Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#271   ^
Old Sat, Sep-05-20, 07:08

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
An annual Europe Obesity Conference is being held virtually, and a number of studies on Obesity and CoVid are in the press. This one gets to the why:

Overlap between immunology of COVID and obesity could explain the increased risk of death in people living with obesity

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020...sity-death.html

What am I missing? As far as I could tell, they're still blaming the obesity in and of itself for causing the diabetes, HBP, inflammation, etc, and ultimately the cytokine storm in those who contract the virus. (even though that doesn't begin to explain those who are healthy, very active, normal weight, young, with no co-morbidities at all - and yet succumb to the virus within days of contracting it)

Quote:
Clearly, obesity prevention and continuous obesity management are crucial during the COVID-19 pandemic."

This is true - and yet I didn't see anything about HOW they intend to prevent obesity, or manage obesity, and that's the real crux of the problem. The current conventional wisdom says to cut calories extremely low, primarily by eliminating dietary fat as much as possible, and seriously limiting protein, which is not a recipe for improving health and resistance to illness, even if it results in some weight loss.

Trying to prevent and control obesity means they need to get to the reason why so many more people than ever before are obese: that stupid food pyramid/my plate that has pushed people to eating mostly carbs, not getting nearly enough protein, and limiting fat intake to inflammatory seed oils. This is a problem that is only exacerbated by the processed food industry, which would have you believe that eating Lean Cuisines or Smart Ones constitutes a truly balanced diet, and with such low calories, you can also have a reward of some fat free cookies or fat free cake (sweetened with fruit juice concentrate and dried fruit paste, because that's not sugar, that's just healthy fruit!)
Sponsored Links
  #272   ^
Old Sat, Sep-05-20, 12:26

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna

This is true - and yet I didn't see anything about HOW they intend to prevent obesity, or manage obesity, and that's the real crux of the problem. The current conventional wisdom says to cut calories extremely low, primarily by eliminating dietary fat as much as possible, and seriously limiting protein, which is not a recipe for improving health and resistance to illness, even if it results in some weight loss.

Trying to prevent and control obesity means they need to get to the reason why so many more people than ever before are obese: that stupid food pyramid/my plate that has pushed people to eating mostly carbs, not getting nearly enough protein, and limiting fat intake to inflammatory seed oils. This is a problem that is only exacerbated by the processed food industry, which would have you believe that eating Lean Cuisines or Smart Ones constitutes a truly balanced diet, and with such low calories, you can also have a reward of some fat free cookies or fat free cake (sweetened with fruit juice concentrate and dried fruit paste, because that's not sugar, that's just healthy fruit!)

No real solutions provided. Frustrating.

How is the average person who still beleives in the plate method going to accept alternative, more successful, methods?

Our medical leaders and the government agency that puts out the plate method is to blame for the current health crisis.

And their message has not altered in the US.
  #273   ^
Old Sat, Sep-05-20, 16:38

Plan: verylowcarb
Stats: 223/205/165 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Regarding the virus. Here is the data, see the link for direct data, graphs, illnesses, age etc.

6% of the people who died of Covid were not suffering from other serious illnesses.

94% of the deaths were people with 2-3 other serious illnesses (comorbidities) contributing to death. Plus most of those people were advanced age (between 74-85 and older).

Here is the link for the data in the US. Each country has pretty much more or less similar data, posted on each country's government site. Just go to the source and look at the data. Take care!

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/...1uOiSf5 WkuwSo
  #274   ^
Old Sun, Sep-06-20, 12:06

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

A few cases that made the news were thin ~40-yr-old vegans who ran marathons and ate plenty of healthywholegrains, which the MSM considers to be the height of healthiness.

However, when I was a ~40-yr-old vegan (for a couple of years), I developed all sorts of inflammation and immune responses to foods, chemicals & fragrances. I had to become a born-again carnivore to recover my health.
  #275   ^
Old Sun, Sep-06-20, 16:13

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

30% of people who didn't go to the hospital, and 70% of those who did, are suffering from "long covid" where symptoms linger enough to keep them from normal activities.

They are showing signs of "chronic fatigue," which has no conventional treatment. That's extremely worrying.
  #276   ^
Old Sun, Sep-06-20, 17:58

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
30% of people who didn't go to the hospital, and 70% of those who did, are suffering from "long covid" where symptoms linger enough to keep them from normal activities.

