Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-18, 12:49
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%
Default Bad food habit

I just hate that think I deserve to buy a treat because I bought new groceries. It's a long-term ingrained habit. I ran out of salad 2 weeks ago and haven't gone to the store because I love the candy bin chocolate covered peanuts.

I rationalize that chocolate and peanuts are both health foods!

I also rationalize that buying new groceries is like starting over so it makes sense to get that treat in.

Because of rT3 problem I also tell myself that eating a bit of sugar increases my metabolism. This seems to be true since I'm freezing cold all time, eat sugar suddenly I'm blazing hot.

How do I change a habit that I love? Do I have to change it?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-18, 14:33

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I tend to compromise. In the example you gave, I might get some 85%+ dark chocolate, or a small packet of peanuts or nuts, so there are basically not enough their to binge. Or I'll divert entirely, get some pepperoni sticks, pork rinds, or cream cheese, things that I'll enjoy very much but that won't throw me off for very long, even if I'll probably overeat a bit the day I buy them.

Deciding what I'm going to buy before I'm in the store might help--I find if I'm on some sort of set menu, so I'm pretty much buying the same stuff every week, then I'm not tempted, making decisions while I'm actually shopping sort of throws things up in the air. Anything might happen.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-18, 16:22
Registered Member

I am extremely enthused about dark chocolate and nuts! I'll try the list too. You are full of good ideas. A while back you suggested taco salads that are my main meal most times.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-18, 19:08

Plan: LCHF / IF
Stats: 333/113/138 Female 5'6"
BF:BMI 56/18/22
Progress: 113%

I eat both dark chocolate and nuts
I always have a Lindt 90% Cocoa Supreme Dark Chocolate in my refrigerator for when I get the urge hehe - and I enjoy all sorts of nuts too
Where I live in Australia, I order my groceries online, and they get home delivered - cuts out temptation for me
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-18, 21:47
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluej
I eat both dark chocolate and nuts
I always have a Lindt 90% Cocoa Supreme Dark Chocolate in my refrigerator for when I get the urge hehe - and I enjoy all sorts of nuts too
Where I live in Australia, I order my groceries online, and they get home delivered - cuts out temptation for me

Well since you lost 113lbs eating dark chocolate, it probably won't cause a stall. I googled 85% was 9 carbs, very doable. I'm thinking of melting it, a little whip cream and calling it chocolate pudding.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-24-18, 00:19

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I keep a bar of ghirardelli 100% cacao chocolate bar near by. It is bitter but also satisfying. The 60% cacao chocolate bits taste very sweet now, and dont invite me to eat more.
15 gram which is 1/2 oz is THREE carbs. Nuts are also somewhat high. I cant eat just one, so one leads me into trouble.

Food is your friend. PErhap consider buy what keeps you satisfied and within bounds including the foods that make you happy. The ones that fit your food choices.

Crunchy pork rinds go a long way, with a lc dip.

Also check out the many recipes posted on utube that are low carb.

I make a chocolate candy combining cocoa, fats like butter and cocoanut oil, splenda, shredded coconut and nuts. Make a bark. If that is too plain add very small amount of vanilla extract, and dried coffee granules.

A lc brownie is popular with my kids, uses chocolate protein powder like Muscle Milk.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-24-18, 00:36

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

My boys like Chocolate whip.
tofu-1
heavy cream-2 cups
diet chocolate pudding mix- 2 boxes
vanilla extract--1tsp
cocoa powder--1tablespoon
coffee crystals--1/2 rsp
cinnamon--1/2 tsp

add water tp thin to preferred consistecy

We prefer the texture of the silken tofu, and use the liquid in the package.

Use an exlectric mixer. Start with the tofu. Add the flavorings. Mix together on medium and crape sides a couple times. stop machine and add pudding mix and cream. Mix on high until thick and whipped.

My boys LOVE this, and dont leave much for me.

The proportion can be altered to fit your tastes. We dont like the flavor of the tofu that can creep thru if not disguised.

THe original recipe used twice the tofu and makes a big batch.

Perhaps try a half batch. tofu in an open package doesnt keep though.

Perhaps this snack is of interest: mix snipped chives and dried gralic granules into cream cheese or sour cream, and use as dip with celery....if you like that sort of thing. The crunch of the celery can be satisfying and the chew.

THe effect of the sugar is not a good thing, sorry. I eat sugar and I get a hot flash. Foods dont lie. lol

Have you looked at the 90 day new habit challenge. You decide what you want to change or do or maintain for 90 days AND you decide how many non-comliance days suit you during those 90 days. A great way to change habits..
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-24-18, 02:37

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

My regular chocolate is zotter Labooko Peru 100%. 11g carbs per 100 g, I eat about 10 g a day so just over 1 g. For a special treat I order a selection pack of 100% chocolate bars from Cocoa Runners. Amazing variation in flavour between different makes.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-24-18, 03:57

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Also, consider non-food "treats." I like finding a used book online that isn't available on Kindle. That's a treat!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-24-18, 05:29

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I gave up eating dark chocolate because it led to my eating too much of it in a single sitting or a single day. I view using food as a reward or treat as problematic.

Jean
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-24-18, 10:31
Registered Member

Ms Arielle that is so great that your kids are eating low carb treats! I'll have to think over your suggestions.

Ambulo I googled the first sentence said Austrian chocolate - I'm in!!!
(I think I'm too enthused.)
I cannot keep certain kinds of treats around, I have to make it a single serving.

Last edited by nawchem : Sat, Mar-24-18 at 10:50.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Mar-24-18, 10:45
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I gave up eating dark chocolate because it led to my eating too much of it in a single sitting or a single day. I view using food as a reward or treat as problematic.

Jean

I'm the same way about having sugary food around at all.

I'm thinking on the treat idea. I think it's a story I tell myself because some foods have such an addictive attraction to me. I moved away for 5 years and couldn't find them and I still thought about the chocolate covered peanuts every time I went shopping.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Mar-24-18, 10:49
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Also, consider non-food "treats." I like finding a used book online that isn't available on Kindle. That's a treat!

I am going shopping today. Having an hour with a good book is a treat. I have to figure out who I am?
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Mar-24-18, 19:40

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I've had to switch to non-food treats for the most part. My occasional food treats are Laughing Cow cheese or a wedge of Asiago - but only if they're on sale. Or I make a very low carb dessert. Since I have a problem with binging I don't dare buy anything that could trigger a binge.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Mar-24-18, 21:29
Registered Member

I'm the same way Bonnie.

I went to 2 stores today and didn't find any dark chocolate. I'd given up, but they had little Ghiradelli squares for sale at the register (impulse buy). I had 8 small bites of chocolate for 13 carbs and I've felt absolutely starved ever since.