Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-01, 20:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 219/219/175
BF:
Progress: 0%
Cool starting over

Hello

My name is Deborah and I am starting over again on Aitkins after being away a year .. it's been a heck of a year and I want to get back up and dust myself off .. from what I have read here already I know I have found just the people that will motivate and amaze me the most ... just wanted to say Hello from Ontario
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-01, 20:28

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default Hello

Hi and Welcome...there are several other members from Ontario.

Glad you found us, and you're right there's lots of support and advice here to help you.

Sounds like you're familiar with Atkins, so you know what you have to do.........this is a Way of Life, not just a short term diet.

Good luck.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-01, 23:59

Stats: 290/262/175
BF:
Progress: 24%

Welcome Deborah:

You have found a wonderful site here, full of delicious recipes and amazing research, not to mention supportive folks... good luck and keep in touch

Holly
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 08:54

Plan: mixture
Stats: ?/?/?
BF:
Progress:
Default hi

hi deborah

i live in ontario too and also i am trying to start again
although i retry at least every few weeks then get sidetracked
mostly by lowfat/accept yourself mantras--i know in my heart that the sugar starch thing is my problem -- i find it hard but i keep being pulled back--its more than weight loss for me it is also about mental clearness and fog/depression lifting
i have about 50 pounds i want to lose--i just cant accept the weight or tiredness or depression -- i have tried--what i mean is that i keep being torn back and forth between knowing carbs is really the big problem in my life but then reading the sort of
accept your fat/eat anything you want philosophies
(such as geneen roth's books)

this is the first time i have ever talked to people online about this
so i hope my thoughts come through clearly

where in ontario do you live
and have you had success before with this kind of dieting?

dianna
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 10:49

BF:

... hi dianna

I actually live in the niagara region in a city called welland about 20 minutes along side Niagara Falls .. I totally understood what you were saying and could hear myself in most of what you said ... maybe we can do this somewhat together seeing as it's not the easiest to do alone ... feel free to keep me up on how it's going for you ... and best of luck to both of us ... I am starting at 219 and heading for at least 180
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 23:21
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile

hi Deborah and Dianna, welcome to you both.

I'm in Ontari-ari-ari-o too, in the east near Kingston.

It doesn't happen overnight, but you slowly will come to see sugar and white flour, white rice etc as the non-food that it is. Actually, I sometimes think it's easier to accept that carbs are bad than it is to handle the notion that fat is GOOD. Even now, I find myself making breakfast, and I'll put some butter in the skillet for my eggs, and think to myself, "Gosh that's too much" and I'll take out some that hasn't melted yet and put it back in the butter dish. I make up for it though, and add extra olive oil or mayo to my salads ..

On the subject of Geneen Roth, her newest book "If You Eat At the Refrigerator, Pull Up a Chair" ... she actually says in one chapter ... if you want to get healthy and stay healthy, then eat more protein and cut out carbs. Of course I don't have the book sitting in front of me at the moment ... but I flipped when I read that!

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-01, 06:55

BF:
Smile Thanks !!! LARGE :)

.. you guys are a greater source of information than any and all the books I have read and I have READ !! This is exactly where I need to be and look forward to reading each night after the kids are in bed, dog has been walked, husband had been waved at and I have those precious 5 minutes before I have to go to bed to start it all over again the next day .... thank goodness for you guys
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-01, 06:58

Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 7%

Welcome to both of you,

I'm not from Ontario, but I think it is one of the most beautiful places I've seen. I've stopped and started, too--some of the same reasons. But I know this is what is best for my body, and now I'm just trying to counter some of my lowfat mentality with the information available around this forum. Have fun looking around and experimenting with this WOL.