Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-05, 13:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/185/155 Female 67
BF:22%
Progress: 63%
Default Need Help Maintaining Weight

I've been at my goal weight for a while and I have noticed that to maintain my weight I have to eat a low amount of carbs (20-25) a day. If I go above that I start to gain weight. Although when I gain five pounds (so when I'm at 160) I can eat all the low carb food I want and not have to worry about my carb intake and I wont gain any more weight. I really feel best at 155 but I am having a problem maintaining this weight. I know it is just five pounds, but I can really feel the difference. Does any one else have this problem? And any suggestions on what I can do?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-05, 15:39

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 275/235/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

did you go through the 4 phases of atkins or did you stick to a low amt of carbs until goal. not sure but if you did not do atkins as written, you screwed up. not sure what to do but post a thread and ask for suggestions dig yourself out of this one!! p.s. congrats on reaching goal.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-05, 16:48
Registered Member

Stats: 235/185/155 Female 67
BF:22%
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWCARBR
did you go through the 4 phases of atkins or did you stick to a low amt of carbs until goal. not sure but if you did not do atkins as written, you screwed up. not sure what to do but post a thread and ask for suggestions dig yourself out of this one!! p.s. congrats on reaching goal.

I hate to admit I did do atkins as written untill my last 10 pounds and I then I "screwed up" and lost the last 10 pounds on a strict induction phase and tried to maintain a low amount of calories. Maybe if I slowed down and went through all the phases again, I could up my carb level without gaining any weight. I know I should do this. but for some reason it scares me.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-05, 20:53

Stats: 212/174/155 Female 5'11"
BF:size 18/12-14/8
Progress: 67%

I do not think you screwed up. It's just time to start making adjustments.

I feel it's important for me to have a 5 lbs buffer. I don't stress over the buffer, I accept it. I think it takes a lot of mental adjustment to do that.

I was VERY thin for years but I never weighed the same constantly, I always wavered from 5 lbs above to 5 lbs below my "normal" weight.

So the first thing I suggest is coming to terms with that 5 lbs. You have the tools behind you to know how to take those 5 lbs off and not let it get out of control.

As far as raising your carb level for maintaining. You say you gain whenever you eat higher carb foods. Are you eating those higher carbs in bulk? A whole dinner followed by dessert? Can you attribute a gain to certain foods?

I really suggest people, even at goal but want to raise their carb level, start again with OWL. Raise your carbs in 5 carb increments and follow the ladder. I believe it helps in more structured eating, you learn more what foods your body can handle. Even if a food is included in the ladder, such as nuts, does not mean every person can eat them without a gain. Everyone is individual and we each have individual sensitivities to foods.

If you start getting bored with the whole 5 carb thing and are doing fine, bump them up by 10 at a time.

By doing it slowly, your body will slowly start adjusting to the added carbs and accepting the added carbs without a gain.