Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-13, 12:37
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I was having the odd allergic hive sort of thing back before I expunged all gluten from my diet. It is possible that dairy or something else is causing that.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-13, 05:41

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Pinot-girl, it seems that you have figured out the dairy connection to your hives, assuming that you haven't added back gluten, or maybe overdoing some nuts?. There are other health benefits to fasting for 16 hours if you can do that using CO in coffee, and eating two larger, more lunch and dinner-like meals makes it easier to give up dairy heavy "breakfast" meals. Remove dairy from your first meal, make something with eggs and protein in advance and reheated if needed, or use dinner leftovers. The Whole30 website has much information how to do the program, and many other Paleo websites have Whole30 compliant recipes.
  #63   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-13, 15:37

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 160/149/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Pinot-girl, it seems that you have figured out the dairy connection to your hives, assuming that you haven't added back gluten, or maybe overdoing some nuts?. There are other health benefits to fasting for 16 hours if you can do that using CO in coffee, and eating two larger, more lunch and dinner-like meals makes it easier to give up dairy heavy "breakfast" meals. Remove dairy from your first meal, make something with eggs and protein in advance and reheated if needed, or use dinner leftovers. The Whole30 website has much information how to do the program, and many other Paleo websites have Whole30 compliant recipes.

Hi,
I eat salted peanuts of an evening most nights, not that many but not just a dozen either - somewhere in between. Thinking about it, I ate my normal brekkie of eggs / dairy and have not had hives, and last night after eating nuts I did.?? Interesting. I'll cut them out and see what happens.
I finished my cream cheese this morning, none left, and won't buy more. I will see how things go.
Thanks again,
PG!
  #64   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-13, 05:13

Peanuts are not a true nut, they are a legume. Beside the allergen potential of the peanut itself from the natural lectins in all legumes, they can easily be contaminated with mold (aflatoxin) and all manner of nasty stuff. It might be just be in the one container you have, but true tree nuts like almonds are safer.
http://whole9life.com/2009/12/peanut-manifesto/
And all nuts are way too easy to overeat; not good if trying to lose weight.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Feb-22-13 at 05:28.
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-13, 12:11

BF:

Quote:
Peanuts are not a true nut, they are a legume. Beside the allergen potential of the peanut itself from the natural lectins in all legumes, they can easily be contaminated with mold (aflatoxin) and all manner of nasty stuff. It might be just be in the one container you have, but true tree nuts like almonds are safer.
http://whole9life.com/2009/12/peanut-manifesto/
And all nuts are way too easy to overeat; not good if trying to lose weight.

Hey Jey100,

I do keep the nuts in an old container that I just re-fill, so perhaps I should look at that.

So, Friday was the last day I had my cheesy egg breakfast and for the weekend I had bolognese meat sauce I'd made as my breakfast (weird I know!) and this morning I had 2 hardboiled eggs with some butter. Today I'm hungry and it's only 10am whereas I'd normally go through the day without eating till tea / dinner time. I skied on Saturday all day (hard!) and had mac / cheese for lunch which I know is off plan but it's one meal off plan I do when I ski as I'm on the mountain all day, and going at it hard. Perhaps not ideal....!

I'm not feeling as bloated however since Friday, so that may be an indication and the hives I had been having last week have subsided. I've still had some greek yogurt most days, so it's interesting.....

I'm kinda therefore not convinced about the dairy thing but will do the rest of this week with a non cheesy breakfast and then maybe next week have it again, and if there is a radical difference in how I feel / hives, then I'll know.

Anyway - thought I'd update this thread, be keen to know how the others are finding cutting out dairy?!

PG!
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-13, 12:42

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Thanks for pulling up this thread, Pinot-Girl. I too was thinking I should check in. I gave up all dairy for three days. It was much easier than I anticipated, a non-event, really. That said, I had a doctor's appt last Wed that required me to fast till ~2pm. When I finally got home and had a cup of tea and breakfast, I wanted cream in my tea and cheese on my eggs, and I added them. Again, no big change.

I sort of stalled (a continuation of earlier stalling) while I was avoiding dairy, and since I added it back in, I've begun to lose again. I've decided if dairy makes any difference to my weight loss, it is slight at best and including dairy makes me a happier person.

Amongst the things I had blood tests for was insulin level which came in at low normal. This makes me think that the small amount of dairy foods I eat are not messing up my insulin levels. I'm glad I tried this, and may try it again if I stall later on, but I'm even more glad that, for now, giving up dairy did not make much of a difference.
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-13, 13:11
Experimenter

BF:

3 days doesn't seem like much of a trial. But good you're unstalled!
  #68   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-13, 13:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
3 days doesn't seem like much of a trial. But good you're unstalled!

I agree, but it seemed like those who saw a difference saw an immediate difference. I will definitely keep it in my arsenal for later use. If my insulin levels had come in high, I would have been more interested in its effect on them, and would probably be eliminating it again to see if it changed anything.
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-13, 13:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
Thanks for pulling up this thread, Pinot-Girl. I too was thinking I should check in. I gave up all dairy for three days. It was much easier than I anticipated, a non-event, really. That said, I had a doctor's appt last Wed that required me to fast till ~2pm. When I finally got home and had a cup of tea and breakfast, I wanted cream in my tea and cheese on my eggs, and I added them. Again, no big change.