They are showing signs of "chronic fatigue," which has no conventional treatment. That's extremely worrying.

This IS concerning. IMHO it points to a chronically sick body. As a population, humans who eat modern foods, and all the associated modern poluution, stress, etc., are we doomed to chronic illnesses. Looks like covid is another chonic illness.
  #277   ^
Old Sun, Sep-06-20, 21:20

Plan: verylowcarb
Stats: 223/205/165 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:

Can you show us the source for this information?
  #278   ^
Old Mon, Sep-07-20, 06:53

BF:

I remembered reading about "long covid" not long ago, so I went searching for stats.

Here's an article from The Atlantic which is the first place I've found any stats.

Quote:
A few formal studies have hinted at the lingering damage that COVID-19 can inflict. In an Italian study, 87 percent of hospitalized patients still had symptoms after two months; a British study found similar trends. A German study that included many patients who recovered at home found that 78 percent had heart abnormalities after two or three months. A team from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that a third of 270 nonhospitalized patients hadn’t returned to their usual state of health after two weeks. (For comparison, roughly 90 percent of people who get the flu recover within that time frame.)

I'll continue to look for more articles that show stats, but decided to post this one for now, because it has links to the Italian, British, and German studies, as well as a link to the CDC info about it taking longer to recover from covid than flu.
  #279   ^
Old Mon, Sep-07-20, 07:24

BF:

Quote:

This is interesting though.

Susceptibility to a bad case of covid could be related to a high carb or SAD diet, due to the co-morbidities involved in the worst cases.

The long covid symptoms are also related to inflammatory conditions and co-rmobidities which lead back to a high carb or SAD diet.

"Chronic fatigue" is described as extreme fatigue lasting 6 months or more. I'm surprised I wasn't diagnosed with chronic fatigue when I was young, but perhaps they just didn't have a name for the constant exhaustion and sleepiness back in the 50's-60's. When I was diagnosed as hypoglycemic in the 70's, drastically reduced carb intake was prescribed, and it helped significantly. (The Dr put me on the diabetic diet of the time, which allowed small amounts of carbs such as bread and potatoes, which I estimate to have been a little over 100g/day. It didn't take me long to decide that the servings of those carbs were so small spread over the day that it wasn't even worth bothering with 1/2 baked potato, or one slice of bread at a meal.)

I wonder if the ones experiencing long covid would start to improve more quickly (at least their chronic fatigue symptoms), if they ditched the carbs. Surely it helps those who were suddenly diagnosed with diabetes due to covid, and they would hopefully see improvements in other long covid symptoms too.
  #280   ^
Old Mon, Sep-07-20, 07:26

BF:

Just search engine "long covid." It's everywhere.

Quote:
From ‘brain fog’ to heart damage, COVID-19’s lingering problems alarm scientists

“Everybody talks about a binary situation, you either get it mild and recover quickly, or you get really sick and wind up in the ICU,” says Akrami, who falls into neither category. Thousands echo her story in online COVID-19 support groups. Outpatient clinics for survivors are springing up, and some are already overburdened. Akrami has been waiting more than 4 weeks to be seen at one of them, despite a referral from her general practitioner.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...larm-scientists
  #281   ^
Old Mon, Sep-07-20, 07:27

BF:

I heard some of this data, not all, in a report on NPR radio a couple weeks ago. However, their reporting was surprisingly vague , limited, and no statistics. Just a blurb on some patients that experienced covid also suffered long term fatigue.

Data quoted above far more concrete, and reliable.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Mon, Sep-07-20 at 08:03.
  #282   ^
Old Mon, Sep-07-20, 07:30

BF:

The best expert I know on chronic fatigue is Dr. Sarah Myhill. She has books and a website:

https://www.drmyhill.co.uk/

And recommends a ketogenic diet. We're all on the right track! That puts us far ahead of the average person in recognizing core issues.
  #283   ^
Old Sun, Sep-27-20, 01:25

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Correcting Britain's Vitamin D deficiency could save thousands of lives

A groundbreaking new study points to a cheap, safe, effective way of tackling Covid

Matt Ridley and David Davis

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...save-thousands/

Quote:
As we face six tough months of curfews, isolation and economic misery, with vaccines a distant hope, testing struggling to control the virus, and the hospitalisation rate once again rising, it’s surely time to try anything reasonable to slow the pandemic down. There is one chemical that is known to be safe, known to be needed by many people anyway, known to have a clinically proven track record of helping people fight off respiratory diseases, and is so cheap no big firm is pushing it: vitamin D. It is not a silver bullet, but growing evidence suggests that it might help prevent Covid turning serious in some people.

