Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-13, 11:17

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

I've gone for long periods w/o dairy especially during my vegetarian/vegan days.
Also tested it during LC/paleo.

I actually do better including it as it is easier for me to digest than meat.

I don't do a lot of mixing like cheese burgers and casseroles w meat/egg (although occ I'll make egg nog or a pancake)....I just eat a piece of cheese or use dairy in a vegie soup.
If I start eating all the proteins together, I'm not happy.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-13, 11:43

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

It's not just the carb count. What helps me is a high fat ratio (85% fat, 5% carb, 10% protein.) I do 20 flights of stairs a day, but no formal exercise. And I'm post menopausal.

Gluten free also helped. Eating only two big meals a day, no snacks. I did dairy free for years, with no effect on my weight, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be triggering something with you.

Also, there's thyroid, candida, and even stomach acid. I've started taking Beltaine HCL and I'm loving it!

There's always something more to try. And you can't know if it will help unless you try.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-13, 11:43

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Thanks for all the additional feedback. I'm still experimenting with the dairy free thing.

I'm having a lot of problems the last couple of days with mucus in my mouth and drainage down my throat. The year or so before I went low-carb, I had this problem with having these ropes or strings of mucus in my mouth. I'm not sure how to describe it. It went away on low-carb and hasn't been an issue since - no matter what experiment I was trying or even if I was cheating. Now it's back? Is this a coincidence?
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-13, 11:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I did dairy free for years, with no effect on my weight, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be triggering something with you.

I'm going to guess that butter and cream aren't a problem. I think I may have been getting more cheese that I'd realized. Plus I love ranch dressing. I think I'll just stay dairy-free for a while and see what happens.

I found this article this weekend: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/80/5/1246.long

It had this graph showing the rise in serum insulin after ingestion of various kinds of protein (the 'meals' included 25 g of carb and 18.2 g of the protein). The whey protein (represented by a circle) sent it highest. The next highest was milk (the solid circle with a line through it). Below that is cheese (open triangle). The square is cod.

So, the cheese isn't as bad as milk. But cod is better. For someone like me with a high basal insulin level, avoiding cheese might be a good idea.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-13, 14:14
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
It was hard for me to eat a high-fat diet without eating dairy, which was why I added heavy cream to the menu from time to time. I only attempted this diet for 25 days (weighing, measuring, and tracking every morsel along the way), but it seemed that dairy may have been increasing my appetite (driving high calorie intake a few times) and interfering with my ability to achieve and maintain ketosis, but I honestly wasn’t sure. I became confused and frustrated, so I took a break from my ketogenic diet experiment in early January, intending to try it again in the future without dairy.

She thinks dairy makes her insulin surge.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-13, 14:22

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

So you are completely dairy-free and still very low carb for about three days, and now you have the mucus? Mucin deficiency is a common side effect of going very low carb, explaining why the mucus decreased before, but haven't a clue why it would come back. Unless it is a "healing crisis"? Or an unrelated cold? Aren't our bodies interesting? Still suggest you go completely dairy free, even butter for now, and give it at least a month before challenging back some dairy.

Dr Cordain's lab and a human study by Dr. Hoppe have already measured the increased insulin response. Non-fat yogurt has a GI of 24, but an insulin index of 115. A high milk diet increased the insulin response by 100%. Similar results to the study you found.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-13, 15:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
She thinks dairy makes her insulin surge.

Thanks. I was consuming a lot of dairy - including tons of cream - during my high fat experiment. I was also hungry a lot. It was frustrating.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-13, 15:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
So you are completely dairy-free and still very low carb for about three days, and now you have the mucus?

I think it's closer to five days now. The mucus problem started yesterday.

Quote:
Dr Cordain's lab and a human study by Dr. Hoppe have already measured the increased insulin response. Non-fat yogurt has a GI of 24, but an insulin index of 115. A high milk diet increased the insulin response by 100%. Similar results to the study you found.

It would be interesting to see those numbers.

Is there any way - short of going to the doctor - of testing serum insulin? Something similar to the glucose or ketone meters?
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-13, 15:41

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

#25   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-13, 15:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100

Thanks.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-13, 15:58

BF:

I'm watching Dr. Ede's talk on vegetables (on the front page of her blog). I really like her. She seems sensible, low-key, and down to earth. I also like that she mentioned that, for example, if you look on the Internet for info on nightshades, you'll find people who have pain with nightshades, but there's nothing in the scientific literature about it. I love that she validates people's lived experience rather than discounting it because no scientist has (yet) found it in a study.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-13, 17:11
Experimenter

BF:

I read her 2/7 posting on Ketosis and had to ask her if she was me. We sound so similar in so many ways. She's also having a really hard time losing weight.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-13, 17:21

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I read her 2/7 posting on Ketosis and had to ask her if she was me. We sound so similar in so many ways. She's also having a really hard time losing weight.

I had a funny feeling that was you - maybe the name "Nancy" tipped me off. I feel like I've found our my first real paleo/LC role model and she's a doc, to boot!
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-13, 21:46
Experimenter

BF:

I'm very impressed with her writing!
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-13, 12:41

Plan: Primal+JUDDD
Stats: 168/163.2/140 Female 5'5''
BF:
Progress: 17%

I have a question... BUT isn't the dazzling appeal of Atkins that you CAN and cheese, cream and butter? I mean I see so many people on here have such amazing success eating those 3 things. Granted. I'm 168, dropped to 163.8 and now i'm up to 165. I myself and not having the success of this diet. BUT isn't the appeal to be able to have those options since you are cutting out sugar and carbs? I mean really tho... why does it work SO WELL for some and nothing for others? I'm not going to lie tho. I feel healthier and better in my skin... I really do! but I'm not losing weight like I see from others. I've have Jamie V. from "your lighter side" check my eating list.. I've cut out nuts. and if I ditch the small amount of cheese or cream I use I may as well be on one of those horrible diets I hate so much... right? Unless I just stop and enjoy my weight for what is it and just leave it alone.

I dunno!

I liked this thread tho.. good read.

sorry if im coming off as a downer... ugh! I just want the weight success like everyone else from having these things that seem to not be working for me! I'm been on this since mid January.