Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-14, 07:20

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Thanks, peace and Janet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Did the Dr Ede's diet result in no weight loss?

Yes, it did. I just went back and looked at my journal. My last weigh-in in the 200's was on August 29. I stayed in the 190's for the next two months. On October 23 I started Ede's diet. Three days later I went under 190 and stayed there until I relaxed my diet for the holidays - knowing if I didn't give myself permission to do so, I'd just blow it altogether. I drifted as high as 196 at Christmas time, and came back down to 190 in early January and have stayed there.
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-14, 09:00

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Based on what you say, it makes sense that dairy might increase hunger on a low carb diet (and do I recall you were consuming quite a bit of dairy - more than the 3 T of cream and 4 oz of cheese recommended in Atkins induction?). Dairy is known to be highly insulinogenic - that large rush of insulin could make your blood sugar drop - you'd be hungry and perhaps anxious as well.

You're making me want to give Dr Edes a try….

Congratulations on losing the weight, and managing it in a way that was right for you during the holiday season. You're on your way it sounds to learning to maintain for a lifetime. Can't wait to see your progress in the coming year.
  #153   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-14, 08:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
do I recall you were consuming quite a bit of dairy - more than the 3 T of cream and 4 oz of cheese recommended in Atkins induction?

Yes. Especially the cream.

Quote:
You're making me want to give Dr Edes a try….

Dr. Ede stresses that each person needs to figure out what works for herself. When I say I was doing Dr. Ede's diet, I literally mean I was doing the one she found works for her. I actually was eating less protein that she does. She aims for 80 grams. She also has a lot of food sensitivities which I don't, so I was eating a wider range of foods.

Quote:
Congratulations on losing the weight, and managing it in a way that was right for you during the holiday season. You're on your way it sounds to learning to maintain for a lifetime. Can't wait to see your progress in the coming year.

Thanks. I'm actually feeling like I may be able to lose more this year.
  #154   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-14, 07:51
Registered Member

Plan: low-carb
Stats: 194/152/150 Male 180cm
BF:
Progress: 95%

anyone here read "low carb fraud"?

maybe fat can indeed cures the obesity but in long run it may cause cancer and many other unknown side effects, I would suggest when you switch from obese to overweight, maybe less fat consumption and add in more greens in your meal, at least this is what I do, I am still skeptical and finding more variety materials to read, every thing has its ying and yang, good luck
  #155   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-14, 09:27
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Other medications that increase the risk for anemia are certain antibiotics, some antiseizure medications (phenytoin), immunosuppressive drugs (methotrexate, azathioprine), antiarrhythmic drugs (procainamide, quinidine), and anti-clotting drugs (aspirin, warfarin, clopidogrel, heparin).

http://www.nytimes.com/health/guide...mia/causes.html

You could have some micro-bleeding somewhere. Probably not diet related.
  #156   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-14, 09:31

Plan: AIP (autoimmune paleo)
Stats: 235/185/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Isnt that the book by T Colin Cambell, the author of the China Study?

I'm not impressed with his rigor and objectivity when looking at data, so while I'm quite willing to put the low carb diet up to heavy scrutiny, his opinion wouldn't count for much for me personally.

I eat tons of greens and veggies in general, as do quite a few (I dare say "most") low carbers.

Fat causing cancer? Big doubts from me on that one though...
  #157   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-14, 10:42

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

post removed

Last edited by Liz53 : Fri, Feb-07-14 at 07:59.
  #158   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-14, 14:19

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisMama
Fat causing cancer? Big doubts from me on that one though...

Trans-fat, sure. But natural fats? I don't see how, and I know of no such studies that aren't very flaky and correlational.
  #159   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-14, 14:58

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill2012
anyone here read "low carb fraud"?

maybe fat can indeed cures the obesity but in long run it may cause cancer and many other unknown side effects, I would suggest when you switch from obese to overweight, maybe less fat consumption and add in more greens in your meal, at least this is what I do, I am still skeptical and finding more variety materials to read, every thing has its ying and yang, good luck

Sure. When people lose weight, they need to go back to the low-fat diet that got them fat in the first place. Sorry, not the most brilliant plan ever. And you'll have to tell me who is not eating greens?
  #160   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-14, 22:24

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%

I need to go back and read this thread from the beginning. I haven't finished reading Wheat Belly yet. I had also considered cutting out the cream as I've been slowly gaining while being pretty consistently low carb. I was more looking at calories though. I used to drink coffee black. I started putting cream in it for the fat!! Of course, now I really like it! So, I will wean off the cream. )c:
  #161   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-14, 06:29

BF:

At the risk of causing more of a disruption to the thread, I'd like to ask that debates about the relative merits of plant-based versus animal-based diets be held elsewhere. There are plenty of other places on the site (and elsewhere!) for that kind of discussion. And provocative statements just belong in the War Zone IMO, not on a thread in which people with extremely challenging metabolic issues are struggling to find dietary solutions.

I don't know if my status as OP for this thread carries any weight at all, but if it does, I'm asking that all attempts to divert discussion be firmly ignored. Thank you.
  #162   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-14, 06:34
Registered Member

Plan: low-carb
Stats: 194/152/150 Male 180cm
BF:
Progress: 95%

edited for avoiding divert topic
  #163   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-14, 06:36

BF:

On Feb. 1, I returned to what I'm calling Dr. Ede's diet and defining as carbs > 30; protein about 80; fat where it needs to be for satiety. Diary-free, of course.

Characteristically I'm not happy because I'm only down 2.5 pounds so far. (I just had to poke fun at myself. Silly to be disappointed, but that was my reaction to the scale this morning.)

I'm also not happy that my FBG didn't take the immediate nose dive I was hoping for, but I don't think I'm far enough into ketosis yet. My blood ketones were 1.4 this morning.

I do have the insomnia I get with ketosis however. Something has to be done about that or this is not a long-term solution for me. I must have enough sleep. And I'm not one of those who can say, "Oh, I sleep less on low-carb, but I need less sleep." No, I still need the sleep.
  #164   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-14, 06:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill2012
edited for avoiding divert topic

Thank you, bill. I do appreciate that. It shows your advice was well-intended. If it makes you feel any better, I do manage to eat vegetables and still keep my carbs low. I'm one of those who feels better with vegetables in her diet.
  #165   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-14, 07:10

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Do you have trouble getting to sleep, or do you end up waking up in the middle of the night? I'm just wondering how you spread your carbs out--maybe eating them at dinner would help?

I've been memorizing poetry in between sets when I work out for over a year. Somehow the memorization seems to improve my focus working out, and the working out improves my focus on memorizing--either activity becomes more of a chore without the other. I started the memorization after reading some stuff about brain plasticity. One of my schizoid symptoms is a tendency to hear an echo when people speak--something with the same rhythm, often rhyming, often highly critical. I figured working the parts of my brain that process language might strengthen my brain's ability to properly process these things.

Recently, I've started reciting well-learned poems (not vocally) when I go to bed. Sort of like counting sheep. I seem to get to sleep faster, more reliably, since I started this. When I start having trouble focusing on a verse, I know I won't be awake much longer.

And it's hard to worry about stuff (like whether your ever going to be able to get to sleep).