which I believe is stalling my weight loss (I lost 6 pounds in the first week and not much else since). Exercise may give your metabolism the kick in the *** that it needs. Walking is great, but try to add a little resistance exercise too (weights... but bike riding counts for the large muscle group). While I'm losing at a snail's pace (1/2 pound every 2-3 weeks), the exercise helps keep the stress down and I sleep better (both play a part in keeping me motivated). Plus, I'm accomplishing something (okay, it's not climbing Mt. Everest, but it may as well be)... my committment to a healthier me.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-01, 08:37

Plan: Atkins (kind of)
Stats: 235/228/135
BF:
Progress:

Thanks Doreen for the Depo tip. I read the literature, and was SHOCKED!! My Dr. didn't tell me that the average woman gained 16# in four yrs on it, and that it could cause glucose tolerance problems.

My husband and I decided to go off it now (I was due in two days for another shot.) I'll let you know how it works. I read that the hormones can stay around for up to 200 days, so it may well be Thanksgiving before I see a change.

Jeannie
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-01, 20:06

Plan: Don't know
Stats: 260.2/254.2/150 Female 68in
BF:
Progress: 5%

16lbs?
I watched a friend's sister go from a size 4 to a size 12 in a few months. She still looked ok (she was WAY too skinny before) but it was still shocking to see her gain 40+lbs so quickly. I think she's lost about 20 of that by now, btw, but I'm not sure if that because she got used to it, or because she stopped doing the shots.

Hi! I'm new btw
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-01, 21:16

Plan: Don't know
Stats: 260.2/254.2/150 Female 68in
BF:
Progress: 5%

16lbs?
I watched a friend's sister go from a size 4 to a size 12 in a few months. She still looked ok (she was WAY too skinny before) but it was still shocking to see her gain 40+lbs so quickly. I think she's lost about 20 of that by now, btw, but I'm not sure if that because she got used to it, or because she stopped doing the shots.

Hi! I'm new btw
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-01, 19:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins modified
Stats: 280//180
BF:
Progress:
Question How long does it take?

I was due for my next depo shot at the end of the month, but now, I'm going to avoid that. How long does it take after your last shot before you get 'normal' low carbing results?

--Kirkwood
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-01, 20:15
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi Kirkwood

I just checked the Depo-Provera.com website, from my post above ... and according to the prescribing information booklet, the level stays at a fairly constant peak in your system for about 3 weeks after the injection then begins to drop off ... the half-life is 50 days. But it can take anywhere from 120 to 200 days for it to be completely cleared from your body.

Lowcarbing should be helpful to avoid some of the longterm effects, such as the cholesterol problems.

Doreen
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Sep-15-01, 16:55
Registered Member

Stats: 285/270/130 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default My experience with Depo

I got my first Depo shot back in July - about the same time I started Atkins.

I haven't notice a problem with losing weight - I have lost about 40 lbs since then. However, I did stall once, but that could have been because of anything. I can only say that right now I am losing weight.

Good luck to you!
Loqui