In May, arguments on the link between Vitamin D deficiency and its association with poor Covid outcomes started to gather pace. That month, the Health Secretary’s attention was drawn to two studies showing a strong association between the incidence and severity of Covid-19 with vitamin D deficiencies in the patients. Vadim Backman of Northwestern University, one of the authors of one of those studies, said about healthy levels of vitamin D that “Our analysis shows that it might be as high as cutting the mortality rate in half.”

When asked to look at the evidence, Matt Hancock perfectly reasonably handed the question to Public Health England to answer. They attempted to analyse the statistical data and came up unconvinced. The problem is that a correlation is not a proof of cause and effect, and a correlation (albeit a very strong one) is all that we had at that point. Or almost all that we had.

The gold standard of medical research is the randomised controlled trial. Back in May, we had no such test for vitamin D and Covid-19. Now we do. The world’s first randomised control trial on vitamin D and Covid has just been published. The results are clear-cut. The trial, which took place in Spain at the Reina Sofía University Hospital, involved 76 patients suffering from Covid-19. Fifty of those patients were given vitamin D. The remaining 26 were not. Half of those not given Vitamin D became so sick that they needed to be put on intensive care. By comparison, only one person who was given Vitamin D requiring ICU admission.

Put another way, the use of Vitamin D reduced a patient’s risk of needing intensive care 25-fold. Two patients who did not receive Vitamin D died. And while the sample is too small to conclude that Vitamin D abolishes the risk of death in Covid patients, it is nonetheless an astonishing result, and corresponds with Prof Backman’s assertion that correcting vitamin deficiency might cut mortality by half. The Government should now act on this latest evidence.

Vitamin D cannot be obtained from a normal diet, but is synthesised by summer sunshine. It is unusual among vitamins in being deficient in much of the British population especially towards the end of winter and especially among at-risk groups such as the elderly, obese, and black and minority ethnic groups.

Vitamins are useless as medications in people who already have sufficient of them; they only work in those who are deficient. So this is not a call to boost a vitamin that is already present in sufficient quantity in most people. Britain has a national policy already of wanting to redress the widespread winter deficiency of vitamin D.

We have two possible courses of action. The first, as we called for back in May, is for people to up their intake of Vitamin D through supplements. The NHS providing free Vitamin D supplements to at risk groups is the easiest and most straightforward option. Vitamin D supplementation is cheap – it costs less than a penny a pill – and readily available. If you allocated this to the identified comorbidity risk group it would cost £45 million: to these, plus to every ethnic minority citizen, about £200 million, to every obese person somewhat more. These costs are trivial rounding errors by comparison with the costs of lockdown.

The second option would be to do what the Nordics do and fortify food with vitamin D, including bread, flour and milk. The ideal approach would be to undertake both options at the same time, along with a public health education campaign.

We have good reason to think vitamin D supplementation will help reduce mortality from Covid-19 and we know it can reduce the incidence and severity of the other acute respiratory illnesses. With hospitals already facing pressures from influenza during the winter months, any way of reducing this strain should be taken up. This will no doubt save thousands of lives in any second wave. There is now no reason not to act.

David Davis is a Conservative MP. Matt Ridley’s new book ‘How Innovation Works’ is published by HarperCollins
  #284   ^
Old Sun, Sep-27-20, 03:06

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

There was a flurry of studies on Vitamin D back in May, https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/202...severe-covid-19 now the government thinks it is time to take some steps to correct deficiencies? Btw, the excellent Vitamin D thread on this forum is under Challenges rather than supplements section. More posts on the topic at https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?p=9376614

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Sep-27-20 at 03:12.
  #285   ^
Old Sun, Sep-27-20, 06:50

BF:

I've not heard a peep in the US on vitamin D3........

JEY, Are you being sarcastic?