I sort of stalled (a continuation of earlier stalling) while I was avoiding dairy, and since I added it back in, I've begun to lose again. I've decided if dairy makes any difference to my weight loss, it is slight at best and including dairy makes me a happier person.

Amongst the things I had blood tests for was insulin level which came in at low normal. This makes me think that the small amount of dairy foods I eat are not messing up my insulin levels. I'm glad I tried this, and may try it again if I stall later on, but I'm even more glad that, for now, giving up dairy did not make much of a difference.

Hey Liz53,

Interesting..... We seem also to have similar stats. Mine haven't been updated since before my Christmas vacation and I'm happy to say that I'm hovering back at the 148/147 lbs mark which is great. Ideally I'd like to hit 130 lbs but I have a suspicion that I won't / can't. I've never been skinny even when I was slim, so I'm of an age now where just to loose the belly and muffin tops would be great!!

I'm holding off my cheesy eggs till my next shop which is the w/end. I have not cut cream in my coffee or the bit of yogurt I do have, so it's not a complete elimination. Good / Bad, I'm not sure.

I am alot hungrier however which is not as good. I also noticed it's my TOM (come a bit early) so not sure how that affected me last week in respect to feeling bloated.

Will check back in again with any news.

PG!
  #70   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-13, 10:29

Dr. Briffra added a post that studies do not show dairy to be inflammatory. However, he sees dairy food intolerances in his practice and lists the items may be easier to tolerate.
http://www.drbriffa.com/2013/02/28/...tory-after-all/
  #71   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-13, 12:49

BF:

Quote:
Dr. Briffra added a post that studies do not show dairy to be inflammatory. However, he sees dairy food intolerances in his practice and lists the items may be easier to tolerate.
http://www.drbriffa.com/2013/02/28/...tory-after-all/

Hey Jey100,

That is an interesting article - thanks for the link!!

Things I've noticed this week after taking out my cheesy eggs for brekkie is:
increased tiredness
increased hunger
no overall decrease in bloated feeling (minor)
cheery positive attitude has subsided somewhat (could be TOM / could be because I'm tired and it's raining!!!)

So, I'm going to re-introduce my breakfast back after my next shop, and see if I experience any adverse effects, and will let y'all know!

I've still been consuming peanuts and greek yogurt, cream in my coffee and butter - not in significant amounts, but I have not cut dairy out altogether....
  #72   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-13, 16:44
Experimenter

BF:

Dr. Ede in her 4th week of her super ketosis diet has tried to add cream. Her ketones went way down, her BG went up. It sure looks like it spiked something for her.

http://diagnosisdiet.com/ketosis-week-4/
  #73   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-13, 18:37

Quote:
Dr. Ede in her 4th week of her super ketosis diet has tried to add cream. Her ketones went way down, her BG went up. It sure looks like it spiked something for her.

Yes, but the dose makes the poison. I quote from Dr. Eade's blogpost http://diagnosisdiet.com/ketosis-week-4/:

Quote:
Notes: My tablespoon measure must be very inaccurate, because I was measuring out cream in tablespoons and had calculated I’d need 9.5 tablespoons of cream to bring my total fat grams today to approximately the same as yesterday. However, by the time I got to 9.5 tablespoons, the pint of cream I’d bought was practically empty, and a pint contains 16 tablespoons…oops…so I overshot my fat/calories today and this may affect the experiment.

In my world, 1 pint of cream contains 32 Tablespoons. I drink between 1 and 2 tablespoons of cream per day. Like most foods, the amount of cream (and therefore number of carbs) is going to be a factor in blood glucose and insulin response. Even Atkins recommends an upper limit on cream.

EDIT: even if she got a pint and half-pint mixed up (which is my guess upon reflection), that's still a lot of cream for one day! 1/2 pint = 1 cup = 16 T.

Last edited by Liz53 : Thu, Feb-28-13 at 20:42.
  #74   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-13, 22:05
Experimenter

BF:

"A pint's a pound the whole world round." As my mother used to say. So a half-pint would be 8 oz. But yes, that is still a lot.

A quart is 32 oz.
  #75   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-13, 06:30

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:

Interesting. Thanks. I'll have a look.

I consumed a lot of cream (and other dairy) during my high ketosis experiment. I was able to get into deep ketosis and stay there easily. Also, during this dairy-free experiment, I'm disappointed with my BG. But... right now I'm very happy with the experiment over all. It's only three weeks, so I'm not ready to declare it a success yet. I wanted to stay with it at least four weeks, and at this point I'm thinking I'll extend it another four weeks past that.

So far I've lost 10 pounds (keeping in mind that going into this experiment, I was badly off plan so some of that might have come off just going back to low carb, including dairy; but compare that with the 2 months of hard work it took to take off 10 pounds on the high fat diet, and I kept that 10 pounds off for a few days, then I started gaining again).

I feel good (i.e., not bad, not hungry - like I did with high fat). I'm sleeping well, and my mood is decent (again, unlike my experience on high fat).

At this point my feeling is this diet is sustainable long-term, and it's taking weight off. I'd like to see if the weight continues to drop and what happens to my FBG in the coming weeks.